Unless my fingers fell off - I was going to ride today!

Old May 13th 05, 08:27 PM
Ken

Default Unless my fingers fell off - I was going to ride today!

I haven't had a *good* ride in two or three days while dealing with the hand
pain thing. So today I said to myself "Don't be a wimp and just ride", so I
did! It was a good ride, the sun was shining bright temp was a bit on the
cool side only 85 or so, humidity not too high probably about 80%, with just
a few high thin clouds. Perfect afternoon for a couple of laps.

So I put on my sunglasses, slid my hands into my cycling gloves, put the
cyclo-computer in its' mount and set off on the first of my two laps. First
couple of miles always goes slow, my legs don't like the circular motion at
first, then they loosen up and I can work them harder. My route changes
directions often, so when I turned one corner the wind, which I thought was
a light refreshing breeze turned into a headwind. Oh well pedal through it!
Just a couple of miles and it changed into a cross wind. Looking down at the
trip timer, it was 20 minutes, just about right. Pedaling though a nice
little neighborhood, I saw the kids bikes and electric scooters locked to a
stop sign. Now comes the good part. The wind turned into a tail wind. Nice!
I started cruising, watching the computer, I notice that I had set a new top
speed, 17.9 mph!! I thought WOW! Pedaling a little harder I hit 18.3 mph. Of
course my cadence could have been the sequel for "Fast and Furious". Then
unfortunately my direction changed and the tail wind turned into a cross
wind, ending the 13 point something I had been cruising at. Then the
direction changed again and I found myself heading straight into the wind.
Speed nose-dived to 10.1 mph! ARGH! Just a couple of miles and it will
change back to a tail wind. And then I came upon a couple of vultures
feeding on a road kill squirrel. Kind of gross. But you have to respect a
bird that stands 3 feet tall and eats road kill. I steered around them so
they could finish the meal. My route changed again back to a tail wind. Okay
time to put the hammer down again! Watching the numbers on the computer go
up and up, 14 then 15.3 then 15.9, 16.3, 16.6, 17.0, 17.9, 18.5 new top
speed set!! Kept pushing but my straight away is beginning to disappear, one
last push 18.9 mph!! Yeah Baby! Then the direction changed again heading
home to re-hydrate.

Back home I peeled the gloves off, and poured myself a nice glass of ice
water, wow that feels good! shaking my hands to let the blood flow back into
my fingers or wake the nerves up or what ever the problem is, I don't know,
but right now I don't care much. I relax for a few more minutes, then put
the gloves back on, slide the shades back on, and head out for lap number
two. Lap two is pretty much a repeat of lap one. On the first straight away
with the tail wind, I set a new top speed, 19.3 mph nice, then I got to
thinking I need a really good road bike! I am sure I could ride better and
my performance would improve on something more *modern* , anyway, cross
wind, then head wind, then cross wind again, then tail wind and straight
away. I said to myself this is it, hammer time - watching the numbers climb
again up to 19, now for the real push - 19.2, 19.5, 19.6, 19.8, 20.0 then
20.2 mph then had to break off the road was going to end, I need to stop for
the stop sign and make that 90 degree corner! Twenty point two. WOW!!!
Heading home for a re-hydrate break. Once home and rehydrating, I decided
two laps was enough for today. New top speed, average speed for the 2 laps
only 11.4 mph, total distance 23.869 miles, time 2 hours 5 minutes and 32
seconds. Not too bad for a newbie. Or I don't think it is too bad, I know I
am no L.A. but who besides L.A. is?? I know I am not going to riding in the
TdF anytime in this lifetime.

Ken

--
Remove "-dispose-trash" for email address
My personal webstie: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old May 13th 05, 09:21 PM
Roger Zoul

Nice story...I hope you find a solution to the problems with your
hands...It's not fun to have that kind of pain while riding....get a new
bike if you have to (use this to justify doing so)...it will be well worth
it to you....

:

Old May 13th 05, 11:15 PM
dccyclist

Good going. I have knee and back pain, but I ride anyway. I rarely
regret it.

Old May 13th 05, 11:43 PM
bbaka

Ken wrote:
[...]

