keep the old feet warm need some help.

Old November 1st 03, 04:52 AM
Steve Knight

Default keep the old feet warm need some help.

well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40 they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear thick
socks. any ideas? hopefully something that does not cost an arm or a leg?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old November 1st 03, 05:03 AM
Golightly F.

"Steve Knight"
well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40

they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear

thick
socks. any ideas? hopefully something that does not cost an arm or a leg?

I use plastic baggies... they take up no space at all and make it easier to
get your shoes on. Plus, they do a good job of keeping the cold air off
your toes.

hth

Old November 1st 03, 05:46 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
Steve Knight writes:
well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40 they
are not going to be enough.

I think they will, unless you mean -40F.

Don't underestimate neoprene. It'll keep the wind off
your feet, and it has a lot of dead air built-in for
insulation.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old November 1st 03, 11:19 AM
Jim Artherholt

Neoprene booties work fine for me down into the mid 20s F. When my feet do
get cold, it is because air gets in around the cleat opening on the sole.
Also, it is best to plug any ventilation holes, such as those in Carnac
Legends, in the soles of your shoes

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jim Artherholt

Old November 1st 03, 11:59 AM
Doug Huffman

I live and ride in coastal South Carolina so freezing weather is
exceptional. I carefully rode through last winter whild working on just
this kind of question; how to use my riding clothes best to keep warm.

I ride in $imano SPD sandals, normally bare footed. Wool/micro-fiber
boot-socks are adequate down through the 40Fs. Below that I used neoprene
diving-booties as 'socks' inside my sandals. They were comfortable down
into the mid-20Fs - the coldest weather that we normally get.

Try neoprene socks.

Re your planes. I have a Stanley Multi-plane that I need to finish
restoring.

Old November 1st 03, 02:15 PM
Eric

I've had good luck with ski socks and an older pair of shoes that have
streched out over the years. Keeps the good ones clean as a bonus.

The nice thing about the ski socks is that they are thicker in the
front, knee high and padded on the bottom. this helps keep the wind
off my shins and the cold transfering from the cleat off my feet.

Don't forget a hat and gloves, either.

Eric

Old November 1st 03, 04:10 PM
mark

"Steve Knight" wrote
well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40

they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear

thick
socks. any ideas? hopefully something that does not cost an arm or a leg?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

I've used neoprene shoe covers (and thin liner socks inside my shoes) down
to 0 deg F with good results. The important thing is to keep the rest of
your body, especially the head and neck, warm and protected from the wind.
--
mark

Old November 1st 03, 04:10 PM
R.White

Steve Knight wrote in message . ..
well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40 they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear thick
socks. any ideas? hopefully something that does not cost an arm or a leg?

I ride every winter with platform pedals and insulated duck boots.
They are not as "efficient" as clipless and I'm not getting "maximum
power", but I never have to cut a ride short due to cold feet.
Old November 1st 03, 04:22 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 01 Nov 2003 04:52:53 +0000, Steve Knight wrote:

well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40
they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear
thick socks. any ideas?

Well, thicker socks can certainly help. I like the Polar Tek socks, but
they are hard to find for some reason. Wool would also be good. Another
trick is to put a plastic bag over your toes. Does wonders.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 1st 03, 05:01 PM
Doug Purdy

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
well warm and dry. I have a pair of neoprene overs but I think below 40

they
are not going to be enough. my road shoes fit snugly so i can't wear

thick
socks. any ideas? hopefully something that does not cost an arm or a leg?

There are many different types of neoprene booties, shoe covers, to covers,
etc. Almost all of them are fine for me to freezing. Check out more of them
and you should find something warmer. As it gets down farther below freezing
I layer the neoprene covers.

I experimented with many types of sock but none of them seem to make
anywhere near as much warmth difference as any of the neoprene covers. But a
good heavy pair of wool hiking sock are really comfortable if your winter
shoes are a bit large.

For far below freezing hiking or even snowmobile boots may be in order.

Doug
Toronto