As soft and silent as the mist...

Old March 26th 06, 10:27 PM posted to aus.bicycle

Default As soft and silent as the mist...

I am a stealthy ninja-type cyclist, I am. Or something. I had
three...THREE *waves hand wildly with a slender majority of digits
extended* cars cut in front of me and immediately hit the brakes to
turn left this morning. The last one turned into a petrol station and
my bidon's gone walkies so I decided to slay twa birdies with ain rock
and pulled in. I pointed out my stealth orange UNO jersey, my invisible
flashing red light and the special assassin issue reflective strip
across the back of the pannier and he still smidsy'd at me. I swear
people need either more or less coffee before they head out as the
current amount clearly doesn't cut it.

--
Resound

Old March 27th 06, 11:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Maybe, just maybe those HIGH VISIBILITY cyclists, completely attired in
Safety Black and "sans lights", are onto something?

--
cfsmtb

Old March 27th 06, 11:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-03-27, cfsmtb (aka Bruce)

Maybe, just maybe those HIGH VISIBILITY cyclists, completely attired in
Safety Black and "sans lights", are onto something?

I really should get rid of my stealth orange bandana. Stealth orange
seems to have the power to render the rest of the vehicle in question
invisible too (stealth orange Kat, stealth orange vest, etc). I'm
sure it works even if the bandana in question is mostly not visible
because of the helmet.

P.S. Helmets are good. How else do I secure the bandana, a helmet
mirror, and 3 little flashy lights and a big flashy light? I am the
fashion capital!

--
TimC
Yay! I have found the last bug bug bug bug bug bug bug
Old March 27th 06, 11:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

cfsmtb Wrote:
Maybe, just maybe those HIGH VISIBILITY cyclists, completely attired in
Safety Black and "sans lights", are onto something?yup, perhaps we all should go the new ('al la Me!bourne) black and wear

...umm ...Black, its psychological connotations of power, evil and
aggession just might disuade some cagers to set us as targets...it
worked for the motorised two wheel set, even for the SS ( sorry, I
don't mean single speeds, regrettably , but Adolf's SS), and every
telly star, maybe star, sometimes extra hanging around south yarra, all
the real estate sales sign pluggers in their saab/bimmer (drivers of the
cheaper models of course) etc......

Assos and Descente do a good line in the evil empire shading...exxy at
Max's but maybe that's the way to go...from the black helmet ( there's
that word again...sssshhhh) down to the black Duegis or Sidis...time to
visit Shifterbikes

I've been threatening to do that for a while, ( although must fess that
the threat included wearing a pink tutu over the black clad bod) but it
could happen yet!!

go mean not yellow or green...cut the slack...give it back....wear
black...

--
rooman

Roadie & Track

Old March 27th 06, 08:30 PM posted to aus.bicycle

In aus.bicycle on Mon, 27 Mar 2006 10:30:47 GMT
TimC wrote:
I really should get rid of my stealth orange bandana. Stealth orange
seems to have the power to render the rest of the vehicle in question
invisible too (stealth orange Kat, stealth orange vest, etc). I'm
sure it works even if the bandana in question is mostly not visible
because of the helmet.

I think the problem is that these bright colours make riders look like
namby pamby nice guys.

As in not real people.

Maybe it's the association with road workers and other furniture?

Zebee
Old March 28th 06, 02:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle

This theory of black/power orange/nice may have legs.

I find I get more room given to me when I have my 1" chain slung around
my shoulders... wonder why that is?

Old March 28th 06, 02:35 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Duncan Wrote:
This theory of black/power orange/nice may have legs.

I find I get more room given to me when I have my 1" chain slung
around
my shoulders... wonder why that is?

Dont you get tired of getting the chain grease outta your jerseys???

--
warrwych

Old March 28th 06, 02:39 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Duncan Wrote:
This theory of black/power orange/nice may have legs.

I find I get more room given to me when I have my 1" chain slung
around
my shoulders... wonder why that is?

I found the same thing for the time when I wore my pollution mask - One
of these: http://www.respro.com/urbancommuting_cycling.php Whether it
was the slightly sinister look, or just that they wondered what the
hell I was thinking, both achieved positive results

--
eddiec