which multi-tool is best?

Old January 24th 05, 05:48 PM
rob crompton

Default which multi-tool is best?

I broke my Kool Tool, and they don't seem to be available anymore -
though i'd be pleased to hear otherwise. (I deserved it - i was trying
to undo a cross threaded pedal with the Kool Tool adjustable spanner
and a 12" adjustable for more leverage - the adjustable bit of the jaw
broke off. But I was desperate at the time)

So what's the best minimal but adequate tool out there? Requirements
would be at least chain tool, pedal spanner, usual allen keys, cross
and flat screwdriver and some kind of sockets/spanner capability.
Topeak Alien II looks promising but rather expensive.

cheers.

Old January 24th 05, 06:53 PM
Call me Bob

On 24 Jan 2005 09:48:23 -0800, "rob crompton"
wrote:

I broke my Kool Tool, and they don't seem to be available anymore -
though i'd be pleased to hear otherwise. (I deserved it - i was trying
to undo a cross threaded pedal with the Kool Tool adjustable spanner
and a 12" adjustable for more leverage - the adjustable bit of the jaw
broke off. But I was desperate at the time)

So what's the best minimal but adequate tool out there? Requirements
would be at least chain tool, pedal spanner, usual allen keys, cross
and flat screwdriver and some kind of sockets/spanner capability.
Topeak Alien II looks promising but rather expensive.

I'm not a fan of purpose built multi-tools, I think they are a triumph
of marketing over function. To my mind you're better off putting
together your own custom cluster of tiny bits. With careful choice
you'll end up with far superior tools that take up no more space than
an all in one (in fact, they can be easier to cram into small packs
because they're individual elements, not one single lump.) You can
also take only what you need, and nothing extra, as is the case with
most multi-tools.

I carry a Facom 1/4" drive sliding T, a small 50mm extension and a bit
adapter with a selection of hex and screwdriver bits. See he

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool1.jpg

I promise you these will take *way* more abuse than an Alien without
letting you down, and given your pedal extraction technique described
above, it sounds like you need reliability

There's a 50p piece there for scale, and the seatpack is the smallest
in the Topeak range, just enough room for an innertube with a few
tools on top.

That's a very small bundle, and very flexible too. Carry just the
appropriate size bits for the bike you are on and if you want socket
capability too, throw in a couple of 1/4" drive sockets as well.

You'll need a compact stand alone chain tool, but these are widely
available. Just having had a look, I'm wondering if this head unit
could be made to work with a T bar and extension:

http://tinyurl.com/46aop

Might make a super compact option, and only 20 grams.

Your other requirement is a pedal spanner, but I think you're asking a
lot here from a portable tool. That's about the nastiest union on a
bike, and almost anything you carry along is going to struggle if the
pedal decides to be a *******.

As long as the threads were greased when installed, and not left to
seize for months on end, then you should be able to do most pedals
with the T bar and hex head bit (assuming good quality tools). Other
than that your best option is maybe a 6" adjustable... but I wouldn't
want to lug one around.

Anyway, that's my suggestion as an alternative to a multi-tool, make
yer own.

--

Call me "Bob"

"More oneness, less categories,
Open hearts, no strategies"

Old January 24th 05, 08:30 PM
Pete Biggs

wrote:

I broke my Kool Tool, and they don't seem to be available anymore -
though i'd be pleased to hear otherwise. (I deserved it - i was
trying to undo a cross threaded pedal with the Kool Tool adjustable
spanner and a 12" adjustable for more leverage - the adjustable bit
of the jaw broke off. But I was desperate at the time)

So what's the best minimal but adequate tool out there? Requirements
would be at least chain tool, pedal spanner, usual allen keys, cross
and flat screwdriver and some kind of sockets/spanner capability.
Topeak Alien II looks promising but rather expensive.

Try and do without a pedal spanner, Rob.

I'm not a fan of purpose built multi-tools, I think they are a triumph
of marketing over function. To my mind you're better off putting
together your own custom cluster of tiny bits. With careful choice
you'll end up with far superior tools that take up no more space than
an all in one (in fact, they can be easier to cram into small packs
because they're individual elements, not one single lump.) You can
also take only what you need, and nothing extra, as is the case with
most multi-tools.

Tend to agree, although it doesn't stop me thinking about buying one each
time I see one :-)

I carry a Facom 1/4" drive sliding T, a small 50mm extension and a bit
adapter with a selection of hex and screwdriver bits. See he

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool2.jpg

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool1.jpg

Not as heavy-duty or versatile but the Topeak ToolBar is lighter and its
head will take standard 1/4" bits and sockets with an adapter. It's
rather neat & comfortable, I like it. Only half-length bits can be stored
inside the body, though.

