converting threaded to non threaded headset

Old October 1st 03, 03:03 AM
Dennis Vaughn

Default converting threaded to non threaded headset

I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non
threaded headset without buying a new fork?

Old October 1st 03, 03:05 AM
S. Anderson

"Dennis Vaughn" wrote in message
I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non
threaded headset without buying a new fork?

Nope. And really, there's no reason to unless you're trying to use some
parts you have handy. The difference between the two is really not that
great..there's no reason to switch if you have to do something like buy new
forks. (Actually, I've done it on a hack bike but I wouldn't recommend it to
anyone..it's a messy butcher job..)

Cheers,

Scott..

Old October 1st 03, 05:06 AM
Doug Cook

I've seen a Threadless Stem Adaptor in the Nashbar catalog for $15. Here's
a link to it on their website.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...&brand=&s ku=
9755&storetype=&estoreid=

If the link doesn't work, just go to their website and do a search for
Threadless Stem Adaptor.

Never used it, have opinion of it.

Old October 1st 03, 01:43 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Dennis- I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non
threaded headset without buying a new fork? BRBR

No, In additon to it probably being too short, a threadless stem should NOT be
clamped onto the threaded portion of a fork.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 1st 03, 03:23 PM
Pete Biggs

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
No, In additon to it probably being too short, a threadless stem
should NOT be clamped onto the threaded portion of a fork.

A related question: Are typical steel threadless steerer walls the same
thickness as steel threaded? Same internal diameter?

thanks
~PB

Old October 1st 03, 03:57 PM
Werehatrack

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 22:03:12 -0400, "Dennis Vaughn"
may have said:

I have an old bike with a threaded headset. Can I change it to a non
threaded headset without buying a new fork?

If the fork has a replaceable steerer tube, and the tube is still
available as a spare part, then yes, you can.

If not, then no. The threadless headset precludes the use of a
quill-type stem, and there's not enough of the threaded tube present
to clamp a threadless stem on to. Even if the threaded section was
long enough, it won't work because the threaded section still isn't
suitable for the threadless stem to get a grip on.

If what you really want is the option of using a threadless-style stem
on a threaded-headset fork, there are what amounts to stemless quills
available that you can use as a place to clamp a threadless stem.

--
My email address is antispammed;
pull WEEDS if replying via e-mail.
Old October 1st 03, 04:25 PM
Sheldon Brown

Pete Biggs asked:

Are typical steel threadless steerer walls the same
thickness as steel threaded? Same internal diameter?

Often, but don't count on it.

The first time I ever threaded a threadless fork for a customer I didn't
check this, and it turned out that the fork had a _thicker_ steerer, so
it wasn't possible to put a stem into it! (This was a steel fork.)

However, we also do a conversion of SR suspension forks to make them fit
Raleigh Twenty folding bikes. These forks have standard 1/16" wall
thickness, and work just fine once threaded.

Sheldon "Sometimes Yes, Sometimes No" Brown
| LEARN AND MAKE BIG MONY LIKE THE PROS |
| THIRD ANNUAL NIGERIAN EMAIL CONFERENCE: |
| http://j-walk.com/blog/docs/conference.htm |

Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 2nd 03, 01:47 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Pete- A related question: Are typical steel threadless steerer walls the
same
thickness as steel threaded? Same internal diameter?
BRBR

Generally yes, most threaded steel steerers start life as not threaded.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302