Just one question.
How in the hell did you type so much with 'hand pain'?
Bill Baka
Old May 13th 05, 11:58 PM
Roger Zoul

bbaka wrote:
: Ken wrote:
: I haven't had a *good* ride in two or three days while dealing
: with the hand pain thing. So today I said to myself "Don't be a
[snip]

: Just one question.
: How in the hell did you type so much with 'hand pain'?
: Bill Baka

On-bike hand pain....

Old May 14th 05, 11:41 AM
Ken

"bbaka" wrote in message
Ken wrote:
[...]

Most of the pain disappears within 15 or 20 minutes of the riding. Sometimes
the numb thumb can linger a bit longer but that I can live with.

Ken

Old May 14th 05, 07:14 PM
Michael

Good story. Your various speeds under various conditions sound similar to the
ones I experience. Maybe a little lower, but close. Headwind kills me, though
it's mostly psychological; working like hell to attain/maintain less-than-normal
speed - wind blasting in my ears the whole time, is un-fun. (I shrink from loud
noise; holdover from Vietnam, yadda-yadda)

Sounds like 15-16 MPH is your comfortable crusing speed. It was mine too, about
18 months ago. Late last fall I noticed - suddenly - that it was up to 18+.
Last weekend, on a different bike, I found that I could maintain 21+ (for only
about 1 mile though) where I usually hover at 17+ for the entire length of the
2-mile trail. I'm not good over distance, partly because of age+weight and
partly because I stick to 2-mile bike trail. (I'm too chicken to ride on a
highway; with my luck I'd wind up under an SUV driven by a cell phone toting
soccer mom)

I remember a great sig from a year or two ago, in this NG: "It doesn't get any
easier, you just go faster." I didn't know that saying, haven't seen it since,
but I like it a lot. It describes my experience to a tee. Would love to have
it on a bumper sticker ... er ... for my bike, of course. (He half-smiles,
slinking away ...)

Michael "my bike DOES SO have a bumper" C.
Old May 14th 05, 09:16 PM
bbaka

Roger Zoul wrote:
bbaka wrote:
: Ken wrote:
: I haven't had a *good* ride in two or three days while dealing
: with the hand pain thing. So today I said to myself "Don't be a
[snip]

: Just one question.
: How in the hell did you type so much with 'hand pain'?
: Bill Baka

On-bike hand pain....

It goes away after the ride? I was stiff for a few days after some
really ambitious downhill trail riding, but there I hammered my wrists
just to stay upright. You must have a road thing and I caused my own by
doing what I did on a non suspended MTB.
Well, I hope for your sake it gets better so you can keep on riding.
Bill Baka
Old May 14th 05, 09:19 PM
bbaka

Ken wrote:

Most of the pain disappears within 15 or 20 minutes of the riding. Sometimes
the numb thumb can linger a bit longer but that I can live with.

Ken

At the risk of getting all the wrong replies, I have to get off the bike
after about 30 miles on the seat because certain male parts get numb.
Different seats don't seam to make a difference.
I know, bad question.
Bill Baka
Old May 14th 05, 09:24 PM
bbaka

Michael wrote:
Good story. Your various speeds under various conditions sound similar to the
ones I experience. Maybe a little lower, but close. Headwind kills me, though
it's mostly psychological; working like hell to attain/maintain less-than-normal
speed - wind blasting in my ears the whole time, is un-fun. (I shrink from loud
noise; holdover from Vietnam, yadda-yadda)

Sounds like 15-16 MPH is your comfortable crusing speed. It was mine too, about
18 months ago. Late last fall I noticed - suddenly - that it was up to 18+.
Last weekend, on a different bike, I found that I could maintain 21+ (for only
about 1 mile though) where I usually hover at 17+ for the entire length of the
2-mile trail.

If your cruising speed is up to 18+ at a reasonable heart rate couldn't
you do like 20 over the 2 miles?

I'm not good over distance, partly because of age+weight and
partly because I stick to 2-mile bike trail. (I'm too chicken to ride on a
highway; with my luck I'd wind up under an SUV driven by a cell phone toting
soccer mom)

I have had it almost happen while driving in a 6 foot wide bike lane, on
the proper side of the road, making eye contact, and she still pulled
out in front of me, without a cell phone or kids in the car. I nearly
t-boned the side of her new SUV. Some people just should not drive
anything with a motor in it.