Ear splitting horn for dog protection?

Old April 7th 08, 03:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jim Martin[_2_]

Default Ear splitting horn for dog protection?

Hello All:

There is a road in my area that is closed to traffic for the spring.
Perfect for riding except that it is also popular among people who walk
their dogs. Most of the people let their dogs off the leash and it can
be pretty dangerous. Many of the dogs seem to want to run right into my
front wheel. Of course the owners are dozens of yards away and do
nothing about. Brings to mind a joke: Question: How does a dog owner
greet a cyclist? Ans: Oh, sorry!

So, I am imagining that there must a horn I can buy that would send
these dogs running for cover. Something with a CO2 cartridge for power.
Mounted on my bars it could clear a safe path through the dogs.

Can anyone point me a source for such a horn and handlebar mount?

Thanks,

Jim

Old April 7th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jim Martin wrote:

There is a road in my area that is closed to traffic for the spring.
Perfect for riding except that it is also popular among people who walk
their dogs. Most of the people let their dogs off the leash and it can
be pretty dangerous. Many of the dogs seem to want to run right into my
front wheel. Of course the owners are dozens of yards away and do
nothing about. Brings to mind a joke: Question: How does a dog owner
greet a cyclist? Ans: Oh, sorry!

So, I am imagining that there must a horn I can buy that would send
these dogs running for cover. Something with a CO2 cartridge for power.
Mounted on my bars it could clear a safe path through the dogs.

Can anyone point me a source for such a horn and handlebar mount?

The Delta Air Zound is a very loud horn-- louder than a car horn and
similar to the air horns used on boats and at sporting events. It
uses a plastic soda-type bottle that you inflate with a tire pump.

http://www.deltacycle.com/product.php?g=1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjH4tNUZ_g

The handlebar mount is convenient, but there is a handheld version
too.

Chalo
Old April 7th 08, 04:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...llents&spell=1

moist dog brain-sensory nuerons are smell/nose related not ear related
Old April 7th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 10:42*am, datakoll wrote:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...IE-SearchBox&r....

moist dog brain-sensory nuerons are smell/nose related not ear related

"touch" would have to be up there, as well.

This also figures into "training", as in "teaching dogs to keep their
distance from cyclists". --D-y
Old April 7th 08, 05:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Jim Martin wrote:

So, I am imagining that there must a horn I can buy that would send
these dogs running for cover. Something with a CO2 cartridge for power.
Mounted on my bars it could clear a safe path through the dogs.

Can anyone point me a source for such a horn and handlebar mount?

Many years ago I used one of these
"http://www.bargainoutfitters.com/cb/cb.asp?a=272977" and it worked very
well against errant drivers. I never tried it against dogs.

I mounted it the handlebar with some hose clamps if I recall correctly.
A nicer mount would be to buy the NiteIze C size flashlight clamp

Actually someone once told me that a loud police whistle serves the same
purpose. It sends most dogs running, though I also heard that pit bulls
aren't affected by it.

The Airzound uses compressed air and fits in a water bottle cage.

Old April 7th 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 7, 11:46*am, " wrote:
On Apr 7, 10:42*am, datakoll wrote:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&r...IE-SearchBox&r....

moist dog brain-sensory nuerons are smell/nose related not ear related

"touch" would have to be up there, as well.

This also figures into "training", as in "teaching dogs to keep their
distance from cyclists". *--D-y

perhaps a silent dog whistle might work better; you could ride with it
in "dog areas" in your mouth and give a quick blow when you see a dog
that might run into your way; a quick burst might be enough to get the
dogs attention, to stop and look.
Old April 7th 08, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Leo Lichtman

You need to be aware that very loud noise can cause you ear damage. I wear
$6000 worth of hearing aids because I ignored this when I was younger.

Old April 7th 08, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Jim Martin wrote:

Can anyone point me a source for such a horn and handlebar mount?

You can use an AirZound, which stores the air in a bottle that is in the
water bottle cage.

Probably a less cumbersome, but equally loud, solution is a mini marine
signal horn, see "http://www.wholesalemarine.com/p/FAL-SH3/".

See "http://www.nordicgroup.us/s78/flashlights.html" for some ideas on
handlebar mounting. You could use two NiteIze C size flashlight clamps
combined with a handlebar mount water bottle cage boss clamp (drill a
hole in the center of each clamp), or you could use two appropriately
sized conduit clamps.

A long time ago I read that a loud police whistle worked to scare away
dogs, and I tried it and it worked well. However I also read that it
doesn't work on pit bulls!

Lane splitting cfsmtb Australia 63 January 28th 06 11:02 AM
What is the law with regards to lane splitting car/bike? Charles M General 27 September 27th 05 05:34 AM
Overinflation, rim splitting, rim damage again Phil, Squid-in-Training Techniques 32 April 21st 05 05:10 PM
lane splitting -- when to and when not to ?? Ravi General 20 December 8th 04 06:29 AM
Splitting in tires question B.B. Techniques 2 October 19th 04 06:17 AM