Taxi drivers to block traffic in London.

Old June 4th 10, 08:24 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Adrian

Default Taxi drivers to block traffic in London.

Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Because motorists infest uk.rec.cycling, though goodness knows why.

Have you considered posting to uk.rec.cycling.moderated instead? All
those nasty cross-posted threads to the car groups filtered out to
protect your delicate sensibilities.

checks group
On my server, currently 10,000 message headers.
Posted by you? Not one single post in one single thread.

On my server, uk.rec.driving currently has 25,000 message headers.
Posted by you? 322 posts in 40 threads - 32 of which YOU STARTED.

Ah, yes, that'll be why you don't post to uk.rec.cycling.moderated -
because it's not that you want a cycling group "uninfested" - it's
because you're a little ****-stirring hypocritical liar.
Old June 4th 10, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NM

On 3 June, 17:43, "GT" wrote:
"bugbear" wrote in message

o.uk...

Doug wrote:
On 3 June, 14:48, Dave Plowman wrote:
In article
,
* *Doug wrote:

Maybe you will understand how CM works someday, when you decide to
crawl out of you hierarchical cesspit and escape your conditioning at
last, you and all the others here.
Right. You're the only sane one here? Gawd help us...

No I seem to be the only non-motorist here

Only by your own definitions.

To all the people who drive cars out there; Doug
is speaking only for himself; he's no speaking
for cyclists.

He's certainly not speaking for CM.

He's also the only non-motorist in a motorists newsgroup with anti-motorist
opinions and wonders why nobody likes him in here!

I like him, he has made me laugh on many occasions.
Old June 4th 10, 09:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
NM

On 4 June, 08:13, Doug wrote:

The place was decided many years ago, probably by a 'consensus' of
anarchists.

Can such a thing happen? If initially they were anarchists the moment
there was consensus they would cease to be anarchists and become the
founding commitee of critical mass.

Old June 4th 10, 10:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Dave Plowman

In article ,
Adrian wrote:
Ah, yes, that'll be why you don't post to uk.rec.cycling.moderated -
because it's not that you want a cycling group "uninfested" - it's
because you're a little ****-stirring hypocritical liar.

Don't be shy Adrian - say what you mean. ;-)

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12

Old June 4th 10, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

Doug wrote:
On 3 June, 19:16, Dave Plowman wrote:
In article
,

Doug wrote:
Maybe you will understand how CM works someday, when you decide to
crawl out of you hierarchical cesspit and escape your conditioning at
last, you and all the others here.
Right. You're the only sane one here? Gawd help us...
No I seem to be the only non-motorist here and who actually takes part
in CM.

If you're a non motorist, why are you posting to uk.rec.driving? Given you
seem to hate all things non bicycle.

Because motorists infest uk.rec.cycling, though goodness knows why.

Possibly because idiots keep cross-posting?

BugBear
Old June 4th 10, 10:57 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
GT

"Doug" wrote in message
On 3 June, 18:12, Adrian wrote:
Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Maybe you will understand how CM works someday, when
the current meet point becomes unavailable, and you need to decide
where to meet...
How, why would it become unavailable

Given that the meeting point is on the South Bank, outside the NFT - and
large swathes of the South Bank have been under redevelopment lately, I'd
have thought it fairly obvious why it might become unavailable.

Only temporarily if at all since it is part of a national trail for
walkers and cyclists and blocking it would meet with a great deal of
opposition quite apart from CM.

Why are you only concerned about blocking walkers and cyclists. Why exactly
is it OK to block other public roads and be met with a great deal of
opposition?

Old June 4th 10, 06:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Tony Dragon

Doug wrote:
On 3 June, 23:27, Tony Dragon wrote:
Doug wrote:
On 3 June, 09:33, "Brimstone" wrote:
"Adrian" wrote in message
Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:
So how, in terms of effect, does this differ from Critical Mass?
Apart from them having announced the route they'll follow, and having
liased with the police, you mean?
They were not a customarily held procession in law like London CM. That
is why a route and liaising was required.
ITYF that - for those people inconvenienced by CM's lack of a published
route and thereby forewarning of where to avoid - that's a rather moot
distinction. But, of course, you don't actually give a flying **** about
other people actually trying to get about their business, do you?
The main point of course was that those taxi drivers, and many other
demos and processions which occur in London, cause traffic hold-ups,
just like CM, but are seldom lambasted here as much as CM.
Probably because their aim is rather different - to raise awareness of a
particular issue, rather than to just inconvenience as many of "the
enemy" as possible. Oh, yes - and it's a one-off rather than a regular
event with no trigger more tangible than "We feel like it".
So, it would appear that the taxi drivers were empowered by police
present to go through red lights
Correct.
Of course, because CM has no organisers
So how do people turn up in the right place at the right time every
month? How does the publicity get produced? Who represented CM at the
legal hearings?
there was nobody to liaise with police anyway.
Don't be so lame, Duhg. It'd be the work of minutes for a representative
to be chosen.
Less than minutes, Doug would volunteer for the job.
You are implying that there is somehow a committee which can
legitimise a representative, which there is not. True, people from
time to time have sought to represent, aka takeover, CM without any
consensus permission but they haven't lasted very long.
Maybe you will understand how CM works someday, when you decide to
crawl out of you hierarchical cesspit and escape your conditioning at
last, you and all the others here.
--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk

