"But I was indicating!"

Old August 26th 08, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BigRab

Default "But I was indicating!"

Just ask yourself, "Would she have behaved the same way towards a
Police cyclist?". I'd bet a whole lot that she wouldn't.
Old August 26th 08, 08:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
JNugent tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

But going round recording the daily business of others in public
places on videotape with a view to picking fights is *very* abnormal.

It's no different from the Old Bill using CCTV.

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old August 26th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"JNugent" wrote in message

But he shouts abuse at her, and it is absolutely unnecessary. As for the
"short burst of horn" - why not just slow down - and be prepared to stop
if necessary?

The horn use was entirely proper - "I'm here".

If he'd just slowed down and stopped, the driver would have almost certainly
been utterly unaware of what they did wrong. This is bad, because it means
they might do it again.

Shouting reinforces the message. It's pretty minor "abuse"- it's less than
many riders get just for riding along the road. He doesn't do it in a manner
likely to be percieved as an assault, because he's clearly moving on while
he shouts.

Old August 26th 08, 10:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"JNugent" wrote in message

Actually, that's none of your business, or of his, unless he is a police
officer.

There is a role for the community to play in setting the bounds of what is
acceptable behaviour. The cyclist is part of that community.

"Citizens arrest" is an example of how that role may be enacted - presumably
you're not denying that such a concept exists, and aren't arguing that it
should never be used?

It's important that the community does play their part, otherwise people
don't discover what is unacceptable until too late.

If he'd crossed the line into vigilantism, then you might have a point, but
he didn't - his behaviour was actually pretty calm and non-threatening.

Old August 26th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"JNugent" wrote in message

He didn't create the drama, that's true. He merely created a potential
crisis out of it by not reacting properly (ie, slowing down or stopping).

Have you actually seen the video in question? How can you possibly claim he
didn't slow down?

Old August 26th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

BigRab wrote:

Just ask yourself, "Would she have behaved the same way towards a
Police cyclist?". I'd bet a whole lot that she wouldn't.

But why bother asking yourself that?

AFAICS, nobody has defended the driver.
Old August 26th 08, 07:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Dave Larrington wrote:

JNugent tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:

But going round recording the daily business of others in public
places on videotape with a view to picking fights is *very* abnormal.

It's no different from the Old Bill using CCTV.

I can think of one difference.

With the police, it's not an obssessive personal choice.
Old August 26th 08, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Clive George wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:

But he shouts abuse at her, and it is absolutely unnecessary. As for the
"short burst of horn" - why not just slow down - and be prepared to stop
if necessary?

The horn use was entirely proper - "I'm here".

Sounding the hooter was the least of his failings.

If he'd just slowed down and stopped, the driver would have almost certainly
been utterly unaware of what they did wrong. This is bad, because it means
they might do it again.

Oh, was the cyclist a police officer?

He didn't mention that.

Shouting reinforces the message. It's pretty minor "abuse"- it's less than
many riders get just for riding along the road. He doesn't do it in a manner
likely to be percieved as an assault, because he's clearly moving on while
he shouts.

There was more than one message given by the shouted abuse.
Old August 26th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Clive George wrote:

"JNugent" wrote:

Actually, that's none of your business, or of his, unless he is a police
officer.

There is a role for the community to play in setting the bounds of what is
acceptable behaviour. The cyclist is part of that community.

So is absolutely everybody.

Does that mean it's OK for some other member of the community - perhaps
a community member who takes a rather dim view of cyclists - to deliver
"other messages" to the cyclist? Or is that completely different?

"Citizens arrest" is an example of how that role may be enacted - presumably
you're not denying that such a concept exists, and aren't arguing that it
should never be used?

Don't try it at home unless the "offence" is indictable and (preferably)
actually witnessed by the arresting citizen.

It's important that the community does play their part, otherwise people
don't discover what is unacceptable until too late.

Not by the farthest stretch of the most vivid imagination was that
cyclist "the community". He acted alone. The rest of us were not on the
grassy knoll.

I suggest that "the community", taken as a whole, is unlikely to agree
that screaming at female strangers in the street is a reasonable way to
reinforce community values. I accept that others may think that it is.
Old August 26th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Clive George wrote:
"JNugent" wrote in message

He didn't create the drama, that's true. He merely created a potential
crisis out of it by not reacting properly (ie, slowing down or stopping).

Have you actually seen the video in question? How can you possibly claim he
didn't slow down?

Of course I've seen it. He didn't slow down enough, given the situation,
It woukld have been better again to stop. I would stop in my car in that
situation - wouldn't you?