Want to know more about the bicycles

Old August 21st 03, 01:03 PM
Deep Flayed Mares

Default Want to know more about the bicycles

Andrew Swan wrote in message
Deeply Flawed Mores wrote:
Like Hippy said, puncture repair kits and pumps are far from essential.

can't recall the last time I saw someone patching a tire on the side of

the
road. Why bother when you can get a tube for only $4?
---
DFM

You must mean US$4 judging by the way you spelled "tyre", which is a bit
more expensive in the nicely-coloured money we use here.

**** off! One small spelling mistake, and you think I'm a yank?

Actually I will profess to not having bought a tube for a while (coz I have
not had a puncture for years), so I guess they cost more now. Either way,
good tires and good aim should mean punctures are rare.
---
DFM

Old August 21st 03, 03:20 PM
Gary K

Shane Stanley wrote:

in article , hippy wrote:

if you are riding in the city, you generally don't need a pump or a puncture
kit.

When I bought my first bike in many years, I asked the salesman about repair
kits. He recommended what he carried: a mobile phone and taxi fare.

I was talking to another cyclist while out on the road one day, when I
noticed he had no pump nor spare tube. So I asked him what he does when
he punctures. From his employer he gets free Cabcharge vouchers, so
thats what he'd use...

Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
training ride.

Old August 22nd 03, 12:05 AM
Deep Flayed Mares

Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
training ride.

Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually
take to repair a puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in 30
mins you would be doing well. Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money
well spent for me. My time is worth more than $14 / hour.

*shrug*
---
DFM

Old August 22nd 03, 12:50 AM
Tim Jones

"Deep Flayed Mares" wrote in
message ...

Personally, I'd like to repair the flat so's i can get back into the
training ride.

Given that you have to wait for the glue to dry, how long does it actually
take to repair a puncture? I would think that if you could fix a hole in

30
mins you would be doing well. Personally, $7 for a new tube would be money
well spent for me. My time is worth more than $14 / hour.

*shrug*
---
DFM

If you carry a spare and a repair kit you have more options.

You can replace the tyre, then at work/home/destination repair the puncture
in under 5 minutes, then you have a spare for the next ride.

Also, if you get a second flat away from public transport/access to taxis
etc......

Tim

Old August 22nd 03, 12:58 AM
Theo Bekkers

"hippy" wrote

Service stations AREN'T omnipresent?!? They always seem that way to
me! It can't be much more than a 2k walk between any servo on _my_
commute.

On my way to work (by motorcycle, it's 55 kms) I pass two servos, and
I work 3 kms from the centre of Perth. That'd be a long walk with a
flat tyre.

Theo

Old August 22nd 03, 01:51 AM
Gary K

replace spare tube: 5 min
repair puncture and replace: 7 or 8 min

I wait till the glue has lost its shininess, takes about 60 seconds,
with some blowing. No time at all. The fix is permanent.

Patches at 20c each versus dropping $8 every 3 or 4 weeks (racing
tyres). If I can't find the hole right away, I'd use the spare and fix
it at home.