It is amazing the a group of people that have no organization, can all
meet at the same time at the same place & have a web site.
This non-organization managed to be so non-organized that they took a
case to the Law Lords.
I wonder how well they could do if they were organized.

You may learn how it works given enough time. I know it is difficult
for those dominated by lifelong hierarchies to understand.

The place was decided many years ago, probably by a 'consensus' of
anarchists. The website/s have been implemented by individual
volunteers, there used to be three websites, and they are always open
to criticism from other individuals and only represent the views and
practices of an individual webmaster anyway. The appeal taken to the
Law Lords was spontaneously implemented by an individual who had the
legal backing of Friends of the Earth, none of which was debated among
CMers as far as I am aware.

Indeed I myself would have preferred CM not not have been deemed in
law to be a procession and instead have been treated as just a bike
ride which happens to attract a large number of participants like CMs
are in other parts of the world, but as there are no organisers there
is little I can do about that, apart from me personally taking it to
an EU court to overturn the Law Lords which I am not inclined to do.
Anyway, each CM participant treats CM according to their own personal
opinions and that is the way it is.

Get it?

--
Critical Mass London
http://www.criticalmasslondon.org.uk
"Its just a bike ride!"

Errr, no, but then I think in a logical way.

--
Tony Dragon
Old June 5th 10, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_4_]

Zimmy wrote:

"Adrian" wrote in message
Doug gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

Happening this afternoon and mentioned on BBC London TV.

So how, in terms of effect, does this differ from Critical Mass?

Apart from them having announced the route they'll follow, and having
liased with the police, you mean?

I noticed that one of their demands is "Allow black cab drivers to stop
to use toilets"
WTF? Does someone prevent them from going to the toilet?

Double yellow lines?
Old June 5th 10, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_4_]

d wrote:
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 10:24:49 +0100
Dave Plowman wrote:
In article ,
Zimmy wrote:

"Doug" wrote in message
Happening this afternoon and mentioned on BBC London TV.

So how, in terms of effect, does this differ from Critical Mass?
It doesn't, it'll be just as annoying, especially if you get stuck in
the jam. Do you think that Taxi drivers are somehow popular amongst
other drivers?

When a cab has a fare, everyone else gets in their way. When they're
looking for a fare they get in everyone else's way.

When a black cab is picking up a fare it seems the rules of the road no longer
apply. They do u-turns anywhere , stop anywhere including halfway across
junctions, in the middle of the road with traffic behind, you name it. It
might only be a minority or them who are crap drivers but its a significant
minority.

What is "crap" about doing U-turns in such a situation? Should the driver
take the passenger on past his destination to the next roundabout or other
opportunity to turn? Shoud he routinely refuse to stop for people on the
other side of the road who want to go in the opposite direction to the
direction of current travel?

The Home Office regulations demand that a taxi MUST be able to turn inside
kerbs no more than 24' apart. If a vehicle can't manage that, it can't be
licensed as a taxi.

Why is that, do you suppose?
Old June 5th 10, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
JNugent[_4_]

Dave Plowman wrote:
In article OtpNn.28301$Az1.13535@hurricane,
Mrcheerful wrote:
I noticed that one of their demands is "Allow black cab drivers to
stop to use toilets" WTF? Does someone prevent them from going to the
toilet?

it can cost many pounds to pay to park while you use a public loo, which
are few and far in London

What do bus drivers do? Seems to me they have more of a problem than taxis.

Why?

They have authorised standing-places at each end of the route, and garages
designed to cater for their needs.

Horse riders block traffic Doug[_3_] UK 8 December 16th 09 09:37 AM
Broomhilda and Anorexic Drew Carey Are Now Taxi Drivers.... MagillaGorilla[_2_] Racing 0 November 28th 09 06:01 PM
CM ties up traffic, beats drivers, slashing their tires with knives Blackie Social Issues 12 April 27th 05 06:41 PM
Taxi drivers Chris Wheeler UK 52 March 23rd 05 11:03 AM
London Taxi Attempted Assault Jon Senior UK 114 July 20th 04 10:09 AM