Adjusting Campy Centaur rear der

Old September 29th 03, 08:48 PM
MLee388407

Default Adjusting Campy Centaur rear der

Hi Group

I just assembled a campy centaur group onto my frameset. Im having some
problem with the indexing system in the rear. It seems as I get the rear der
to line up on the larger cogs the smaller ones are out of line. Getting the
smaller ones to line up throws off the larger ones. I was surfing on
www.roadbikereview and this problem had occured to another user.

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Groupo...na/PRD_28200_2
497crx.aspx

Someone also posted that a sram 89r chain would help with the problem.

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions to alleviate my situation? TIA

Mike
Old September 30th 03, 12:16 AM
MikeYankee

A bent derailleur hanger can cause the problem you report, as can a mismatch
between the derailleur and shifter.

A 9-sp chain may help but I'd check out other things first, especially the
derailleur hanger. It's easy enough.

Let us know what you discover.

Mike Yankee

(Address is munged to thwart spammers.
To reply, delete everything after "com".)
Old September 30th 03, 02:13 AM
MLee388407

Mike Yankee wrote

A bent derailleur hanger can cause the problem you report, as can a mismatch
between the derailleur and shifter.

====

I thought about that at first and looked at the hanger for wrinkled or chipped
paint. But its not off by much so it may not show.

I'll pick up a park der hanger gauge just to make sure. I have a bianchi that
I can use that on so it is worth it for me to buy one.

I posted my message to see if sloppy indexing was a problem for others using
that group.

Mike
Old September 30th 03, 05:49 AM
Terry Rudd

Hi Mike,

MLee388407 wrote:

Hi Group

I just assembled a campy centaur group onto my frameset. Im having some
problem with the indexing system in the rear. It seems as I get the rear der
to line up on the larger cogs the smaller ones are out of line. Getting the
smaller ones to line up throws off the larger ones. I was surfing on
www.roadbikereview and this problem had occured to another user.

If you still have the instructions, they are actually helpful. Don't
align the rear indexing starting with the smallest cog. This works
with Shimano but with Campy, you have to get the chain perfectly alinged
on about the fifth cog down. Once you do, it will shift cleanly up
and down.

Note, if you are using a brand new Campy chain, expect some drive train
noise until it breaks in, especially running the big chain ring and cogs
on the inside of the cassette (nearest spokes).

http://www.roadbikereview.com/Groupo...na/PRD_28200_2
497crx.aspx

Someone also posted that a sram 89r chain would help with the problem.

The PC-89R is the only road chain I use and I have had excellent results
with it and Campy 9s. But other chains work equally well such as IRD's
and Wipperman. Also note that the PC-59 and PC-69 work exactly like the
PC-89R but less expensive.

Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions to alleviate my situation? TIA

Well, I hope this helps a little.

Terry

Mike

Old September 30th 03, 08:10 AM
MLee388407

Terry and Mike

I got it figured out just a minute ago. I ran across this problem before when
my buddy gave me his kids bike because he couldnt get it to index correctly.
He had routed the rear der wire incorrectly, not following the groove engraved
on the pinch clamp. I released the der cable and noticed a kink and knew that
wasnt right and the wire should be straight. Right away I knew where I went
wrong and rerouted the cable under the groove. It now works perfectly. Thanks
again Terry and Mike.

Mike
Old September 30th 03, 01:42 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mlee- I just assembled a campy centaur group onto my frameset. Im having
some
problem with the indexing system in the rear. It seems as I get the rear der
to line up on the larger cogs the smaller ones are out of line. Getting the
smaller ones to line up throws off the larger ones. BRBR

Der cable UNDER the fixing bolt and plate, not thru it in any way or above it??

As long as the chain is a 9s one and the inner wire is afixed to the rear der
properly, it will shift fine.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 30th 03, 01:45 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

mlee- He had routed the rear der wire incorrectly, not following the groove
engraved
on the pinch clamp. BRBR

bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old September 30th 03, 03:27 PM
MLee388407

mlee- He had routed the rear der wire incorrectly, not following the groove
engraved
on the pinch clamp.

====

Thanks Peter, In fact IIRC Sheldons page had something about early Dura Ace
being able to be routed two different ways to achieve two different cable pull
lengths.

Mike

Campy Derailleur rear 10 and 9 speeds Jean Pasquet Techniques 13 August 28th 03 02:49 PM
Campy Rear Derailleur Robin Hubert General 1 August 12th 03 05:45 PM
Braking Technique asqui Racing 55 July 25th 03 04:16 PM
Replacing cones on 8 speed Campy Record Rear Hub Fredrick Techniques 1 July 15th 03 02:22 PM