The effects of the bike on the human being

Old November 6th 04, 08:12 PM
Y bar

Default The effects of the bike on the human being

As part of my study, I need to submit a RESEARCH PAPER on the topic
"The effects of the bike on the human being".
Here are few ideas that I came with:
* Improve the physical fitness of the biker.
* Improve the healthy of the biker and prevent illness
* Improve the domesticity (bike with kids / spouse)
* Social life (meet other people with the same hobby)
* Mental health
Etc...

The bike also has an effect the universe:
* Less traffic --- less air pollution
* Less need to invest on highways / roads
* Less energy
etc...

Please let me know if you have other inputs
Old November 7th 04, 12:11 AM
Frank Krygowski

Y bar wrote:

As part of my study, I need to submit a RESEARCH PAPER on the topic
"The effects of the bike on the human being".
Here are few ideas that I came with:
* Improve the physical fitness of the biker.
* Improve the healthy of the biker and prevent illness
* Improve the domesticity (bike with kids / spouse)
* Social life (meet other people with the same hobby)
* Mental health
Etc...

The bike also has an effect the universe:
* Less traffic --- less air pollution
* Less need to invest on highways / roads
* Less energy
etc...

Please let me know if you have other inputs

You might like
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/NewsAnd...philosophy.htm

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old November 8th 04, 08:51 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Little Meow writes:

Now, Red Cloud, you need to tie this in with your previous theories
about Lance, bully bikers, NASCAR, Japanese atrocities, Indian genocide,
and White Penis Power.

I wonder if there's a bicycle that's the paradigm of
White Penis Power. I wouldn't think so; bikes are so
androgynously and inoffensively appropriate for everyone.
G-rated, even. Bully bikers?! Maybe in the movies
("warrriiiorrrs -- come out and play-yay".) I haven't
seen any cyclists going around stealing schoolkids'
lunch money or giving people noogies.

One of my most endearable old bikes is a Japanese atrocity.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 8th 04, 08:54 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Little Meow writes:

Now, Red Cloud, you need to tie this in with your previous theories
about Lance, bully bikers, NASCAR, Japanese atrocities, Indian genocide,
and White Penis Power.

One of my favourite old bikes is a Japanese atrocity.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 10th 04, 02:47 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Little Meow writes:
Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
Little Meow writes:

Now, Red Cloud, you need to tie this in with your previous theories
about Lance, bully bikers, NASCAR, Japanese atrocities, Indian genocide,
and White Penis Power.

I wonder if there's a bicycle that's the paradigm of
White Penis Power.

Unicycles.
I don't recall seeing anyone other than white guys

And circus bears. And I recall reading an article in
a local alt-transportation zine about a woman unicyclist.

ride
these, and the only way to ride is erect.

Oh, we were discussing BI-cycles.
http://mountainbikemilitia.com/gungolf.html
Scroll down to "Tips for Gun Transport by Bike".

There used to be some survivalist-type goofball posting here
under the identity: , who had fantasies of
leading a bicycling militia and taking America back by force,
street by street. Scary. The very idea of weaponizing a
bicycle is an unthinkable perversion -- it's like using
television for mind control of the masses.

I wouldn't think so; bikes are so
androgynously and inoffensively appropriate for everyone.
G-rated, even.

I would rate this one PG:
http://lowriderbike.com/bike_features/cremator/
Notice there are no pics of anyone actually riding it.

I kinda like it, as an artsie-fartsie piece. If I had
kids I'd let 'em build something like it. I wouldn't
allow oxy-acetylene in the basement shop, though. Or
DIY metal plating.

Bully bikers?! Maybe in the movies
("warrriiiorrrs -- come out and play-yay".) I haven't
seen any cyclists going around stealing schoolkids'
lunch money or giving people noogies.

