Unicycling Merit Badge?

Old May 29th 07, 10:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

Default Unicycling Merit Badge?

onefluffybunny wrote:

Ok, I have revised the reqs based on your comments, so please see the
following modifications to the requirements (see changes to 1, 2, 8, 9,
and 10):

1. Do the following:
a. Give general unicycling safety rules and etiquette.
b. Describe the parts and functions of a unicycle.
c. Describe the required and recommended safety equipment.
d. Show that you know first aid for injuries or illnesses that
could occur while unicycling.
2. Using pictures, present the history of unicycling.
3. Clean and adjust a unicycle. Prepare it for inspection using a
unicycle safety checklist.
4. Show your unicycle to your counselor for inspection. Do the
following:
a. Show all parts that should be checked regularly to make sure the
unicycle is safe to ride.
b. Show how to adjust seat level and height.
5. Demonstrate the following:
a. Proper mounting, pedaling, stopping, and dismounting.
b. Making left and right turns by performing a figure-8.
c. Rolling off a curb or other obstacle.
d. Idling 10 times.
e. Hopping 5 times.
6. Explain the differences between standard, trials, freestyle, muni,
and touring unicycles.
7. Describe your traffic laws for unicycles. Compare them with
pedestrian and motor-vehicle laws.
8. Avoiding major highways, plan and take 2 2-mile trips and 1 5-mile
trip. Report the route you took and interesting things seen.
9. Do one of the following:
a. Demonstrate advanced maneuvers, including backwards riding,
one-footed riding, and wheel-walking.
b. Wearing proper safety gear, take 2 muni rides of at least one
mile. Demonstrate mounting technique on slopes.
c. Compete in a trials event.
d. Play a sport on a unicycle, such as basketball, hockey, or
jousting.
10. Do one of the following:
a. Attend a unicycle convention. Tell your counselor about it.
b. Visit a unicycle club. Tell your counselor about it.
c. Give a talk and demonstration about unicycling to your troop or
school class.

What do people think? Is this better? Do-able?

I think the skill things are still too hard. You are assuming that
people own their own unicycle, and practice it every day. That's a
pretty reasonable expectation of bikers, but not of people who are
beginners at riding unicycles.

Remember a lot of people, almost certainly most people who learn to
ride a unicycle, are only using unicycles once a week at a juggling or
unicycling club, scout group or similar. Over the sort of timescale
you're describing, you can expect someone to be able to get on (by
holding onto something) and ride for say 50 metres. Nothing more. You
could put the others in '9a)demonstrate an advanced manouvre, such as
mounting, idling, riding backwards'

Number 7 is a bad idea, because in many places, the traffic law for
unicycles is basically undefined, and there's no case law about them.
Even a lawyer wouldn't be able to answer this in some states of the US
and many countries around the world.

Number 2 is interesting, but very few people actually know anything
about this, so it'd be very hard to find out.

10a and b are both very location based. Most people don't live near a
unicycling club or convention.

You could change 10b to visit a unicycling or circus skills club.
Because there are likely to be more of those, and they're surely the
most popular place to learn unicycling still.

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old May 29th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skianduniaddict

i quit boyscout cause they suck there so corny. i wnet to camp and they
were teaching us how to swim and bike and hike. like we didnt already
know

--
skianduniaddict

unifreak7 wrote:
IT makes me mad how skianduniaddict is so much better than me at
street.
-Shaun JOhanneson

unifreak7 wrote:
skianduniaddict kicks my ass at street
-Shaun JOhanneson

Det-riot wrote:
PWNN'D by garvity, the unicyclists greatest enemy *shakes fist at
ground*

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 25th 07, 09:06 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I'm a star scout now and have 3 more merit badges and a service project
left to get my eagle I think a unicycling merit badge would have been
awesome, I did most of the cycling merit badge with my 36'er people
were so amazed by it, it made me laugh.Anyway here's the way I would
set up the unicycling Merit badge.

1. DO THE FOLLOWING:[/b]

*
4. SHOW YOUR UNICYCLE TO YOUR COUNSELOR FOR INSPECTION. DO THE
FOLLOWING:*
A. SHOW ALL PARTS THAT SHOULD BE CHECKED REGULARLY TO MAKE SURE THE
UNICYCLE IS SAFE TO RIDE.
B. SHOW HOW TO ADJUST SEAT LEVEL AND HEIGHT.

