Considerations for choice of chain lube

Old September 28th 03, 06:16 PM
Nick Burns

Default Considerations for choice of chain lube

I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to
another part of California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been
between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube is not doing well at all during that
time.

I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that
other stuff that is like WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea
of the product name right now).

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

TIA

Old September 28th 03, 07:06 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 10:16:49 -0700, "Nick Burns"
may have said:

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but
lots of opinions are available.

Here are two of them:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this
newsgroup. It's probably the most frequent subject, and almost
assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old September 29th 03, 01:16 AM
Mike S.

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but
lots of opinions are available.

Here are two of them:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this
newsgroup. It's probably the most frequent subject, and almost
assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.

Not true, the helmet debate is probably the most contentious.

Mike

Old September 29th 03, 01:24 AM
eflayer2

"Nick Burns" wrote in message om...
I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to
another part of California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been
between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube is not doing well at all during that
time.

I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that
other stuff that is like WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea
of the product name right now).

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

TIA

latest favorite by a mile: Dumonde
Old September 29th 03, 01:35 AM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 17:16:37 -0700, "Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet
may have said:

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

From all allegedly authoritative accounts, there is little wisdom, but
lots of opinions are available.

Here are two of them:

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html

If you want more, Google on the subject of chain lube in this
newsgroup. It's probably the most frequent subject, and almost
assuredly the most contentious, with possibly the least reason.

Not true, the helmet debate is probably the most contentious.

Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is
nastier, but the chain lube thing is a lot more frequent, and it gets
ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff, really? If
somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use
for any purpose whatsoever, say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose.
Too many of the participants take the subject *way* too personally.

Old September 29th 03, 03:03 AM
Super Slinky

Werehatrack said...

Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is
nastier, but the chain lube thing is a lot more frequent, and it gets
ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff, really? If
somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use
for any purpose whatsoever, say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose.
Too many of the participants take the subject *way* too personally.

Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile
solvent like naphtha? If it works the way it seems like it should, the
solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil behind. Seems like
this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.
Old September 29th 03, 04:09 AM
Traveller v.116

Super Slinky wrote in
t:

Werehatrack said...

Helmets vs lube; yeah, I guess the tenor of the helmet fights is
nastier, but the chain lube thing is a lot more frequent, and it gets
ugly with far less reason. Sheesh, what's the diff, really? If
somebody lubes their chain with stuff that somebody else wouldn't use
for any purpose whatsoever, say Alberto VO5, it's no skin off my nose.
Too many of the participants take the subject *way* too personally.

Has anyone tried mixing oil, whatever kind you choose, with a volatile
solvent like naphtha? If it works the way it seems like it should, the
solvent would evaporate and leave a thin film of oil behind. Seems like
this would be a good idea to attract less dirt.

hmm... Might work. But I suggest doing it outdoors, and not smoking while
applying that mix. Unless your favorite noise is a really loud KA-BOOM.
Old September 29th 03, 04:10 AM
Meccanico di Bici

"Nick Burns" wrote in message om...
I have not had good luck with my beloved White Lightning since moving to
another part of California from near the coast. Mot of my rides have been
between 85 and 105 degrees and my lube is not doing well at all during that
time.

I have used lots of wet lubes in the past and the best besides WL is that
other stuff that is like WD-40 but comes in a black can (and I have no idea
of the product name right now).

Any tips would be appreciated. Wet lubes take so much more work, which I
will do if I have to but I am looking for wisdom...

TIA

I like Pro Gold ProLink. It's kinda dry, doesn't muck-up the
drivetrain, and it's reasonably priced.
--Jim
Old September 29th 03, 04:34 AM
onefred

Nick, for the last several months I've been using No Sweat Chain Lube by Shimano. It
seems as good as oil but it doesn't attract dirt. I've been very happy. Frankly, I'm
surprised that no one has mentioned it before.

Dave

Old September 29th 03, 04:48 AM
Super Slinky

Traveller v.116 said...

hmm... Might work. But I suggest doing it outdoors, and not smoking while
applying that mix. Unless your favorite noise is a really loud KA-BOOM.

Of course, but it wouldn't be any more dangerous than the gas you use to
fill your lawn mower.