Advisability of reaming a valve hole

Old September 30th 03, 09:19 PM
Chalo

Default Advisability of reaming a valve hole

"mark" wrote:

Keep in mind that a Presta valve will hold air pressure better than a
Schrader valve.

How do you reckon this? If there were a difference in this regard, it
seems very much like the advantage would go to the valve with positive
spring closing (that is, Schrader).

The seal is Buna-N against brass in either case.

Chalo Colina
Old October 1st 03, 12:06 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
On the other
hand, I'd prefer to have just one kind of tube in the stable if
possible, but it's not critically essential. Can anyone vouch for
having done this wthout trouble? Or should I just get the tube that
fits (and a spare) and be done with it?

I'd switch to all Presta tubes. The convenience factor is high and for two
bucks you can get a little brass thingy that'll allow a Schraeder-only pump to
fill the Presta tubes.

I've read a number of posts to the effect that Presta valve stems are happy in
Schraeder holes - and for the truly-careful, there are little rubber grommets
that can be put in the hole.

-----------------------
PeteCresswell
Old October 1st 03, 01:10 AM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 23:06:25 GMT, "(Pete Cresswell)" may have
said:

RE/
On the other
hand, I'd prefer to have just one kind of tube in the stable if
possible, but it's not critically essential. Can anyone vouch for
having done this wthout trouble? Or should I just get the tube that
fits (and a spare) and be done with it?

I'd switch to all Presta tubes. The convenience factor is high and for two
bucks you can get a little brass thingy that'll allow a Schraeder-only pump to
fill the Presta tubes.

I've read a number of posts to the effect that Presta valve stems are happy in
Schraeder holes - and for the truly-careful, there are little rubber grommets
that can be put in the hole.

I may go this way, slowly. I still have three spare tubes in stock
for the mtb tires, but the presta/schrader adapters are cheap by the
dozen, and there's this presta-only hand pump I've had sitting here
doing nothing for quite a while...

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.