Trek 5200 Paint

Old September 27th 03, 04:33 AM
-= ®atzofratzo =-

Default Trek 5200 Paint

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 01:51:06 GMT, "D.P.G."
wrote:

The clear coat is falling off the non painted (Bare Carbon) part or the top
tube (2002 Bike Trek 5200) 6 month's out of warranty. Any suggestions on how
to repair this. Also Trek told me I could send the bike back through an
authorized dealer and have the entire bike repainted. Any idea's on what
that would cost from Trek. I can figure the shipping cost and can
disassemble the bike myself no problem.

If Trek had a conscience about the paint falling off a two-year-old
bike, it wouldn't cost anything except maybe shipping.

__________________
-= ®atzofratzo =-

®emove The fleA to reply
Old September 27th 03, 05:30 PM
Mike Jacoubowsky

The clear coat is falling off the non painted (Bare Carbon) part or the
top
tube (2002 Bike Trek 5200) 6 month's out of warranty. Any suggestions on

how
to repair this. Also Trek told me I could send the bike back through an
authorized dealer and have the entire bike repainted. Any idea's on what
that would cost from Trek. I can figure the shipping cost and can
disassemble the bike myself no problem.

Did the chips have any help in removing themselves from the bike? In
general, we see very few problems with TREK paint jobs; when there are
problems, they've usually been "helped" (such as leaning the bike up against
something by the top tube and then having it start to move, causing it to
get scraped... guilty on that charge on my own bike!). I'm concerned when
you say the paint is "falling off." Something seems not-quite-right. If
such a bike came into our shop and I couldn't figure out what was happening,
I'd take a digital photo of it and send it up the food chain to someone at
TREK familiar with such things.

Your dealer should be able to get you the pricing information, as well as
further evaluate what's going on with your bike. Shipping cost isn't a big
deal on a frame, but having it repainted definitely is.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 27th 03, 10:09 PM
D.P.G.

I am insane about nothing happening to this bike I clean it including the
tires after every ride. There was no help at all from me causing this. The
area that the clear coat came off (Just flaked off) from is on the top tube
where the rear cable holder is riveted on. It is about 1 - 1/2 in. long from
just below the decals to about the center of the under side of the top tube.
Pretty hard to hit under the top tube. It is all around the cable holder.
Trek customer service e-mailed me back telling me I could pay for them to
repaint the bike. The bike was purchased on March 21, 2002
Any suggestions. I can't stand looking at it an will pay if I have to
repaint it.
. ..

Old September 27th 03, 10:42 PM
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:30:06 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Your dealer should be able to get you the pricing information, as well as
further evaluate what's going on with your bike. Shipping cost isn't a big
deal on a frame, but having it repainted definitely is.

Also, if it really is a _manufacturing_ defect, it just may get
painted for free. I work at a Trek dealer, and Trek is extremely
responsive to problems in my experience.

Maybe our sales rep is better than others, but I think it's Trek's
attention to service.

Barry
Old September 28th 03, 04:59 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I am insane about nothing happening to this bike I clean it including the
tires after every ride. There was no help at all from me causing this. The
area that the clear coat came off (Just flaked off) from is on the top

tube
where the rear cable holder is riveted on. It is about 1 - 1/2 in. long

from
just below the decals to about the center of the under side of the top

tube.
Pretty hard to hit under the top tube. It is all around the cable holder.
Trek customer service e-mailed me back telling me I could pay for them to
repaint the bike. The bike was purchased on March 21, 2002
Any suggestions. I can't stand looking at it an will pay if I have to
repaint it.

What did your dealer say when you brought it in? TREK customer service
isn't going to tell you anything worthwhile via email, since they can't see
it and don't know what the bike's gone through. Your dealer is your best
ally on this one. They know you, they know the bike's history, and they
have a strong relationship with TREK. All those things can work towards
getting things taken care of, if something isn't the way it should be.

Old September 29th 03, 10:09 PM
D.P.G.

I met with the Trek rep. today, after one look he offered to repaint the
bike at no charge. I can do it now or wait till winter (I live in the
Northeast). I guess they are correct when they say how good Trek customer
service really is. I could not have asked for anything more.

Old October 1st 03, 02:30 AM
-= ®atzofratzo =-

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:09:23 GMT, "D.P.G."
wrote:

I met with the Trek rep. today, after one look he offered to repaint the
bike at no charge. I can do it now or wait till winter (I live in the
Northeast). I guess they are correct when they say how good Trek customer
service really is. I could not have asked for anything more.

Good deal. They did the right thing.

-= ®atzofratzo =-

®emove The fleA to reply