Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cycles away.

Old July 1st 18, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Cyclist mows down child, attacks lady witness and then cyclesaway.

On 09/06/2018 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:
On 08/06/2018 09:49, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Thu, 07 Jun 2018 16:27:31 GMT, MrCheerful
wrote:

On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:
On Wed, 06 Jun 2018 20:01:16 GMT, JNugent
wrote:

[]

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

no, it is prejudice based on the behaviour of users of said mode of
transport.
If the majority of the users were sensible, law abiding and behaved
with normal manners and sensibilities then no-one would have any
problem with them.

Well, quite. Sadly there are many poor drivers in charge of large lumps
of metal endangering other road users every minute of the day. And
apologists who come here willing to blame all of societies ills on a
minority.

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing to
with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills.

Do you believe that the Earth is flat as well? You might as well. It'd
be just as logical as that belief.

In a car you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.

Oh, the irony, as any London pedestrian who has had the temerity to
cross the road at a zebra or pelicon can attest.

Old July 1st 18, 11:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 09/06/2018 13:14, TMS320 wrote:
On 09/06/18 11:16, Simon Jester wrote:
On Saturday, June 9, 2018 at 10:37:07 AM UTC+1, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 10:12, MrCheerful wrote:

Can you point out where 'all society's ills' are blamed on cyclists?

Most of your links describe criminal activities that have nothing to
with riding a bike.

I believe cars are responsible for a lot of society's ills. In a car
you are your own little world and other people are just in the way.

In a car, I feel hemmed in and constrained. A bike gives a very
different view of the world. I believe I transfer some of the feeling of
vulnerability, the spatial and defensive skills learned on a bike into
driving.

In the past when people walked, cycled and used the bus they had to
cooperate with their fellow man. Just look at the way drivers push
into queues, behaviour that would not have been tolerated in the past.
Now we see the same ME FIRST attitude everywhere.

There is a massive level of hypocrisy amongst people that only see the
the world through the windscreen and mutter about various perceived
faults of a person they see riding a bike.

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

That is a lie.

Why do you tell such lies?
Old July 1st 18, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 10/06/2018 17:09, TMS320 wrote:

[ ... ]

Using the road is
about people going from one place to another, for whatever purpose, and
encountering a person crossing the road is no different to having a 44
tonne lorry in the way. Some people don't seem able to cope with that.

It's cyclists, you're thinking of.

A red light at a pelicon or the yellow beacons at a zebra might as well
not exist for many cyclists, especially most cyclists in London.

I'm glad we agree on that.
Old July 2nd 18, 09:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

JNugent wrote:
On 10/06/2018 17:09, TMS320 wrote:

Using the road is about people going from one place to another, for
whatever purpose, and encountering a person crossing the road is no
different to having a 44 tonne lorry in the way. Some people don't seem
able to cope with that.

It's cyclists, you're thinking of.

A red light at a pelicon or the yellow beacons at a zebra might as well
not exist for many cyclists, especially most cyclists in London.

10% of cyclists found to jump red lights (Sunday Times study, November
2013)

14% of psychopaths jump red lights (Direct Line survey, August 2011)

31% of psychopaths admit to using a mobile phone whilst driving (Direct
Line survey, March 2012, RAC Report on Motoring 2013)

23% of psychopaths confess to texting whilst at the wheel (RAC Report on
Motoring 2012, Direct Line survey, March 2012)

11% of drivers admit to accessing email or social media while driving – RAC
Report on Motoring 2012

18% of drivers admit to accessing the internet while driving – IAM survey,
July 2015

9% of drivers admit to having taken a selfie within the last month while
driving – IAM survey, July 2015

8% of drivers admit to using video calling while driving – IAM survey, July
2015

7% of drivers admit to watching video while driving – IAM survey, July 2015

Same old Nugent, same old **** arguments that you can rip to shreds in
seconds.

