Advise on a quality pannier rack

Old December 7th 04, 09:09 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Advise on a quality pannier rack

I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell. Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and would you
rccomend it?

Ken

--
It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value.
Arthur C. Clarke

Old December 7th 04, 09:27 PM
Jim Smith

"Ken Marcet" writes:

I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell. Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and would you
rccomend it?

Tubus racks are a little expensive but very nice.

http://www.tubus.net

I have a cargo on one bike and a fly on another and I have been very
happy with them.
Old December 8th 04, 12:27 AM

Ken Marcet wrote:
I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have

been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like

they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell.

Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and

would you
rccomend it?

I've used a variety of Blackburn racks over the years with no problems-
but it's been many years since I bought one. Bell and Blackburn are the
same company- but I can't tell you if that means Blackburn's quality
has gone down or Bell's quality has gone up. Ascent, Delta, and Nashbar
are branded Taiwan-built racks, which means they might be good for your
purposes- but then again they might not. Topeak also has their racks
made in Taiwan (I think), but they're a dedicated accessory maker, so
I'd give them a little more credibility.

For really heavy-duty, U.S. made racks, try Old Man Mountain:
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/

Jeff

Old December 8th 04, 02:25 AM
mark

"Ken Marcet" wrote
I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation.

Nitto makes steel racks that are quite strong and beautifully finished. The
argument in favor of steel racks is that they are much stronger and more
durable than aluminum. The argument against steel is that a steel rack will
cost you 2-3 times what an aluminum rack will cost, weigh more, and most
people get satisfactory service from aluminum racks.

Nitto racks can be ordered by any LBS with an account at Quality Bicycle
Parts, or see them online at www.rivendellbicycles.com
--
mark

Old December 8th 04, 08:51 AM
Basjan

"Ken Marcet" wrote in message
I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell. Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and would
you
rccomend it?

I have been very happy with the price and quality of Axiom racks. I think
they are a Candadian outfit.

Basjan

Old December 8th 04, 02:06 PM

Basjan wrote:

I have been very happy with the price and quality of Axiom racks. I

think
they are a Candadian outfit.

I think they're another brand of Taiwan-made racks. Decent quality,
though.

Jeff

Old December 9th 04, 01:24 AM

I've heard great things about the Tubus, but if you want cheap, then
try the Canadian company MEC. They have aluminum racks that appear to
be knockoffs of the Blackburn design. I have one of the lowriders, and
though I haven't used it yet, it seems as well made as a Blackburn.
(I've also heard favorable reports about them on a touring list.)
They're less than $15 (U.S.):

http://tinyurl.com/3vo8c

Old December 9th 04, 04:53 AM
Wayne Clark

Ken Marcet wrote:
I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have

been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like

they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell.

Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and

would you
rccomend it?

Ken

I have used both front and rear Blackburn racks with several different
brands of panniers (first Frostline in the 70's and then Eclipse since
the 80's). I've been using the same set of racks all along and have
never had a rack failure.

I haven't used any of the other brands ... never needed to! I
definitely recommend the Blackburn.

Wayne Clark
Cary, NC

Old December 9th 04, 04:53 AM
davidd86

FWIW: I have Nitto cro-mo front and rear racks and they are unbelievably
rigid and solid compared to the alloy Blackburn type. I haven't tried it
but I imagine you could easily carry a full-grown person with no dramas.
They're basically fully rigid with the bike frame. They are slightly
heavier than the alloy racks, but only just. I would say you can't
really go wrong with 'em.

TBGibb Wrote:
In article , "Ken Marcet"

writes:

I was just wondering what brand name has a good reputation. I have

been
surfing about looking around and found several makers that look like

they
might be okay for moderate to heavy usage. The ones I have seen are
Blackburn, Topeak, Ascent, Delta, Nashbar, and least and last Bell.

Has
anyone ever used had one of these brands, and if so how was it and

would you
rccomend it?

Hollow chromoly steel makes for a very light and durable rack. Great
for
serious touring. For commuting Blackburn and the like will serve well.
Consider ones that have frame behind the center of the rack, that
prevents a
pannier from curling around and getting into the spokes. The high
quality
racks all seem to have this, like Bruce Gordon, and Tubus. Fender stays
will
probably also serve to keep the panniers out of the back wheel.

Tom Gibb

--
davidd86

Old December 9th 04, 08:02 PM
cyccommute

Nitto makes steel racks that are quite strong and beautifully
finished.

But they're ugly! I mean "you have to hang a pork chop around their
neck to get the dog to play them" ugly!

Personally, I think the Tubus Tara is one of the most beautiful racks
I've ever seen. The Fly and Luna are also quite fetching. But then
maybe I've been hanging out with my bike a bit too much.
Stuart Black
Sick bicycle lover