Toughest road bike tires?

Old June 20th 16, 05:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Toughest road bike tires?

On 2016-06-20 08:36, sms wrote:
On 6/20/2016 6:47 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Quote "Availability: Out of Stock - Order now to ensure priority" and
"We can only sell this item in our retail stores because this
manufacturer currently prohibits online sales and shipping".

It appears that Specialized should rethink their sales strategies. They
are shooting themselves in the foot with this.

True. Specialized is hurting not only themselves, but the LBS that is
savvy enough to do both online sales and in-store sales.

Finding items in-stock at an LBS is so difficult and time-consuming that
many cyclists don't even bother to try. Plus you have to deal with
banker's hours (or worse) at so many shops.

raises_hand

I am one of those cyclists. The only item I bought in a bike shop over
the last 12 months was a small patch kit. Because I had helped out some
others and the cement dried up (wish they'd sell that separately).

As long as an LBS is a Specialized dealer, and as long as they are
adhering to any MAP policy, what's the difference if they ship a tire?
They aren't shipping complete bicycles.

Well, this creates jobs. In Asia.

The shop I used to buy stuff at is now so tied to Trek that not only do
they sell only Trek bicycles, but nearly all the accessories and parts
they sell are also a Trek brand, except when Trek doesn't have an
offering. It's become useless.

Sadly, my wholesale QBP connection has graduated from college and no
longer can order stuff for me through the campus bike co-op. That was
quite a deal, though many of the items were not much more on Amazon.

My usual sources are Amazon, Pricepoint, Nashbar and Jenson. Pretty much
in that order because yes, Amazon is often cheapest.

Price becomes more and more important because some stuff just ain't as
good anymore. Such as cassettes. Both the cassettes on my MTB as well as
the road bike started skipping in frequently used gears after 1000mi or
so. Despite me never letting a chain go past 0.8% stretch. I find that
pathetic. That was much better in the 80's.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/