~PB

Old January 24th 05, 09:17 PM
Call me Bob

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:30:39 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
wrote:

I'm not a fan of purpose built multi-tools

Tend to agree, although it doesn't stop me thinking about buying one each
time I see one :-)

Tools, innit. We are powerless in the face of their shiny glare.

Old January 24th 05, 11:52 PM
Simon Brooke

in message .com, rob
crompton ') wrote:

I broke my Kool Tool, and they don't seem to be available anymore -
though i'd be pleased to hear otherwise. (I deserved it - i was trying
to undo a cross threaded pedal with the Kool Tool adjustable spanner
and a 12" adjustable for more leverage - the adjustable bit of the jaw
broke off. But I was desperate at the time)

So what's the best minimal but adequate tool out there? Requirements
would be at least chain tool, pedal spanner, usual allen keys, cross
and flat screwdriver and some kind of sockets/spanner capability.
Topeak Alien II looks promising but rather expensive.

I have the Alien, it's a very nice and useful piece of kit. With an
Alien, a crank tool and a cone spanner you can completely strip a bike;
I often use it in in my workshop in preference to getting the toolbox
out.

However Edinburgh Bike Co-op sell a clone of it - in two separate pieces
presumably to avoid Topeak's patents - for very much less: the 'Lifu
Pocket 12' and 'Lifu Pocket 7' for twenty-one quid the pair. Allegedly
these snap together like the two halves of the Alien. I can't comment
on their quality. The Co-op also offers the Specialized EMT Comp for
twenty quid which is a known brand and reasonable quality. I have one
of these, too - but I prefer the Alien. It's expensive, but it's worth
it.

Old January 25th 05, 08:58 AM
Jeremy Collins

Call me Bob wrote:

I carry a Facom 1/4" drive sliding T, a small 50mm extension and a bit
adapter with a selection of hex and screwdriver bits. See he

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool2.jpg

Ooh, tidy. Do you remember where you got it?

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old January 25th 05, 10:27 AM
Call me Bob

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 08:58:09 GMT, Jeremy Collins
wrote:

I carry a Facom 1/4" drive sliding T, a small 50mm extension and a bit
adapter with a selection of hex and screwdriver bits. See he

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/gareth..../MiniTool2.jpg

Ooh, tidy. Do you remember where you got it?

They're standard hand tools, you'll get them from any good tool store.

If you want those particularly then get out the yellow pages and find
your local Facom dealer, the part numbers a

T bar R120
50mm ext R209
Bit holder R235

Should be about £20 altogether, with VAT and a bit of discount.

You could save a few quid by purchasing a different brand, but then
Facom 1/4" drive stuff is the best quality available and will last you
the rest of your life. You'll find too that other brands are slightly
fatter and heavier in the hand (and seat pack), perhaps important to
you.

Old January 25th 05, 11:31 AM
Jeremy Collins

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info. My local B&Q doesn't have such things, or I
certainly would have got one by now. I searched Screwfix without luck
too. I'll ask at my local hardware shop, which is eye-wateringly
expensive but has good staff who can probably help me get one.

I usually carry a key-ring thing full of standard allen keys,
which is a bit cumbersome, plus I have to share them between
my cycle bag and toolbox, so they're often in the wrong place.

--
jc

Remove the -not from email
Old January 25th 05, 11:34 AM
Alan Braggins

In article , Call me Bob wrote:
On 24 Jan 2005 09:48:23 -0800, "rob crompton"
wrote:

[...]

That's a very small bundle, and very flexible too. Carry just the
appropriate size bits for the bike you are on and if you want socket
capability too, throw in a couple of 1/4" drive sockets as well.

You'll need a compact stand alone chain tool, but these are widely
available.

And a spoke key (and possibly a knife and bottle opener to match the
Alien). (The Alien does have a little pedal spanner too, but I have
serious doubts about whether it would handle a remotely stuck pedal,
so long as your pedals can be done with a hex bit instead that's
almost certainly a better bet).
Old January 25th 05, 02:49 PM
Tom Jackson

wrote:

So what's the best minimal but adequate tool out there?

Slightly more minimalist than your reqs but I like the crank bros
multitools - they're reasonably light but strong, the chain tool is
exvellent (I use it as my main chain splitter).

I bought mine from Cyclexpres, post free:

http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/product...7_Tool_664.asp

cheers,
tom.

Park Tool Sox jerryo Marketplace 0 December 7th 04 05:44 PM
FS: Park Tool Brake Third Hand Tool, $5 shipped Rob Barnes Marketplace 1 June 11th 04 03:11 AM
FA: Campagnolo Freewheel Tool Kit The Ink Company Marketplace 0 September 23rd 03 03:09 AM
Gift certificates, tool selection, toy selection [2nd try] Rick Onanian Techniques 11 September 18th 03 04:23 AM
mutant cassette lockring tool g.daniels Techniques 4 July 11th 03 04:38 PM