Successful Back Surgery Anyone?

Old July 10th 05, 11:43 PM
vinceL5disc

Default Successful Back Surgery Anyone?

Hi, I'm posting here to ask if anyone who rides has had what they
consider a successful back surgery. I had disc surgery a while ago and
am putting together a website and pamphlet about people who have had
successful procedures.

Before I had my surgery, I was doing research and all I found were
horror stories. Which was a shame because the surgery has changed my
life for the better - It would have saved me a lot of anxiety if I had
heard some good stories.

If you want to post here in rec.bicycles.racing thats great, or contact
me at the address below if you are ok with me using your anecdotes -
thanks - vincel5disc email: masterofnone (at symbol here)
manifoldrecords (dot here) com

Old July 11th 05, 12:37 AM
Callistus Valerius

I'm happy you feel better. If I may ask, have you ever ridden a bicycle
before?

Old July 11th 05, 12:39 AM
David Ferguson

On 10 Jul 2005 15:43:33 -0700, "vinceL5disc"
wrote:

Hi, I'm posting here to ask if anyone who rides has had what they
consider a successful back surgery. I had disc surgery a while ago and
am putting together a website and pamphlet about people who have had
successful procedures.

Before I had my surgery, I was doing research and all I found were
horror stories. Which was a shame because the surgery has changed my
life for the better - It would have saved me a lot of anxiety if I had
heard some good stories.

If you want to post here in rec.bicycles.racing thats great, or contact
me at the address below if you are ok with me using your anecdotes -
thanks - vincel5disc email: masterofnone (at symbol here)
manifoldrecords (dot here) com

I wish you the very best and I hope you have continued success.

As it stands, about 1/3 of patients do better, 1/3 do worse and 1/3
stay the same.

The re-operative rate for a discectomy at 5 years is 15%. For a fusion
the re-operative rate is 18%. And that's just the ones they can talk
into doing it.
Spine 1998 Apr 1;23(7):814-820

I'm not sure what options you tried before surgery but I hope in your
website and pamphlet you put things like:

Av-Med Study-
.... study included 80 patients, each of whom was previously treated by
a medical doctor and subsequently referred to the
Silverman Chiropractic Center. Of these 80 patients, 21 % had been
diagnosed with disc problems, 5% received emergency
room treatment and 12% had been diagnosed as requiring surgery.

Following chiropractic treatment, no surgery was required. 86%
needed no further treatment at all. And the projected
savings on the patient study group was approximately $250,000.
The Av-Med Study, 1993.

"Nobody in America should be allowed to have back surgery unless they
have seen a Chiropractor first"
Robert Mendelsohn, M.D.
Former Chairman of the Medical Licensing Committee for the state of
Illinois, Associate Professor of Preventive medicine and Community
Health in the School of Medicine of the University of Illinois and the
recipient of numerous awards for excellence in medicine and medical
instruction.

Old July 11th 05, 03:07 AM
Tim Mullin

"vinceL5disc" wrote in
ups.com:

Hi, I'm posting here to ask if anyone who rides has had what they
consider a successful back surgery. I had disc surgery a while ago and
am putting together a website and pamphlet about people who have had
successful procedures.

Not surgery, but back pain in general. My rheumatologist says exercise in
general, and specifically cycling, helps with pain relief for her patients.

Might be associated with this:

www.vard.org/jour/05/42/2/Hoffman.html
Old July 11th 05, 04:42 AM
Tim Lines

wrote:

[...]

You wouldn't happen to be a chiropractor, would you? Not that there's
anything wrong with that.
Old July 11th 05, 12:25 PM
David Ferguson

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:42:44 -0700, Tim Lines
wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be a chiropractor, would you? Not that there's
anything wrong with that.

one cookie
Old July 11th 05, 02:29 PM

People who have successful back surgeries tend to just go on with their
lives and don't talk/write about it, people with unsuccessful back
surgeries tend to never stop talking about it as their back pain ruined
their lives, that could explain your research results.

I had L5/S1 fused, back is like new, 10 years post op. They have
artificial discs now that weren't available when I had surgery, that
should increase the success of future surgeries.

Old July 11th 05, 03:58 PM
Tim Lines

wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be a chiropractor, would you? Not that there's
anything wrong with that.

one cookie

That's reassuring. For a moment, I was worried about you.

Actually, I found your post interesting. My sister-in-law had back
surgery a couple years ago and it made her problems worse. I didn't
know that happened frequently. So I learned something.
Old July 11th 05, 06:33 PM
David Ferguson

wrote:

You wouldn't happen to be a chiropractor, would you? Not that there's
anything wrong with that.

one cookie

That's reassuring. For a moment, I was worried about you.

Actually, I found your post interesting. My sister-in-law had back
surgery a couple years ago and it made her problems worse. I didn't
know that happened frequently. So I learned something.

Sometimes it is necessary but due to the risk of complications and
high failure rate it should be the LAST resort.

Sorry to hear about our sister-in-law. That's really rough.

Old July 11th 05, 09:24 PM
Eric Hill

Callistus Valerius wrote:
I'm happy you feel better. If I may ask, have you ever ridden a bicycle
before?

further info:
http://groups-beta.google.com/groups...anifoldrecords

switching trials stance (as in which foot is in back) muniracer Unicycling 38 January 10th 05 03:45 PM
Billy removes support from Peewee (seeXXXVII for a Laugh) Di Social Issues 3 October 29th 04 05:31 AM
Oh my aching back Grumpy Techniques 19 August 15th 04 11:33 PM
Back in the saddle!!!!!!! Krashin'Kenny Unicycling 6 December 23rd 03 01:18 AM
Lower back pains Jiyang Chen General 7 July 28th 03 01:10 PM