The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

Old February 27th 18, 11:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 1:57:04 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/27/2018 1:59 PM, jbeattie wrote:

I don't see any place for horses on popular public forest trails or unleashed dogs -- one of which nearly tackled my wife, who is not as robust as she once was. There are far, far too many dogs in the world.

"A well-trained dog is a joy and a delight. An untrained dog is a damned
nuisance. Most dogs are untrained." - Stewart Brand

Within the last two days:

A) on my mountain bike, I thought I would get run into by a large dog
running illegally off-leash in our local forest preserve. The owner
didn't hear me coming because she was yakking on her cell phone. She
apologized, but continued allowing her dogs to run.

B) Our very nice neighbors' micro-dog has yapped loudly when it saw me
outside. It also yapped loudly when it didn't see me outside, because it
yaps incredibly loudly any time anything catches its attention. That's
true even at 7 AM.

C) I spent some time with a very sweet, intelligent Golden Retriever at
a friend's house. But that young dog is still too excitable to be
trusted not to jump on guests. Hopefully it will calm down as it matures.

I've known a very few very nice dogs. I've known a few tolerable dogs.
I've known or encountered hundreds of obnoxious dogs. Unless a person
lives in the country and hunts, farms or runs a ranch, I don't see the
attraction.

Aye Chihuahua! You will be labeled as a sociopath who hates animals, humans and baby Jesus. Pitch-forks and torches are coming your way.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 28th 18, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/27/2018 5:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Again??

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 28th 18, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-27 13:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Join us and our two Labradors who are trained therapy dogs on a visit to
an Alzheimer's place. Dogs can open peoples minds there like no human
ever can. On of our dogs was guiding a blind woman for a while. In San
Francisco, not on a ranch. How do you suppose that should be done
without a dog?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old February 28th 18, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-02-27 11:39, sms wrote:
On 2/27/2018 10:22 AM, Joerg wrote:

snip

Horses with riders on them were here well before any vehicles, back in
the days when only Native Americans roamed the West. We shall not take
their rights away just because it is now perceived as inconvenient.

Who was here first is immaterial.

That's what all those people say who move onto greener turf and then
complain about the manure stench from the farms there. Or where we live
people who move here and then complain about aircraft noise. My standard
answer to them is: Leave.

Old February 28th 18, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, February 27, 2018 at 5:02:45 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
On 2018-02-27 13:56, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I was in a surgery waiting room a few years ago and some candy-striper brought in a "therapy dog" to calm the anxious family members, and all the other dogs people had smuggled into the waiting room started barking. It was like a f****** dog pound. Not calming for me. Plus, it's like forced dog petting -- you are a monster unless you pet the f****** dog and remark to the handler about what a great dog it is. Again, not calming for me.

As Frank said, "working dogs" are a different animal. Guide dogs, drug sniffing dogs, herding dogs, etc. can justify their often massive carbon footprints. As for "therapy" dogs, why not cats, lizards, fish, robots? I'd take a Swedish underwear model with a vodka tonic.

"The studies based on robot substitutes yielded positive results. These studies suggest the possibility of using robot substitutes for patients with Dementia, but further studies are required to better define the technique. Shibata et al., 2001 The text of the note suggest that robot therapy has the same effects on people as animal therapy and are currently conducting an experiment in a dementia care centre in Denmark. Preliminary results obtained from the 7-month clinical trial showed positive effects on elderly patients' mental health, but a larger patient sample and control group were necessary to scientifically verify the study's effects."

Review; Animal-assisted interventions for elderly patients affected by dementia or psychiatric disorders: A review; (2013) 47 EJPSYR 6 762-773

If you really care about the environment, you do not own two dogs just to own two dogs -- or three or five or ten. I see goddamned dog herds on some of the MUPs.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 28th 18, 03:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 07:55:35 -0800, sms
wrote:

On 2/27/2018 1:11 AM, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 26-02-18 21:34, Joerg wrote:
My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but
that ain't so bad.

I agree. Horse droppings dry quickly, leaving only something like hay
fragments on the ground.

I saw no horses all day on Saturday, but lots of nice moist horse
droppings. Maybe it's the fog that comes in at the coast that keeps
things messy.

In any case, public parks should be for self-powered activities.
Equestrians can ride on private land and mess that up as much as they want.

But according to California law horses, both ridden and driven have
the right to use the public highways and in fact the law requires that
a motor vehicle must slow down when passing to avoid frightening the
animal". Sounds like equestrians are not restricted to private land.

And you a politician not knowing that.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 18, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 26-02-18 21:34, Joerg wrote:
My experience is the opposite. Horses leave their poop all over but
that ain't so bad.

I agree. Horse droppings dry quickly, leaving only something like hay
fragments on the ground.

I saw no horses all day on Saturday, but lots of nice moist horse
droppings. Maybe it's the fog that comes in at the coast that keeps
things messy.

In any case, public parks should be for self-powered activities.
Equestrians can ride on private land and mess that up as much as they want.

Horses with riders on them were here well before any vehicles, back in
the days when only Native Americans roamed the West. We shall not take
their rights away just because it is now perceived as inconvenient.

In fact, under Federal law, horses and burros have a right to use
public lands.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 18, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 16:56:57 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Growing up as a "country boy" I've always viewed all the foolishness
about pooper scoopers" and leash laws with a jaundiced eye. If the dog
can't run wild then you shouldn't have a dog.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 28th 18, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 2/27/2018 2:34 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Aye Chihuahua! You will be labeled as a sociopath who hates animals, humans and baby Jesus. Pitch-forks and torches are coming your way.

Remember when kids use to go to their friend's houses to play without
pre-arranged "play dates?" In my neighborhood, the dogs now have play
dates with other dogs. I was talking to a neighbor walking "Bosco" and I
mentioned Jake's name and her dog got all excited thinking he was going
for a play date at Jake's house. I said "I should have spelled Jake's
name," but she said that that doesn't work because Bosco recognizes
J-A-K-E as well. At least the dogs don't wear helmets or have DRLs.
Old February 28th 18, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/27/2018 10:03 PM, sms wrote:
At least the dogs don't wear helmets or have DRLs.

I'm sure some dogs are smarter than some humans.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Euro 26er smcmorrow Unicycling 1 March 15th 07 06:40 AM
Euro 26er HistoricalGoof Unicycling 7 March 14th 07 04:34 PM
my 26er nears completion jagur Unicycling 25 August 29th 06 10:53 AM
26er vs. 29er... help! daino149 Unicycling 6 January 22nd 04 05:57 PM
29ers Mike DeMicco Mountain Biking 34 October 5th 03 07:15 PM