Flip flop hub and 2 chainrings?

Old April 10th 08, 02:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Flip flop hub and 2 chainrings?

On Apr 9, 8:13*pm, LF wrote:
snip
Seems to

me your double freewheel flip flop hub thing is about like having a
normal geared bike except its less useful. *Why not just stick with
the normal single speed or the normal geared bike. *Why create an
abberation midway between the two.

Russell,
I find myself preferring my fixed gear bike. *It's fun. *But, I am
weak. *It's great for rolling terrain, but I'm fearful of large
hills. *I remember reading about some British guy who set up a bike
with a flip-flop hub and double chain ring. *I'm only looking for two
gears, no more. *I'm hoping that I could use this set up to mostly
ride fixed, but also have the option of a free wheeling, bail out gear
for that too long climb. *In general, I'm too lazy to get off my bike
and flip the floppable wheel. *So far, I never have. *Sloth forces me
to bludgeon over the obstacle. *However, cowering in the looming
shadow of a seemingly insurmountable mogul, I might give it a whirl.
I guess I could always get off and walk -- again. *It would be easier
an simpler than flopping. *But, I imagine my self on a long ride, and
when I cross the great plains, and come to the foothills of the
rockies, I could flip it.
Best,
Larry

How does having two chainrings eliminate the necessity of stopping,
undoing the rear bolt/quick release, moving the chain to the right
ring, adjusting chain tension, retightening the wheel? With the flip
flop hub you seem to disdain, you do about the same thing as you will
have to do with your double chainring setup. Maybe a bit more
cumbersome to flip the wheel around than move a chain between rings,
but not enough to matter. With a fixed gear, flip flop, single or
double cog freewheel, or single or double ring crank, you have to stop
and do some work to change gears. If you want the ability to change
gears without it being cumbersome, get a geared bike. If you want the
simplicity of single speed, then stick with a flip flop rear hub so
you have a bailout gear if you really really need it. Creating a
middle machine just gives you the disadvantage (small as that may be)
of both.
Old April 10th 08, 03:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 10, 8:57*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 9, 8:13*pm, LF wrote:

[...]

of both.- Hide quoted text -

Forgot to add this. Sounds like what you really want is the old time
rod actuated Campagnolo Cambio Corsa shifting system.

http://patentpending.blogs.com/paten...nolos_fir.html

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/campagnolo.html

http://www.campyonly.com/history.html