Y.
--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old July 2nd 18, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/07/18 23:43, JNugent wrote:
On 09/06/2018 10:36, TMS320 wrote:
On 08/06/18 00:17, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2018 20:47, TMS320 wrote:
On 07/06/18 17:23, JNugent wrote:
On 07/06/2018 15:28, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

Well done; no unseemly hating of groups of people just because of
where
they live. Just prejudice based on mode of transport!

No prejudice. It all arises out of experience and acquired
information, much of it gained in this very NG.

You and Cheerless clearly live a very sheltered existence.

The exact opposite, I'm afraid.

"acquired information, much of it gained in this very NG". I rest my
case.

I wish it weren't; I really do.

I wish cyclists today were as law-abiding and sociable as cyclists
were in the 1950s. Don't you?

To people of a certain age and beyond the past is always a golden era.
Culture has changed out of recognition since the 50's. Not that I was
there and only have black & white films to go by.

You take an occasional report about a "cyclist" doing something wrong
(which invariably has nothing to do with actually riding the bike) and
choose not to compare with the population at large.

I really don't care about obedience to the law when what is important is
the safety of others. It ought to be a given that, compared to a driver,
a person on a bike cannot afford (on average) to be selfish.

Sp do you agree, or disagree, that as a class of road-user, cyclists
used to be much more law-compliant and courteous than they tend to be
nowadays?

Oh hello. It says a great deal about you that after such a long break
you can't mark all threads as read and start with a clean sheet.

To answer your question. I cannot compare today to the 50's. I told you
so above. Besides, when out walking the danger comes from motor
vehicles. We should arrange a meeting somewhere so you can show me what
you're talking about.
Old July 2nd 18, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 01/07/18 23:48, JNugent wrote:
On 09/06/2018 13:14, TMS320 wrote:

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

That is a lie.

Why do you tell such lies?

Look up your post of 09/05/18 01:54

Old July 3rd 18, 12:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 02/07/2018 22:23, TMS320 wrote:
On 01/07/18 23:48, JNugent wrote:
On 09/06/2018 13:14, TMS320 wrote:

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

That is a lie.

Why do you tell such lies?

Look up your post of 09/05/18 01:54

My "Sent" folder goes back only to 22/05/18.
Old July 3rd 18, 12:18 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 03/07/2018 00:10, JNugent wrote:
On 02/07/2018 22:23, TMS320 wrote:
On 01/07/18 23:48, JNugent wrote:
On 09/06/2018 13:14, TMS320 wrote:

We've had an example recently. Nugent was berating
me about a lack of respect for pedestrians (I am a cyclist, therefore I
can't have any) and then went on to mention "silly pedestrians" getting
in the way of him in his car.

That is a lie.

Why do you tell such lies?

Look up your post of 09/05/18 01:54

My "Sent" folder goes back only to 22/05/18.

Ah...

You are obviously referring to this:

QUOTE:
I have seen lots of silly people
push prams off footways into the carriageway even as traffic is
approaching. You have seen it too.
ENDQUOTE

Such people are not silly because they are pedestrians. They are silly
because they must know the risk to their child but do it anyway out of
sheer impatience.

A given proportion (even a high proportion) of them is not the same
thing as a high proportions of pedestrians in general, and most
pedestrians (come to that, most people pushing prams and push-chairs)
are more cautious and co-operative.

Still... the question is: did I say ""silly pedestrians"?

I did not.

Your statement was a lie.

Your apology accepted.
Old July 3rd 18, 09:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 03/07/18 00:18, JNugent wrote:
[...]

People going about on foot are known as pedestrians.

Your statement was a lie.

If you want a real liar look in the mirror every time you mangle
somebody else's words out of all recognition.

Your apology accepted.

Do not assume. Needless to say, there isn't one.
Old July 3rd 18, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 02/07/18 10:43, JNugent wrote:
[...]

I have been a bicyclist for about 60 years.
I have not noticed much difference between then and now.