From what I can gather, the Red Cloud Taxonomy of Cycling:
Bully biker: cyclist (usually a roadie) who passes Red Cloud
Tin can biker: cyclist who gets to the dumpster before Red Cloud
Commuter biker: non-American cyclist
Fat-Ass SUV: American non-cyclist
Chineseseses: variation of Chineseses
White penis power: it makes you go faster, longer, harder

Hmmm, to widely varying degrees I guess I qualify for all of
those, except Fat-Ass SUV, and WPP[*]. Oh well. If I ever get
to the dumpster just ahead of Red Cloud, I'd gladly split the
take with him. Maybe that would help him get a more up-beat &
positive view of humanity.

One of my most endearable old bikes is a Japanese atrocity.

Is it as heavy as an old Indian Genocide?

My dad rode an Indian m/c, but he gave it up just before
my time. It was from him I learned the term: 'murdercycle'.
I dunno how heavy it was.

The heaviest and most atrocious component on my Sekine mixte
is probably the one-piece, cast aluminum Shimano Selecta
("One Key Release") chainrings+right crank, along with the
Front Freewheel System bottom bracket. You can shift the
rear derailer at a standstill by backpedaling. I bet that
would make for an interesting track stand.

cheers,
Tom
[*] I can only take uttering, let alone reading
the word 'penis' so many times in one week.

Old November 11th 04, 09:01 PM
David Reuteler

In rec.bicycles.misc Red Cloud wrote:
I'm curious why is American bikers alway has to go fast.

i'm a late riser (my motto is not too bright & not too early) and i'm
always running late. even tho my workday starts at 10am i'm late. so i'm
obligated to go as fast as i can.

This looks alots like a history of brutality and bullying on other
races...

could be. my boss is half-chinese, tho. and he's pretty mellow overall.
10am seems quite reasonable to me. but come 9am i'd just rather be in bed.
--
david reuteler

Old November 12th 04, 12:29 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
(Red Cloud) writes:

YOu have the White P****

[my editing -- maybe we can give the P word a rest for awhile, okay?]
power bikers all around here.
SEe those guys
in bike suit always always going faster than a regular biker. I
remember a regular biker would not racing so are most biker in
Europe. Only the American biker rides like a wheel as if their bike is
a NASCAR.

So, you think people who ride fast do so as an arrogant display
of superiority? Maybe some do. But I think it's mostly an
expression of simple exuberance. Some people ski fast, others
skateboard fast, others kayak fast. If it brings joy to people,
why not be happy for them? And I don't think it involves the same
mindset as car racing at all, but I don't know for sure, having
never driven a car.

And I guess some people are just trying to outrun their calories,
so they don't end up with fat asses.

I'm curious why is American bikers alway has to go fast.

Have you ever watched meadowlarks or swallows in flight and
wished you could do that, or wondered what it's like? Maybe
cycling is the closest thing to it on the ground. Even Ol'
Pig Iron -- my slowpoke, heavy utility bike -- feels good to
ride. And I get passed a lot on that thing.

This looks alots like a history of brutality and bullying on other
races...

I think that's a big stretch, and you're reading stuff that
isn't there into it. You see, Tonto -- white Americans just
don't have exclusive dibs on cycling speed. So don't worry
about it. Cheer up. Please. Maybe put a little love in
your heart. Ride your bike at whatever speed you like (or
can) and feel free as a meadowlark.

cheers,
Tom

Old November 12th 04, 03:11 AM
Bill Baka

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:29:32 -0800, Tom Keats wrote:

In article ,
(Red Cloud) writes:

[...]

I ride just to NOT be watching television or some other brain/body
rotting non/exercise. I find interesting people to talk to, and
odd things on the side of the road and I get to explore. None of
this is done at full race speed.
Enjoy the ride, you don't have to go 30 MPH, just ride.
Race yourself once in a while to try to get your heart rate peaked,
and enjoy the thadump, thadump in your chest. That means you ARE
alive and enoying it.
Bill (any exercise is better than none) Baka

--
Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client:
http://www.opera.com/m2/

Cycling and vegetarianism Preston Crawford General 434 September 25th 04 09:38 PM
Gels vs Gatorade Ken Techniques 145 August 3rd 04 06:56 PM
Trips for Kids 13th Annual Bike Swap & Sale Marilyn Price Techniques 0 June 1st 04 04:54 AM
FAQ? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 October 1st 03 01:02 PM