Fork Overhaul ended in Pilot Vs Axel

Old July 18th 03, 05:41 AM
Andrew

Default Fork Overhaul ended in Pilot Vs Axel

This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap trek
hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
THANKS

Manitou 03 Axel Super Fork

03 Axel, 4.2 lbs Changeable Travel 80mm to 100mm, reverse Arch Lower Casting
for Stiffness, TPC Damping with adjustable Preload & Rebound, Coil Spring,
Micro Lube Black Finish
$149.99

Vs

The 2003 Pilot XC from Rock Shox is a sweet cross-country fork utilizing a
single sided coil spring with air assist. The positive air pressure is
adjustable via schrader valve so you can tune the fork to precisely suit
your weight.

The Pilot XC inherits SID inspired magnesium lower legs that are lightweight
and stiff. The crown is a lightweight aluminum forging, while the HC2
damping offers a broad linear adjustment range with a dramatic reduction in
fade. 28mm chromed steel upper tubes run butter smooth without the need for
boots. Chromoly steerer tube is super strong.

Fork features both V-Brake® and international standard disc brake mounts.
Max tire size 2.1".

Travel: 80/100 mm via internal spacer
Weight: 4.38 lbs (uncut steerer tube)
Spring: Coil with air assist
Adjustments: Internal HC2 damping, positive air pressure
Stanchion Tubes: Chromed steel
$149

Old July 18th 03, 07:18 AM
Jon Bond

Be careful with the older Manitous - my coach had both of the internals in
his manitous eject themselves from the fork and graze his ears. He found
the parts, put them back in, and the forks still work, but that's NOT
something you want happening! Especially if his head was an inch and a half
over...

(They recalled them IIRC, but NOS ones might not have been returned)

Jon Bond

"B. Sanders" wrote in message
Neither. I'd buy a mint-condition or NOS Manitou SX-R or Manitou Magnum R
on Ebay for $30 to $50. A couple of months ago I bought a mint-condition
Manitou X-Vert for $60. Plenty of awesome fork deals to be had on Ebay.
The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
made cheaper, and they cost more.

Barry

Old July 18th 03, 07:23 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
made cheaper, and they cost more.

Are they?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 18th 03, 03:35 PM
ctg

"Andrew" wrote in message
This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap

trek
hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
THANKS

Scrounge up 60 more bucks.

http://www.phattire.com/mar20z3bam.html

Chris

Old July 18th 03, 06:58 PM
ctg

Default Blatant SPAM

"Andrew" wrote in message
This is how my fork overhul attempt ended, Which el cheapo fork would you
choose if you ever get in the situation with little money and you missed
badly getting outside to ride Both $150. By the way 170lbs 5'8" cheap

trek
hardtail rider in Philadelphia.
THANKS

Forogt to say in my other post if you're in desperate financial staights I
still have this laying in my closet...It's selling on the cheap (because,
well, it's cheap oem) but it will get you on the trail again.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=979

Chris

Old July 19th 03, 02:52 AM
KSlater

That's a major problem. Why don't the fork companies realise we like flex?
So far MZ seems to have the best one with the Shiver DC.

"R.White" wrote in message
om...
"B. Sanders" wrote in message

Neither. I'd buy a mint-condition or NOS Manitou SX-R or Manitou Magnum

on Ebay for $30 to $50. A couple of months ago I bought a

mint-condition
Manitou X-Vert for $60. Plenty of awesome fork deals to be had on Ebay.
The newer forks aren't any better, or any lighter. If anything, they're
made cheaper, and they cost more.

Yes, but every year each fork is 15% stiffer than last year. Soon
they will be as stiff as a rigid fork.

Old July 19th 03, 11:44 AM
ctg

"B. Sanders" wrote in message
"ctg" wrote in message

Forogt to say in my other post if you're in desperate financial staights

still have this laying in my closet...It's selling on the cheap

(because,
well, it's cheap oem) but it will get you on the trail again.

http://www.dirtragmag.com/forums/sho...=&threadid=979

That's a nice fork at a good price. Manitou's TPC Sport oil damping is
*much* better than no damping at all, which is what you get in most

low-end
forks.

If the bushings are still tight, and the stanchions aren't scored, this is

good deal for somebody. (I have seen this type of fork for slightly less

on
Ebay; but then you have to deal with Ebay, crazy-high shipping, snipe

bids,
etc.)

It looks a lot like my Manitou Magnum-R fork, and the specs appear to be
almost identical (travel, damping, adjustment).

-Barry

The stanchions are fine, I never took the boots off, and I never noticed
play in the bushings. I'd rather not ebay it, even though it often turns
into a seller's market. I saw some optimist trying to sell an sx for $100
with a buy-it-now option of $200, lol.

Chris