Cant get to 7th gear, but its a shifter problem.

Old September 19th 03, 11:44 PM
xrogers

Default Cant get to 7th gear, but its a shifter problem.

Tj Poseno wrote:
Well, i picked up soem older shimano Alivio shifters and brake levers,
all one unit. Any way, they are rapidfire and as a shift down (1st to
7th) I can get into 7th gear, the shifters wont move that las bit, I can
hold the lever that sfifts, and tug on my derailer cable, and it will
click then go into 7th. It is not a derailer problem, I have
dissasembled and regreased the derailer and cant get it to go that last
little bit. Is there a sprign int here or somthing that is week. Any
suggestions?

You do not want to use all 7 cogs on one chain ring, The smallest (size
wise) cog should only be used with the largest chain ring and vise
versa for the small chain ring. Very often the effective gear you would
get with these 'bad' combinations are duplicated by some other 'good'
combination.

Assuming you have the same problem no matter which front chain ring you
are on, have you checked the stop adjustment screws? There are two
screws on the back of the derailleur usually near where the cable goes
in. One screw adjusts the maximum the derailleur moves out the other how
far in. When adjusted correctly the jockey pulley should be directly
beneath the cog for that gear (i.e. when the derailleur is on the
largest cog (next to the spokes) same for the smallest).

Hope This helps Shawn

Old September 20th 03, 03:01 PM
TJ Poseno

You do not want to use all 7 cogs on one chain ring, The smallest (size
wise) cog should only be used with the largest chain ring and vise
versa for the small chain ring. Very often the effective gear you would
get with these 'bad' combinations are duplicated by some other 'good'
combination.

Assuming you have the same problem no matter which front chain ring you
are on, have you checked the stop adjustment screws? There are two
screws on the back of the derailleur usually near where the cable goes
in. One screw adjusts the maximum the derailleur moves out the other how
far in. When adjusted correctly the jockey pulley should be directly
beneath the cog for that gear (i.e. when the derailleur is on the
largest cog (next to the spokes) same for the smallest).

Hope This helps Shawn

As I said, this is NOT a derailer problem, the shifter isnt letting
the cable come out of the shifter far enough, so if I tug on it while
holdiong the downshift lever, the shifter will click, and i can get
into 7th. This happens in every chainring.

Old September 20th 03, 03:41 PM
The Real Lee Casey

As I said, this is NOT a derailer problem, the shifter isnt letting
the cable come out of the shifter far enough, so if I tug on it while
holdiong the downshift lever, the shifter will click, and i can get
into 7th. This happens in every chainring.

Perhaps the cables are worn and the friction in the cable is preventing the
cable from moving all the way to the 7th gear position. Are the cables
visibly damaged? Or perhaps some lubrication of the cable insides would
help. HTH.

The Real Lee Casey

Old September 21st 03, 02:18 AM
TJ Poseno

"The Real Lee Casey" wrote in message ...
As I said, this is NOT a derailer problem, the shifter isnt letting
the cable come out of the shifter far enough, so if I tug on it while
holdiong the downshift lever, the shifter will click, and i can get
into 7th. This happens in every chainring.

Perhaps the cables are worn and the friction in the cable is preventing the
cable from moving all the way to the 7th gear position. Are the cables
visibly damaged? Or perhaps some lubrication of the cable insides would
help. HTH.

The Real Lee Casey

I was thinking the same thing today, im gonna check for bends and kink
and lube. When i put them on i was in a real hurry, so your probably
right.

Old September 27th 03, 11:08 PM
Traveller v.116

(TJ Poseno) wrote in
om:

(TJ Poseno) wrote in message
. com...
"The Real Lee Casey" wrote in message
As I said, this is NOT a derailer problem, the shifter isnt letting
the cable come out of the shifter far enough, so if I tug on it
while holdiong the downshift lever, the shifter will click, and i
can get into 7th. This happens in every chainring.

Perhaps the cables are worn and the friction in the cable is
preventing the cable from moving all the way to the 7th gear
position. Are the cables visibly damaged? Or perhaps some lubrication
of the cable insides would help. HTH.

The Real Lee Casey

I was thinking the same thing today, im gonna check for bends and kink
and lube. When i put them on i was in a real hurry, so your probably
right.

Well that didnt work, the problem is in the shifter some where, has
anyone else had a problem like this? I took it apart and it is hard to
turn it by hand and get it to 7th gear. I tried to find something
binding but cant seem to find any problems, i am thinging of
completely dissasembling the shifter, and reassembling, anyone done
this. Should i jsut hold off, in case i cant get it back together.

Rapidfires are a real PITA to take apart and fix; they're unbelivably
complicated inside with a thousand small parts, like a cheap wind-up
mechanical watch.
Give me a trusty, simple, easy to fix gripshifter, oldschool
topmount thumbshifter, or friction lever any day.