Bells or noise making

Old August 5th 03, 01:26 AM
RS

Default Bells or noise making

Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
"honk" from other sorts IMHO.

RS

"Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

Old August 5th 03, 04:34 AM
Ben Long

Just a good old dinger is my preference although I like to call out 'bike'
when I approach pedestrians from behind. It seems to get their attention
better.

Cheers,

Ben

Old August 6th 03, 04:49 AM
Deep Floyd Mars

How about "HEY ****!"?

Works for me.

I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
old ladies too.

Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?
---
DFM

Old August 6th 03, 09:50 AM
Andrew Swan

RS wrote:
Which sort of bell would most cyclists prefer?
Personally I like the old ring-a-tring bells. They sound like a bike, and one
stroke is needed for 2-3 seconds of noise, which is better than one "ting" or
"honk" from other sorts IMHO.

RS

"Time spent cycling is not added to one's life"

If you ride on bike paths, I find a bell is best. As I read somewhere
once, people are more likely to react favourably (in a "Morning, Vicar"
kind of a way) to a bell than to someone yelling at them, no matter how
unaggro they are trying to sound.

But yes, in traffic you may need to step up a level. I have actually
managed to raise some door-opening drivers' awareness by nicely asking
them if they looked first - if on the other hand you just yell at them,
they are likely to put the experience down to "cyclists being w*nkers"
and not change their behaviour. One can at least try, and hope :-)

&roo
Fixing the world, one door-opener at a time...

Old August 6th 03, 10:12 AM
Jorgen

"Deep Floyd Mars" wrote in message

How about "HEY ****!"?

Works for me.

I howl "LOOK OUT!!!!". It makes it really interesting because the
pedestrians instantly leap in a random direction maximising the chances of
bowling one over. Also good for scaring the absolute **** out of packs of
old ladies too.

Well, it's good to have a hobby, isn't it?

"Look out" would work a bit better as a predecessor to the above, yes. You
appear a little less hostile in general

I ususally warm up with the bell. BBut Sometimes people just won't hear it
and swarm around in their own little world - e.g., opening car doors without
looking. That's when the shout is called for.

strange noise Paul Nevai Techniques 4 June 10th 04 02:31 PM
Ticking noise from wheels Keith Boone Techniques 7 September 16th 03 02:02 AM
Creaking noise from shoe/pedal B. Schneider Techniques 5 September 13th 03 03:54 AM