Help remembering, please - "width"

Old June 20th 04, 02:33 PM
Denver C. Fox

Default Help remembering, please - "width"

Sometime back there was discussion regarding the perception of automobile
drivers of objects in the roadway, with some research indicating that motorists
subconsciouly are looking for width as an identifier, meaning that bicycles,
which are narrow and tall are at a disadvantage, no matter how many rear
flashers or bright clothes worn.

Does anyone remember this? I have searched the archives through the Google
groups search engine, to no avail. Don't even know the proper search terms -
have tried "width," "perception," etc., with no luck. I would like to read the
research.

Thanks

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns
(Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox
(Family Web Page)

Old June 20th 04, 03:44 PM
Doug

I remember something along the lines of research that was published that
because drivers are not looking for "small" objects like bikes, the bike
becomes invisible. As I recall it involved a study of basketball players and
a gorilla. Is this the one you are referring to?

Doug

"Denver C. Fox" wrote in message
[...]

---

Old June 20th 04, 03:52 PM
Doug

Found it!

Article:
http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?art...0&pageNumber=1

http://tinyurl.com/2x8vu

Old June 20th 04, 05:35 PM
Jeremy Parker

"Denver C. Fox" wrote in message
Sometime back there was discussion regarding the perception of

automobile
drivers of objects in the roadway,

Well, I don't have research of my own, but my theory is that if you
look like an object necessary to take account of as part of the
driving task, then you are taken account of. It's best, therefore,
to look like an-object-possibly-in-the-driver's-way.

In the cited article, basketball passes were relevant, gorillas were
irrelevant. Thus the watchers noticed basketballs, not gorillas,
even though gorillas are a lot wider than a basketball. If anything,
the article proves that width does not matter at all.

Folk wisdom among cyclists seems to agree with me. The usual rules
are that drivers will give you an amount of room equal to the room
that you give the curb, or else they say ride in the left (in the
USA)
tire track of the general traffic.

Worst, I think, is to get yourself defined as an object that can be
ignored. That's why I hate bike lanes.

Jeremy Parker

Old June 20th 04, 10:11 PM
Denver C. Fox