Aldi cycling specials on Thursday 19 July

Old July 13th 07, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alex Butcher

Default Aldi cycling specials on Thursday 19 July

Cycling computer - 12.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56051.html

Rucksack - 4.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56052.html

Cooler bag - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56053.html

Glasses - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56054.html

Car carrier - 24.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56055.html

Child Seat - 14.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56056.html

Ceiling lift - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56057.html

Cable lock - 1.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56058.html

Gel saddle cover - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56059.html

Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56060.html

Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

Best Regards,
Alex.
--
Alex Butcher, Bristol UK. PGP/GnuPG ID:0x5010dbff

"[T]he whole point about the reason why I think it is important we go for
identity cards and an identity database today is that identity fraud and
abuse is a major, major problem. Now the civil liberties aspect of it, look
it is a view, I don't personally think it matters very much."
- Tony Blair, 6 June 2006 http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page9566.asp

Old July 13th 07, 12:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark McNeill

Response to Alex Butcher:

Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

I don't recall seeing the bike lift before; it looks quite neat.

--
Mark, UK
"We live off the country: rabbits, deer, a stray hiker or two."
Old July 13th 07, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Membrane

Alex Butcher wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on this.

Cycling computer - 12.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56051.html

The last time Lidl offered a cheap wireless computer with heart rate
monitor people reported it as a very poor piece of kit (extremely narrow
gap required between the magnet and the sensor if it worked at al, and
heart rate measuring highly unreliable). Afaics this Aldi one is a
different type (and IIRC a different brand). But at that price I find it
hard to believe that it is any good. I do have a Bikemate wired computer
from Aldi and that one works fine (used as a cheapo cadence meter).

Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56060.html

That one looks conspicuously like a model I got from Maplins not too
long ago, a heap of dung it was. Frame flexed under the pressure
permanently deforming it, it also maxed out at about 75PSI, it simply
wouldn't pump any higher. I returned it for a refund and instead got a
single cylinder Halfords house brand one with a gauge. That one works
fine if you don't need 100PSI+ road bike pressures. Even the gauge
calibration on mine turned out to be spot on (could be a fluke of
course).

--
Membrane
Old July 13th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On 13 Jul, 11:27, Alex Butcher
wrote:
Cycling computer - 12.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56051.html

Rucksack - 4.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56052.html

Cooler bag - 3.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56053.html

Bought one of the latter last year; put it on the mountain bike
thinking it might be useful as a small carrier; never used it and then
had to remove it to make room for a light.

Glasses - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56054.html

Last year's seem fine; at least they keep flies out of my eyes.

Car carrier - 24.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56055.html

I'd be interested in comments on the efficacy of that carrier. I
bought one last year, anticipating using it on a car without twobar (I
already had a towbar fitted carrier); I did a test fitting to the car
--- seemed rather fiddly and maybe too many parts to forget to do
up

Child Seat - 14.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56056.html

Ceiling lift - 3.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56057.html

That looks handy -- for the garage.

Cable lock - 1.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56058.html

Gel saddle cover - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56059.html

Bought one for the mountain bike to stop my bottom hurting; useless
for me. The PITA turns out to be because of some more fundamental
geometry problem --- I can ride a road bike fine, but the mountain
bike causes pain.

Double cylinder foot pump - 2.99:http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56060.html

Have one of those; sort of okay for the car, but as someone else
reports, it tended to flex and fall apart.

Thanks for the heads-up. A few months ago Aldi had exceptionally good
value in cycling clothing; OTOH, someday my house will collapse under
the weight of Aldi and Lidl Thursday specials.

Jon C.

Old July 13th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
peter-potato

"Mark McNeill" wrote in message
Response to Alex Butcher:

Some of these (e.g. the computer), judging by archived conversations, are
bargains, others probably aren't (e.g. the lock for 1.99)

I don't recall seeing the bike lift before; it looks quite neat.

It's definitely not an Aldi bike that's suspended tho'.

Old July 13th 07, 10:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Alex Butcher wrote:
Ceiling lift - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56057.html

Serious bargain.
I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
I'll be back for some more.

They work very well indeed.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old July 14th 07, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TheMgt

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Alex Butcher wrote:
Ceiling lift - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56057.html

Serious bargain.
I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
I'll be back for some more.

They work very well indeed.

Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side against
the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so hoisting the bike
vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me any space, it just
gives me something else to crack my head on. I wondered if attaching the
hook thingies to one fork leg and a chainstay would be workable.
Old July 14th 07, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

TheMgt wrote:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Alex Butcher wrote:
Ceiling lift - 3.99:
http://uk.aldi.com/special_buys/spec...pid_56057.html

Serious bargain.
I bought two last time round for myself, and two for a friend.
I'll be back for some more.

They work very well indeed.

Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side
against the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so
hoisting the bike vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me
any space, it just gives me something else to crack my head on. I
wondered if attaching the hook thingies to one fork leg and a
chainstay would be workable.

In the interests of science, I have been to the garage to try.

Answer, very very wobbly, and I decided to stop at 6 inches off the floor.

May work with two sets of hoists lifting at four points,.
May work with one hoist set if you have a board you can place under the
bike, then lift the whole board with the hooks. If there is a cut-out in the
board to locate a crank/pedal, that should stop the bike moving around.

Alternative may be to lift the bike fairly centrally in the room, then pull
it to one side with the wheels, thus it occupies an upper corner ?

Old July 14th 07, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Colin McKenzie

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
TheMgt wrote:

Has anyone tried using one of these to store a bike on it's side
against the ceiling? I live in a low ceilinged shoebox and so
hoisting the bike vertically to the ceiling doesn't really save me
any space, it just gives me something else to crack my head on. I
wondered if attaching the hook thingies to one fork leg and a
chainstay would be workable.

In the interests of science, I have been to the garage to try.
Answer, very very wobbly, and I decided to stop at 6 inches off the floor.

May work with two sets of hoists lifting at four points,...

What about 1 hoist lifting at 4 points, e.g. via opposite ends of 2
strong coat hangers?

Or using bungy to spread the two lifting points?

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at
the population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as

Aldi specials again: reflective bands Alan J. Wylie UK 0 October 13th 06 11:07 AM
UK - Aldi Specials zippy Unicycling 8 April 15th 06 08:50 PM
Aldi winter cycling specials next week wafflycat UK 2 September 23rd 05 06:44 AM
Tchibo cycling specials coming up Helen C Simmons UK 1 February 9th 05 03:24 PM
Aldi bike specials this week Dallas G Australia 7 January 27th 05 08:55 AM