Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

Old June 17th 16, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Stripped #20 Torx: Extraction?

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 9:24:40 AM UTC-4, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tosspot:
Due to ****wittery above and beyond the call of duty, which I won't
relate here, I wound up sending a Rohloff back to the factory for repair
and found the rates, while not cheap, where not of the eye watering
stratospheric levels I was expecting. In fact the postage was a
sizeable chunk of the final bill.

The price I got from the USA repair dealer was $80 for disassembly,
general overhaul, and new oil - and "Drilling Out" the stuck screw.

Shipping was going to be about $25 each way - so figure $130 if no
additional work/parts required.
--
Pete Cresswell

REASONABLE given you bought it with $$$ .....expect the unit back in fairly new and reliable condition.

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...R AL+OVERHAUL

BTW you wrote drilled, he didn't.

Old June 17th 16, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
On Wednesday, June 15, 2016 at 11:23:53 AM UTC-7, Ian Field wrote:

I'd go for a modeler's pencil blowtorch. You can go in with the flame tip
on
the work only a few mm diameter.

Any soldering iron up to such a job probably has an iron plated bit, good
chance of damaging that wiggling it on trying to get a good thermal
contact.

The problem is that heating the bolt alone won't do a good job. Since the
bolt is steel and the hub it was stuck in is aluminum you have to head the
area of the threaded hub as well. It is not the heat that frees the bolt
but the cooling of the bolt before the cooling of the hubs starts.

With a bolt screwed into alloy - its just kinda obvious to heat and expand
the alloy. Except for very small assemblies, a soldering iron is a pretty
silly idea.

Old June 17th 16, 07:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
Heat gun n funnel

Most heat guns come with an assortment of nozzles - using anything else
could invalidate any warranty.

Old June 17th 16, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/06/16 15:24, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tosspot:
Due to ****wittery above and beyond the call of duty, which I won't
relate here, I wound up sending a Rohloff back to the factory for repair
and found the rates, while not cheap, where not of the eye watering
stratospheric levels I was expecting. In fact the postage was a
sizeable chunk of the final bill.

The price I got from the USA repair dealer was $80 for disassembly,
general overhaul, and new oil - and "Drilling Out" the stuck screw.

Shipping was going to be about $25 each way - so figure $130 if no
additional work/parts required.

That's interesting. I had a bit more work done than that, but the same
disassembly, general overhaul, and new oil. It came to around 200 USD.

Old June 17th 16, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/17/2016 3:18 PM, Tosspot wrote:
On 17/06/16 15:24, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Tosspot:
Due to ****wittery above and beyond the call of duty, which I won't
relate here, I wound up sending a Rohloff back to the factory for repair
and found the rates, while not cheap, where not of the eye watering
stratospheric levels I was expecting. In fact the postage was a
sizeable chunk of the final bill.

The price I got from the USA repair dealer was $80 for disassembly,
general overhaul, and new oil - and "Drilling Out" the stuck screw.

Shipping was going to be about $25 each way - so figure $130 if no
additional work/parts required.

That's interesting. I had a bit more work done than that, but the same
disassembly, general overhaul, and new oil. It came to around 200 USD.

I'm curious. What generated the need for overhaul?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 18th 16, 01:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 2:00:07 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
Heat gun n funnel

Most heat guns come with an assortment of nozzles - using anything else
could invalidate any warranty.

FUNNEL's for the freezer....duh.

the iron is a very good idea IF the process is meant to powdering red locktite.
as you put the screw in and know the screw/body is corrosion free.
Old June 18th 16, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Tosspot:
That's interesting. I had a bit more work done than that, but the same
disassembly, general overhaul, and new oil. It came to around 200 USD.

To me that means my estimate is lacking...
--
Pete Cresswell
Old June 18th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 17, 2016 at 4:33:07 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

discontent !

https://www.rohloff.de/en/service/fa...ice/index.html
Old June 18th 16, 06:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 17/06/16 22:33, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

fingers in ear Not telling! Nanannah!

