About Trek liquids

Old August 17th 04, 06:27 PM
Dan Volker

"Monique Y. Mudama" wrote in message
On 2004-08-17, Dan Volker penned:

Reading the bull**** posts and boasts that keep coming out of your

mouth,
about how you would be talking tough regardless of where you are , just
makes me wish you had attended USF back when I did---there would have

been
multiple toilets with your name on them :-)

Cool it, Dan. Yes, JD picks on you, but you're sounding mighty immature

there
yourself. No one respects the dude who tries to drag an online conflict

into
a real life fight, or worse yet, crows about the outcome of a fight that
hasn't a chance of every actually transpiring. You're making an awful lot

of
assumptions, apparently based on a picture, and looks can be deceiving. I

had
friends in high school who made a point of looking harmless so that when

they
took their would-be tormentors out, the bullies had no idea what hit 'em.

You, on the other hand, are losing points in the "sympathy" category by
bragging about swirlies you gave in college. Jesus, that's pathetic

enough in
high school, let alone college.

Do us all a favor and killfile JD if he's so objectionable. You're not
winning any friends with your current angle.

--
monique

Monique,
I did not say I was the one doing the toilet dipping to guys like JD...I was
just saying that guys like JD would have had that happening to them, if
they had attended USF, or any other big school.... It was the obvious
reaction which would occur when someone like JD forgot himself ( forgot that
he was a pencil neck) and talked obnoxiously to the wrong people. I would
have enjoyed watching this scenario, if JD had attended USF. They would not
have beaten him up or actually had a fight with him--that would not occur
with someone as physically pathetic as JD. The toilet or equivalent, would
be a much more fitting behavioral modifier, for him to learn his true place
in the world.

The point I am trying to make is that guys that "could" talk like JD talks
here on AMB---(i.e., guys that are physically capable of backing up the
implied physical challenges JD's posts contain) would not actually talk
like that in real life. Guys with this physical capability learn early on,
that tough talk causes real fights, and its not smart to be picking these on
a daily basis, even if you can win them. So they learn a certain amount of
respect which they offer in most verbal exchanges---and this is maintained
up until the moment they decide it is time to actually get physical. JD
starts out with this attitude and talk which would be the last phase, for
anyone who actually had physical abilities in a confrontation--this is just
about proof that he is no more than a chat room poser.

Monique, you have not seen me start out any discussions the way JD does. I
have tried to ignore this, but it is also kind of a pet peeve of
mine---interacting on usenet groups and having some "poser" talk tough, as
if anything could ever come of it--of course it won't. They know this, and
take advantage of it. JD knows he can talk tough to anyone on here, attack
any way he desires, and be free of any consequences ( unlike the way we ALL
exist in real life). Its a perverted aspect of the Internet, and apparently
you and most others on AMB are happy to tolerate it.
I don't see killfiling him as the right response...I don't really know if
there is a right response though.....

Regards,
Dan V

Old August 17th 04, 06:42 PM
S o r n i

On 2004-08-17, Dan Volker penned:

Reading the bull**** posts and boasts that keep coming out of your
mouth, about how you would be talking tough regardless of where you
are , just makes me wish you had attended USF back when I
did---there would have been multiple toilets with your name on them
:-)

[...]

ZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....... ..........................

Bill "Dan, you must have been a carp in a previous life" S.

Old August 17th 04, 07:10 PM
JD

"cc" wrote in message ...
"JD" wrote in message
m...
BTW, Uncle Sam does make real badasses, but those of your ilk wouldn't
know anything about that.

JD, you are truly ridiculous, as is this comment.

No, *this* makes *you* ridiculous: ". We'll add
clueless to that as well.

JD
Old August 17th 04, 07:29 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-17, Dan Volker penned:

Monique, you have not seen me start out any discussions the way JD does. I
have tried to ignore this, but it is also kind of a pet peeve of
mine---interacting on usenet groups and having some "poser" talk tough, as
if anything could ever come of it--of course it won't. They know this, and
take advantage of it. JD knows he can talk tough to anyone on here, attack
any way he desires, and be free of any consequences ( unlike the way we ALL
exist in real life). Its a perverted aspect of the Internet, and apparently
you and most others on AMB are happy to tolerate it. I don't see killfiling
him as the right response...I don't really know if there is a right response
though.....

It doesn't matter who started it. It takes two to keep it going.

Believe me, taking the bait every time is not making you look good.
Killfiling him is the right response.

Your use of the word "tolerate" implies that you think that there's some
action that will "teach JD a lesson" and "make him behave." This is
not a moderated group. There's no way to shut people up, even if there were a
majority in favor of doing so. The best way to deal with someone who annoys
you is to ignore them.

I don't know how much experience you have with online communities, but I have
a ton, and it all, including my previous experiences with JD, supports my
belief that taking the bait does nothing but irritate the rest of the
community. It makes you look bad. Maybe it's not fair, but that's the way it
is.

All of this can be summarized by a long-standing usenet policy: "Don't
feed the trolls."

Anyway, I'm done. Keep shaking your fists at him if you'd like, but realize
this: it won't make a damn bit of difference. JD won't alter his behavior,
and you won't change anyone's opinion about him. People have already made
their decisions about JD based on his posts, just as they are making their
decisions about you based on your posts.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 17th 04, 07:41 PM
Dan Volker

"Gamarús" wrote in message
newspscundjqn7cestu@ruc...
El Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:10:26 -0400, Dan Volker va
escriu

(...)

Thanks Dan for providing such generous information .

And, what say you about uphills with a Liquid 25? Rear shox moves, bounce?
I'm more worried about uphills behaviour, than downhills, as I think you
always have to suffer in uphills, and have fun in downhills. I'd prefer
less suffer than more fun . But obviously, I need more fun than a
downhill with a hardtail.

