What's everyone doing for Bike Month?

Old April 27th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

Default What's everyone doing for Bike Month?

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:49:52 -0700, (Tom
Keats) wrote:

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 16:38:09 -0700,
(Tom
Keats) wrote, part:

In Vancouver we have BikeSummer as well as BikeMonth
(June, which is also when the cops are more inclined
to enforce our local MHL.)

Bike Summer is now a movable DIY feast.
http://www.bikesummer.org/2008/main.htm

Vancouver hosted it in June 2001 to correspond with our annual
BikeMonth. Others have been hosted in San Francisco and New York.

Of course me, smacking myself on forehead.
I helped distribute posters for it.
As I recall, the events included a well-attended
bike bazaar at Stanley Park.

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

I don't think Alistair is doing BikeFest this year. Last year it got
moved from its usual location and then rained on. The bikefest site
gone and it's not listed in Momentum's calendar.

The Car Free day will be spread around six neighbourhoods.
--
zk
Old April 28th 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Zoot Katz writes:

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

I don't think Alistair is doing BikeFest this year. Last year it got
moved from its usual location and then rained on. The bikefest site
gone and it's not listed in Momentum's calendar.

The Car Free day will be spread around six neighbourhoods.

What this town needs is a /real/ Car Free Day, like
Bogota. Or even better -- street party all along E 1st Ave,
c/w stilt-walkers, jugglers, marching brass bands, smoothies
(mescaline-laced optional,) costumes, displayed artwork,
pedal-powered floats, dominoes tournaments, ice cream cones,
oxygen and everything non-Car. No clowns, though. They'd
just freak-out the mescaline-laced smoothie folks. I kinda
like those balloon thingies that look like tube people, where
blasts of air inflates 'em and makes their tube arms wave
around. They're a nice prop for events.

cheers,
Tom

--
"Going Up the 'Pool"
-- Jethro Tull
Old April 30th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
The Virginia Bicycling Federation wants to know what everyone is doing for
Bike Month. What does your bike club, organization, company, or local
government have planned?

I plan to buy rounds (shots) for the house in my very favorite Irish bar
until we all pass out in the gutter, face down, and eventually get carted
off to the local crack house, where I will buy rounds for the house...

J.

Old April 30th 08, 07:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jay[_2_]

"Matt O'Toole" wrote in message
news
The Virginia...

Virginia? Where da h*** is dat? Plis gimmi a goddam klu. Somewhare on da
east coast? Help me out here.

Clueless J.

Old May 10th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main

So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.

I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 11th 08, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ralph Barone

In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main

So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.

I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.

cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the link. I'm signed up for Bike To Work Week now.
Old May 12th 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article invalid-5FE217.21583910052008@shawnews,
Ralph Barone writes:
In article ,
(Tom Keats) wrote:

In article ,
(Tom Keats) writes:

I believe the VACC does pancake breakfasts for
bike commuters during Bike Month.

Oops. Maybe I was thinking of Bike To Work Week:
http://www.vacc.bc.ca/index.php?task=btw.main

So many cycling events, it's easy to mix 'em up.

I'm sorely tempted to scare-up a beach bomber, 'n
do the Solstice Ride this upcoming June.

cheers,
Tom

Thanks for the link. I'm signed up for Bike To Work Week now.

Of all the cycling events, Bike To Work Week really strikes
a chord with me. It gently invites people to not only
recognize, but actually experience bicycling as a viable
means of true, meaningful and practical transportation.

I just might participate, myself, although my route to work
is so far off the well-beaten path (Vancouver - East Richmond
via the Knight St Bridge) I most likely wouldn't get to
enjoy the supportive way-stations of the VACC, which are
typically set up along bike routes like the Adanac. That's
okay, I usually lone wolf it anyways. Any reluctance on my
part to participate is based on the physically demanding
nature of my work at a logistics/distribution warehouse.
After a tough shift of unloading marine containers full of
imported goods, clawing one's way up the South Hill ain't
exactly a piece o' cake.

I shall nevertheless certainly contribute. Bike To Work Week
spreads a good message that needs to be spread. It doesn't
demand that everybody burns their car to the ground. It just
suggests that for some people blessed with conducive situations
they haven't yet realized, there's a better way to get around.
Then they can decide for themselves to burn their cars to
the ground.

Beautie, eh?

Watch out for Mandatory Helmet Law-enforcing cops.
This is when they crawl out of the woodwork.
Bad boyz, bad boyz, what'ch'a gonna do, what'ch'a
gonna do when they come for you ... ;-)

No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 12th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dane Buson

Tom Keats wrote:
"Jay" writes:

Next month, I plan to wake up. God willing.

For me, ~every~ month is Bike Month.

Well, January, maybe not so much.

I recently was introduced to a lass who started bike commuting here in
January and has continued up to the present date. Very impressive I
thought personally. It's hard to start in the middle of the worst
season. Far easier to start when the weather is nice and gradually
accumulate wet weather gear.

--
Dane Buson -
It seems a little silly now, but this country was founded as a protest
Old May 13th 08, 06:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Zoot Katz

On Mon, 12 May 2008 00:53:30 -0700, (Tom
Keats) wrote, in part:

No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

And at 33rd.
--
zk
Old May 15th 08, 04:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

Tom Keats wrote:

No-helmet fines should go toward putting a cyclists'
push-button traffic light @ Prince Edward St & 41st Ave.

Or a repeal fund.