doubling up single Torpedo wire wheels

Old June 20th 16, 02:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default doubling up single Torpedo wire wheels

AMuzi writes:

A modern nylon plate under the BB works very
well. I added one in 1985, no trouble since.

How does that work? Like two small tunnels?
They don't get jammed with dirt from being so
low, under the bike? And how do you attach
the plate?

As for rust, obviously that isn't a problem
with the small Torpedo pulley wheels which are
of some white plastic (?) - however parts of
the flanges to make the chute are sometimes
missing (broke).

Perhaps this happens all the more here because
of the winters, but plastic parts are almost
always defect in some way. Only sticky tape on
bikes are much worse still...

An example (of plastic) speaking of Torpedo is
the three speed controller vs. actually both
versions of the five speed controller.
The three speed one is much less plastic and is
almost always just open, clean, oil up and it
works instantly. On the other controllers,
which are much more plastic (especially the one
with pozidriv screws) today I disassembled two,
to get one, as on one, there was a crack in the
back case part, and on the other, a crack in
the arm!

But apart from being in plastic, I actually
like the "pozidriv screws" controller - very
easy and fast to operate...

- so far: 52 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 20th 16, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

No, it is apparently not, but never the less
he does better at it than some "Americans".

I always thought "act like a professional, you
become a professional" (professional = person
with high skills) so I encourage everyone to
correct at least my bike English whenever
called for!

- so far: 52 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 20th 16, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 03:01:13 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

AMuzi writes:

A modern nylon plate under the BB works very
well. I added one in 1985, no trouble since.

How does that work? Like two small tunnels?
They don't get jammed with dirt from being so
low, under the bike? And how do you attach
the plate?

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cable_guide

The metal guides above the bottom bracket are the older design and the
plastic guides on the bottom of the BB are the more recent.

As for rust, obviously that isn't a problem
with the small Torpedo pulley wheels which are
of some white plastic (?) - however parts of
the flanges to make the chute are sometimes
missing (broke).

I don't live in the land of the midnight sun, but using the better
quality brake or shift cables and a bit of grease on the guide I've
had no rust problems.

--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 20th 16, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

John B. writes:

The metal guides above the bottom bracket are
the older design and the plastic guides on
the bottom of the BB are the more recent.

Aha, those! - but I have not seen those being
manually/mechanically attached to the frame,
but that's something I'd like to do, for sure!

- so far: 52 Blogomatic articles -
Old June 20th 16, 07:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 20 Jun 2016 06:54:44 +0200, Emanuel Berg
wrote:

John B. writes:

The metal guides above the bottom bracket are
the older design and the plastic guides on
the bottom of the BB are the more recent.

Aha, those! - but I have not seen those being
manually/mechanically attached to the frame,
but that's something I'd like to do, for sure!

The plastic guides usually are held on with a single bolt. The metal
guides are usually brazed on although there a time when they too were
clamped on. See http://tinyurl.com/jz3tgkq
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 20th 16, 01:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/19/2016 8:01 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi writes:

[...]

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/nylonplt.jpg

Somewhere between cheap and free at any LBS.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 20th 16, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

"Emanuel Berg" wrote in message
AMuzi writes:

A modern nylon plate under the BB works very
well. I added one in 1985, no trouble since.

How does that work? Like two small tunnels?
They don't get jammed with dirt from being so
low, under the bike? And how do you attach
the plate?

AFAICR: the ones fitted during manufacture have a nut welded on the inside
of the BB tube section - presumably you could retro-fit with a self tapping
screw.

Old June 20th 16, 09:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, June 19, 2016 at 9:06:14 PM UTC-4, Emanuel Berg wrote:
John B. writes:

No, it is apparently not, but never the less
he does better at it than some "Americans".

I always thought "act like a professional, you
become a professional" (professional = person
with high skills) so I encourage everyone to
correct at least my bike English whenever
called for!

Well, since you asked: In the U.S. at least, "wire wheel" usually means
this to most shop workers:
http://cdn2.hubspot.net/hubfs/484035...el_Brushes.jpg

Unless you're talking to certain car enthusiasts, who would think you meant this: https://classicmotorsports.com/media...e-Wheel-09.jpg

- Frank Krygowski
Old June 20th 16, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi writes:

A modern nylon plate under the BB works very
well. I added one in 1985, no trouble since.

How does that work? Like two small tunnels?
They don't get jammed with dirt from being so
low, under the bike? And how do you attach
the plate?

AFAICR: the ones fitted during manufacture have a nut welded
on the inside of the BB tube section - presumably you could
retro-fit with a self tapping screw.

I've never seen that. Possible I suppose.

The original Vitus design popped into a large BB hole with a
molded plastic peg on the frame side. There were others
after with a locating peg (the gear wire(s) hold it against
the frame). Trek's first design had two 3mm screws threaded
into the BB shell, like a mini belt-with-suspenders. Modern
ones thread a 5mm screw into the BB shell, no nut.

Old June 20th 16, 10:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

AMuzi writes:

The original Vitus design popped into a large
BB hole with a molded plastic peg on the
frame side. There were others after with
a locating peg (the gear wire(s) hold it
against the frame). Trek's first design had
two 3mm screws threaded into the BB shell,
like a mini belt-with-suspenders. Modern ones
thread a 5mm screw into the BB shell, no nut.

Perhaps you can make such a hole in the frame,
if there isn't one?

- so far: 55 Blogomatic articles -