Best regards,

--

Gamarús

Gamarus,
As to uphills, the bike does weigh a little more than hard tails, so on a
long climb, I expect I will pay for this. But I also expect to pay more for
my extra muscle mass and weight, that does little in a hill climb to assist
;-)

On the shorter climbs--30 to 60 foot steep and rocky, the rear shock on the
Liquid 25 makes this climb much better than the Trek hardtail I used to
ride, or than the Canondale hardtail with monoshock. The rear tire stays in
contact with the dirt much better, and when you run over a rock or root,
traction is maintained much better. I have not felt an issue with bobbing,
due to the spv rear shock---although in fairness to the guys who ride much
bigger hills, since I am riding only short hills, I am in NO position to
comment on bobbing over a long climb---I'm sure in a 30 minute or one hour
climb, any amount of bobbing would feel exagerated, so there are plenty of
people here with much better feedback for you on the effects of this type of
rear shock on a long climb. Where the climb is long and smooth, I'd expect
there'd be much less to favor the Liquid.

Regards,
Dan V

Old August 17th 04, 07:45 PM
BB

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:21:49 -0400, Dan Volker wrote:

Reading the bull**** posts and boasts that keep coming out of your mouth,
about how you would be talking tough regardless of where you are, just
makes me wish you had attended USF back when I did---there would have been
multiple toilets with your name on them :-)

Hint to Dan: not everyone's e-mail is just their ISP. That's all the info
I'm giving you; you'll have to do the rest.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
Old August 17th 04, 07:59 PM
BB

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 01:54:45 +0200, Gamarús wrote:

And, what say you about uphills with a Liquid 25? Rear shox moves, bounce?
I'm more worried about uphills behaviour, than downhills, as I think you
always have to suffer in uphills, and have fun in downhills.

Since your original post mentioned Euros, the fact that he rides in
Florida (and he DID point this out) might not have meant much to you. This
is pretty flat territory - just small hills around creeks and lakes. LOTS
of roots, FWIK. Dan never claimed he had big downhills - he specified
downhills of 20 to 60 feet - this is like 6-20 meters. No long uphills to
suffer there.

Its not rocket science. If you're a big guy riding big stuff, you'll
probably break a light bike. If you're an average-size guy riding trails
without big drops, a lighter bike will probably last quite awhile. Unless
your reference is someone of similar weight riding similar trails, its
probably mostly irrelevant.

Old August 17th 04, 08:07 PM
mark_kendrick

JD Wrote:
"Dan Vo2lker" wrote in message
I bought 2 Trek Liquid 25's back around last Christmas, one for

myself and
one for my girlfriend. When I bought my Liquid, I was weighing 237

pounds,
and needed the 5 inch full suspension to make very rooty trails more
comfortable to ride---

HAHAHAHA

I believe a rider over 200 pounds "needs" more travel
than a 145 pound rider, due to the greater inertial mass.

Can you say "fallacy"? Nobody *needs* travel, except goobers who are
conned by the marketing creeps.

In any event, the
Trek Liquid worked perfectly for me, and handled plenty of abuse.

Yeah, we've seen how "abusive" your trails are. What a laugh...again.

snip more non-expert opinion

As to high speed descending, I have been riding this bike in Florida

snip laughable claims/terrain

Tell us all, Vo2lker, how does one descend a molehill? What's the
high point in Fla?

I'll have it in the North Carolina area soon, where I can ride on

some real
mountain sized downhills, but for now I feel confident in saying the

Liquid
is a good bike.

A glowing review from someone who doesn't know jack shiite, except the
sad little world of Fla "mountain biking". What a joke.

JDDoes the 'J' stand for jackass?

Some of my favorite riding is done up and down a course that has about
50' of elevation change.
just because you don't run downhill for 3-4 minutes doesn't mean you
don't know what downhill means.

I've ridden climbs and daownhills that were only 50yds long that could
kill you. To assume that anyone who doesn't live near a couple thousand
feet of elevation change isn't a mountainbiker will get your ass handed
to you in a race.

grow up looser.

--
mark_kendrick

Old August 17th 04, 08:23 PM
S o r n i

mark_kendrick wrote:

grow up looser.

And wear the world like a lose varmint.

Bill "tight not right" S.

Old August 17th 04, 08:31 PM
SuperSlinky

=?iso-8859-15?Q?Gamar=FAs?= said...

Yes, LX really works fine enough. I have LX at my Trek 6700 . But,
Liquid 25 has a mix of LX/XT components and other brands in brakes, and as
I'll upgrade to a better bike, I would like a complete XT. No worried
about, I think I'll be able to change in the shop.

The Liquid 25 on the American web site has Hayes HFX-9s, a very nice
brake.

The question is if the frameset is exactly the same in liquid 25 than in
Liquid 55. I think is the same material and the same geometry, but I don't
know if weights the same or not (any structural change). Anybody knows
about it? If the answer is Yes, then there is any complaint, the front
fork is the only difference important to me if I change into XT
components. If not, well...

They are exactly the same model number and have exactly the same rear
shock.

On the other hand I tested some Kona. Geometry is agressive, and I'm
looking for a comfortable enough . Maybe is the age...

Last week, I tested a Specialized Epic in a rocky forest track, and worked
really fine compared to my hardtail. But, although geometry is also a
little agressive, I read in some magazine that the suspension system is
something between Hardtail and All-mountain, beeing in the last not good
as a typical all-mountain.

XC bikes will have more aggressive geometry, less travel and generally
stiffer suspension. But they will climb better.