A Tale of Two Cities and FedEx

Old March 27th 21, 12:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default A Tale of Two Cities and FedEx

On Sat, 27 Mar 2021 06:11:25 +0700, John B.
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 07:25:16 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 26 Mar 2021 15:54:14 +0700, John B.
wrote:

But that is thievery.

Yes, but in this case, it would be stealing from myself. There's a
bit of a tangle surrounding the ownership of the repeater, repeater
building, and service company, but basically, they're all the same
company. The law says that I'm required to "offer" the old parts to
the customer. So, what should I do? Offer the dead tubes to myself?
If I were working on equipment that belongs to a different customer,
you would be correct. I even had a required section on the invoice
for dealing with defective parts. However, there's nothing for
working on the company's own equipment.

You go somewhere and replace a tube, tire, light
bulb, bicycle wheel, whatever. the old part belongs to the owner of
the device being repaired :-)

True. However, the only responsibility is for the service shop or LBS
to "offer" the dead part to the customer in advance. If they don't
want it, it goes into the trash. For example, for auto repair:
https://www.sanmateocourt.org/court_divisions/small_claims/your_rights.php
3. RETURN OF REPLACED PARTS, IF REQUESTED AT THE
TIME A WORK ORDER IS PLACED.

Ah, but you stated that your man removed tubes and then returned to
the shop to test them which assumes that you might then return tubes
that test O.K. to your inventory.

Maybe, except your order and sequence is wrong. He returned them to
inventory before testing them, which was the problem.

Which is, in a sense, fraud as it
appears that you might in some cases remove a tube, test it as
serviceable and then use it to replace a possibly faulty tube at a
later date and undoubtedly then bill the client for the tube.

The way a tube tester works is if it says the tube is bad, it's bad.
However, if it says the tube is good, it could still be bad, usually
in some manner that the tube testers of the day were unable to test.
Whether they were good or bad had not effect on the billing because
the tubes belonged to the service shop and therefore there was no
invoicing involved. The law requiring repair shopts to offer
returning defective parts was created because of deceptive practices
involving "core charges". There was a common belief that TV
servicemen performed un-necessary tube replacements. Returning the
original tube to the customer allowed the customer to retest the tube
and complain that there was nothing wrong with the original tube. That
was probably not true since the customers tube tester could not
reliably determine if the tube was good. It could only reliably
determine if it was bad. It was a bad law that failed to accomplish
anything useful for anyone.

(More fun then futzing about with the meaning of words :-)

Futzing? That's Yiddish for arumfartzen which literally means
"farting around".
https://www.dictionary.com/browse/futz--around
It might be fun, but is this really a problem worth solving?

What did I do Friday nights before I discovered R.B.T.?

--
Jeff Liebermann
PO Box 272
Old March 27th 21, 12:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

My younger brother once had a job as a "tube tester". When he went to
collage he sort of went wild - girls, booze, etc. - and the collage
kicked him out. My father (who as I grew older seemed to gain in
wisdom) said, "Well lad, you are out of collage and on your own, your
mother and I will be closing the house and going to Florida for the
winter so you probably need to find a job". So he went to Boston and
the only job he could find was a "Tube tester" for a large radio and
TC shop.

When spring came he went "on bended knee" to the collage and pleaded
for re-admission. I guess even school was better then 8 hours a day
testing tubes :-)

The end of the story has that, some years later, my young brother
receiving a Master's Degree :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

a tale of 2 ads lowkey General 25 October 18th 05 08:39 PM
Another Bird Tale hemyd Australia 4 December 5th 04 03:33 AM
Tale of wet feet DaveB Australia 11 November 11th 04 03:56 AM
just a funny tale Torgo Australia 0 September 6th 04 03:54 AM
A Tale of Two Septembers Don't do it General 4 September 12th 03 02:00 PM