It involved a sprocket change...

Old June 25th 16, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

I've been impressed with the range of technical advice offered in this thread, some of it even pertinent, quite a bit of it surprisingly good -- on the assumption that the owner of the expensive gearbox either doesn't care that it is cosmetically wrecked, that his implied warranty is endangered, or that he can afford totally to wreck an expensive component, and, of course, the overbearing assumption that everyone has a fully-equipped workshop.

As you can see, I've been less impressed by the amount of common sense shown here. For instance only one poster, in fact the most experienced in the matter of a Rohloff gearbox requiring expert rectification, even implied (by telling us that is what he did) that the best course of action was to return the component to the official service agents -- ***and let them take the responsibility***.

Follow the stops with me. You don't get any change out of a thousand dollars when you buy a Rohloff box; in fact you're likely to spend 1200-1500 of your hardearned by the time it is in a rim and installed on the bike. If you play fair with Rohloff, which means changing the oil once a year or every 5000km and not maliciously or stupidly wrecking the box, Rohloff effectively gives you a lifetime warranty against breakages. I really shouldn't have to say that this is an incredibly valuable privilege. If you start performing DIY surgery on the box, Rohloff may, perhaps will, withdraw this valuable privilege. You lot can't even claim ignorance of this fact, because I described it in full two or three times already this year.

Now let's look into the cost of preserving this valuable privilege. Is it hundreds (as you would have to spend on a Mercedes if you stripped a bolt and took it to the official agents)? No, it isn't. It is $80, of which about $20 is accounted for by the consumptibles in the oil change included in the service (which Pete would have to spend in any event), and some more for the labor involved in the oil fill, which we'll ignore because it takes only a few minutes, so the actual cost of removing the stripped torque screw, disassembling the box, cleaning out metal bits, reassembling and servicing is about $60. And for this $60 the service agent takes total responsibility for the box, which means that the implied, and proven, extended warranty will be honored. By the normal charges for maintaining topclass German engineering, $60 is peanuts. Any other method of extracting the bolt can result in the write-off of the entire $1200 or whatever this installation cost. Only returning the box to the service agent or Rolloff preserves the asset and all its important, valuable privileges.

But did we hear this? No, we didn't (except by implication from one poster who was promptly abused by the usual idiots for knowing what he speaks of before he opens his mouth). Eveyone just rushed in with advice for home halal butchery like a bunch of Muslims coming off Ramadan. In case you haven't got it yet, a goat to butcher in the gutter in front of your house costs less than a hundred buck, while a Rohloff box costs twelve times as much as a goat.

How about stopping to think just once in a while?

This isn't about you, Pete; this is about these clowns storming in without seeing the larger picture; this was just the point at which I got terminally fed up with their astigmatism.

Andre Jute
Bring back Sheldon and Jobst and Chalo

On Tuesday, June 14, 2016 at 8:24:13 PM UTC+1, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Rohloff hub.

Broke a disk-brake-side spoke and managed to tear up one of the #20 Torx
bolts to where nothing fits it.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1081497...24104219885426

LocTite, of course..... -)

First thing that comes to mind is finding a gunsmith willing to tackle
the extraction.

OTOH, I have no way of judging such a person and it seems like the wrong
person could really mess this thing up.... as in metal filings in the
innards and/or a broken-off bolt with nothing to grab on to for further
extraction efforts.

Thoughts ?
--
Pete Cresswell

OT Torx drill bit Judith[_4_] UK 56 March 13th 12 08:25 AM
crank extraction tool grylion UK 10 February 19th 06 11:38 PM
Stronglight crank extraction David Damerell Techniques 2 June 6th 05 07:38 PM
bolt extraction j morelstein Techniques 10 January 19th 05 03:07 AM
torx Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 2 May 16th 04 05:48 PM