seatiung bottom race on carbon ffork

Old September 28th 03, 07:15 PM
Fred Marx

Default seatiung bottom race on carbon ffork

I have a brand new Cannondale CAAD7 frameset w/ the slice carbon fork
and campy hiddenset internal (not integrated, thank heaven) headset.
Question I have is how far down the steertube does the bottom race need
to sit? There's a thickening at the base of the tube where it meeets
the fork crown. It appears that this is to allow a 3-4 mm space between
the crown and the bottom of the head tube. That and the cap that fits
into the top of the steerer is really tight are the only things I am
unsure of. Oh I ask cause the nearest C'dale dealer is an hour away.
So I can't just zip over and look at one that's built.
TIA Chris

Old September 29th 03, 10:46 PM
GregR

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:15:52 -0600, Fred Marx
wrote:

I have a brand new Cannondale CAAD7 frameset w/ the slice carbon fork
and campy hiddenset internal (not integrated, thank heaven) headset.
Question I have is how far down the steertube does the bottom race need
to sit? There's a thickening at the base of the tube where it meeets
the fork crown. It appears that this is to allow a 3-4 mm space between
the crown and the bottom of the head tube. That and the cap that fits
into the top of the steerer is really tight are the only things I am
unsure of. Oh I ask cause the nearest C'dale dealer is an hour away.
So I can't just zip over and look at one that's built.
TIA Chris

If the base plate (aka crown race) has a square inside edge, and does
not fit flush with the crown, you may need to chamfer the base plate.

Take a small half ******* file and chamfer it.

Old September 30th 03, 12:20 AM
Phil Brown

If the base plate (aka crown race) has a square inside edge, and does
not fit flush with the crown, you may need to chamfer the base plate.

Take a small half ******* file and chamfer it.

There's a real precision operation. Why not call Cannondale and ask them?
phil Brown
Old September 30th 03, 01:31 AM
Fred Marx

Phil Brown wrote:

If the base plate (aka crown race) has a square inside edge, and does
not fit flush with the crown, you may need to chamfer the base plate.

Take a small half ******* file and chamfer it.

There's a real precision operation. Why not call Cannondale and ask them?
phil Brown

I did send them an email. thanks for the input. Sorry about the total
inability to type....

Old October 1st 03, 01:41 AM
Fred Marx

checked with C'dale and lo there's a special crownrace for the slice
fork. They didn't send it with the frameset so it's on it's way.

Didn't really want/intend to go grinding away a carbon steertube w/o
checking with the source first.