ANOTHER Death Caused by Mountain Biking

Old May 30th 08, 07:20 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.backcountry,sci.environment
Galen Hekhuis

Default ANOTHER Death Caused by Hiking.

On Fri, 30 May 2008 12:47:50 -0500, PatOConnell
wrote:

the Moderator wrote:
"PatOConnell" wrote in message
Siskuwihane wrote:
So much for the health benefits of hiking...
Falling is not hiking. So don't fall; it's not healthy.
[crossposts reduced]

If you haven't fallen, you haven't hiked.

I'm a caver. Cavers learn not to do unsafe things (like falling),
avoiding injury and rescue (which can be a lot worse in a cave than on
the surface).

That's pretty true. I remember chatting with an EMT type back in the
far reaches of a cave. We had spent the last 24 hrs or so hauling
supplies (for the exploration team) through several many crawlways and
not a few "interesting" climbs. We tried to imagine what we could do
if someone fell and hurt themselves in such a manner that they could
not walk out. After several minutes the best we figured we could do
was maybe string in enough wire to power a light bulb or something to
keep the victim warm. That was about it. Best not to fall.
Galen Hekhuis