*5. DO _THREE_ OF THE FOLLOWING:*
A. MOUNT UNICYCLE UNASSISTED, RIDE 50 METERS, DISMOUNT GRACEFULLY WITH
UNICYCLE IN FRONT
B. MOUNT WITH LEFT FOOT, MOUNT WITH RIGHT FOOT, RIDE 10 METERS BETWEEN
TWO PARALLEL LINES 30 CM APART.
C.RIDE DOWN A 15 CM VERTICAL DROP
D. MAKE A 90 DEGREE TURN TO THE LEFT INSIDE A 1 METER CIRCLE, MAKE A 90
DEGREE TURN TO THE RIGHT INSIDE A 1 METER CIRCLE
E. DEMONSTRATE 3 TYPES OF MOUNTS

*6. EXPLAIN THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN STANDARD, TRIALS, FREESTYLE, MUNI,
AND TOURING UNICYCLES.
[b]7. Describe your traffic laws for unicycles. Compare them with
pedestrian and motor-vehicle laws.*

8. AVOIDING MAJOR HIGHWAYS, PLAN AND TAKE 2 2-MILE TRIPS AND 1 5-MILE
TRIP. REPORT THE ROUTE YOU TOOK AND INTERESTING THINGS SEEN.
*9. Do _one_ of the following: *
a. Demonstrate an advanced maneuvers such as coming to a stop, pedaling
half a revolution backward and continuing forward, or riding/hoping
over a 10 x 10 cm. obstacle
b. Wearing proper safety gear, take 2 muni rides of at least one mile.
Demonstrate mounting technique on slopes.
c. Compete in a trials event.
d. Play a sport on a unicycle, such as basketball, hockey, or jousting.

*10. Do _one_ of the following:*
a. Attend a unicycle convention. Tell your counselor about it.
b. Visit a unicycle club. Tell your counselor about it.
c. Give a talk and demonstration about unicycling to your troop or
school class.
d. Attend a circus workshop and participate in a unicyling class. Tell
your counselor about it

--
Ducttape

'-*buy my shirts*-'
(http://www.zazzle.com/ducttapesunicycle/products)
'*watch my videos*'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=ducttapesunicycle)
'*uniman comics*'
'*original thread for uniman*'
*'sigged quotes' (http://tinyurl.com/29b744)*
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 05:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

better idea
boy scouts = for city kids that are ahem weak in manliness

if we get people like that with unicycling we will be required to wear
a freaking bullet proof suit (full body) to ride a unicycle, that is
lame.

eh
i think the cycling badge should be adapted to work for either a bike
or unicycle. thats all...

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes mostly'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

The UniSLAB wrote:
don't worry about those little clown tricks called flips and wrap
arounds. We don't dance with our unis, we jump them[over trucks]

sutton629 wrote:
I honestly have a hard time believing that you are really a white guy

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 26th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

skrobo wrote:
better idea
boy scouts = for city kids that are ahem weak in manliness

if we get people like that with unicycling we will be required to wear
a freaking bullet proof suit (full body) to ride a unicycle, that is
lame.

eh
i think the cycling badge should be adapted to work for either a bike
or unicycle. thats all...

HEY!!! I don't think that boy scouts are city kids that are weak in
manliness, in fact I know quite a few Eagle scouts (and current boy
scouts) that could kick your sorry arse.... there are a lot of wimpy
city kids I know in boy scouts though....

Old November 26th 07, 07:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
robdizzle

yeah i was star
but 8
would be hell for anyon on a 20"
5 miles on a 20"?

O__O

--
robdizzle

'The Great Chicago Meet-up Thread'
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 27th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

robdizzle wrote:
yeah i was star
but 8
would be hell for anyon on a 20"
5 miles on a 20"?

O__O

Naw, I've done about 10 on a 20" way before I got my coker of course,
but still I had no problems, and I did it on a Torker CX...

Old November 27th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Poseidon

WAY TO BE!

I was just thinking about a unicycling merit badge, sounds like a VERY
good idea! Your requirements look very well thought-out!

*High-Five*!

--
Poseidon

*If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!*

*Number of "Where's the other wheel?!" comments:* *2*
'*The best Juggling/Unicycling equipment on the
planet:** Renegade Juggling*'
(www.renegadejuggling.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 27th 07, 01:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

Poseidon wrote:
WAY TO BE!

I was just thinking about a unicycling merit badge, sounds like a VERY
good idea! Your requirements look very well thought-out!

*High-Five*!

thanks, but all I did was change someone elses idea to work a little
better...I don't really deserve credit for that.

Old November 27th 07, 01:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Poseidon

Oh, whoops, I didn't realize this was a 2 page thread before I posted.

I meant the compliment the first starter of this thread for actually
putting some thought into the topic.