Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR

Old October 27th 05, 09:05 AM
sothach

Default Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR

All that talk of punctures and I got my first one in 18 months...
Classic nail through the tyre, no big deal, but the thin sidewalls
ripped in the seconds before I released I had a flat. The tyre was a
Panaracer Tourguard rigid (26x1.75), and was fairly worn, so I can't
really blame the tyre, it has given good service. But I thought I
might try one of these Schwalbes, Marathon Plus sounds like the one for
commuting, but I was wondering that what with the snow and rain to
come, the XP (expedition) tyre might be worth trying? Anyone tried
this?

Old October 27th 05, 09:58 AM
Peter Clinch

sothach wrote:

might try one of these Schwalbes, Marathon Plus sounds like the one for
commuting, but I was wondering that what with the snow and rain to
come, the XP (expedition) tyre might be worth trying? Anyone tried
this?

No, but tread makes no difference on the road in the rain (cycle tyres
have too small a contact patch to allow pressure reduction to the point
of aquaplaning), and with snow one has to ask (a) how often will you be
riding on snow? and (b) if (a) is quite a bit then proper studded tyres
may well do you better.

I would guess the XR is better suited than the rest of the line to
reasonably good but not formally paved surfaces, so somewhere between a
road tyre and a full-on knobbly, in other words. But not much obvious
point for UK commuting on roads.

However, back to the Marathon Plus saga, it looks like there /are/ more
sizes for 559 rims... On the UK site there's a load of M+ without full
specs at the bottom of the list: either they weren't there yesterday or
I didn't notice them, but with no proper spec are they 559? Don't know,
but at the generic English site I found...
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?ber...31&details=336
which is probably exactly what Peewiglet would want. Who knows if it's
available here?

Beyond that, the basic Marathon is pretty good unless you're riding in
extreme puncture-unfriendly zones, like hedge clippings. The only
things that have ever got through mine are long delta shaped glass
slivers, and I've had less than one a year since I've been using them
(both on the Brom and the tourer)

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old October 27th 05, 11:00 AM
David Martin

Peter Clinch wrote:
sothach wrote:

might try one of these Schwalbes, Marathon Plus sounds like the one for
commuting, but I was wondering that what with the snow and rain to
come, the XP (expedition) tyre might be worth trying? Anyone tried
this?

No, but tread makes no difference on the road in the rain (cycle tyres
have too small a contact patch to allow pressure reduction to the point
of aquaplaning), and with snow one has to ask (a) how often will you be
riding on snow? and (b) if (a) is quite a bit then proper studded tyres
may well do you better.

Ordinary knobblies will be a) cheaper and b) legal and c) work just as
well as studded tyres on wet snow. Better in some cases depending on
the tread on the studded tyre. Studs really come into their own on ice
(verglas/black ice or sheet ice). Loose or packed snow that is soft
enough to leave a tread mark will be just as good with knobblies.

...d

Old October 27th 05, 02:22 PM
Phil Cook

Peter Clinch wrote:

sothach wrote:

[...]

Yes there are two 26" sizes down there
11130348 MARATHON PLUS - Reflex 26x 1.35 SmartGuard
11141348 MARATHON PLUS - Reflex 26 x 1 5/8 SmartGuard

If they are folowing convention then the 26x1.35 ought to be a 559 and
the 26x1 5/8 a 590.

but at the generic English site I found...
http://www.schwalbe.com/index.pl?ber...31&details=336
which is probably exactly what Peewiglet would want. Who knows if it's
available here?

Well it says: Article number:: 11130348 so that is the same
as the 26x1.35 and is a 35-559, which as you say is exactly what
Peewiglet wants.
Old October 29th 05, 05:13 PM
Wichita

Beware knobblies in the wet on manhole covers and white lines.

Agree ordinary Marathons pretty good for everything on road except
thorn-hedge clippings and needle slivers of glass or flint (and probably
better than most other tyres even for them)..

Cheers
Old October 29th 05, 06:12 PM
Call me Bob

On Sat, 29 Oct 2005 17:13:41 +0100, Wichita
wrote:

Beware knobblies in the wet on manhole covers and white lines.

Beware *any* tyre on wet steel manhole covers. Even the grippiest of
slicks can dump you on your arse if you have any kind of lean on when
crossing a wet metal cover.

"Bob"

Old October 29th 05, 07:15 PM
the.Mark

wrote:

Beware knobblies in the wet on manhole covers and white lines.

Beware *any* tyre on wet steel manhole covers. Even the
grippiest of slicks can dump you on your arse if you have any
kind of lean on when crossing a wet metal cover.

"Bob"

Watch out for wet white lines too, I've come off while crossing them
with slicks.
--
the.Mark