Any Lightweight Metal Mudguards??

Old November 11th 06, 01:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
philcycles

Default Any Lightweight Metal Mudguards??

landotter wrote:

They do and I've had a set of the really light aluminum ones. After a
few years of real use, they look like crumpled cans. If I had the dough
and the initiative, I'd get some hammered Honjo ones. Not available in
26, AFAIK.

They must be because I've got a pair in the closet.
Phil Brown

Old November 11th 06, 02:51 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

philcycles wrote:
landotter wrote:

They do and I've had a set of the really light aluminum ones. After a
few years of real use, they look like crumpled cans. If I had the dough
and the initiative, I'd get some hammered Honjo ones. Not available in
26, AFAIK.

They must be because I've got a pair in the closet.
Phil Brown

D'oh, didn't scroll to the end of the page:
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html

$57, very fair considering the quality.

Though, what's the deal with mounting hardware, is anything included
short of struts?

Old November 11th 06, 04:09 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tim McNamara

In article .com,
"landotter" wrote:

philcycles wrote:
landotter wrote:

They do and I've had a set of the really light aluminum ones.
After a few years of real use, they look like crumpled cans. If I
had the dough and the initiative, I'd get some hammered Honjo
ones. Not available in 26, AFAIK.

They must be because I've got a pair in the closet. Phil Brown

D'oh, didn't scroll to the end of the page:
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html

$57, very fair considering the quality.

Though, what's the deal with mounting hardware, is anything included
short of struts?

The fender price is just the fenders. You buy the struts, eyebolts, etc
separately. And given the Japanese names it's a little confusing.

You can also order them from Jim at Hiawatha Cyclery in Minneapolis.
He's a good guy that I have done a lot of business with. Just tell him
you need to full set

http://www.hiawathacyclery.com
Old November 11th 06, 04:16 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Grolch

"landotter" wrote in message
oups.com...

philcycles wrote:
landotter wrote:

They do and I've had a set of the really light aluminum ones. After a
few years of real use, they look like crumpled cans. If I had the dough
and the initiative, I'd get some hammered Honjo ones. Not available in
26, AFAIK.

They must be because I've got a pair in the closet.
Phil Brown

D'oh, didn't scroll to the end of the page:
http://www.jitensha.com/eng/fndrs_e.html

$57, very fair considering the quality.

Though, what's the deal with mounting hardware, is anything included
short of struts?

Looks like the mounting kit is about $70.00. Too bad they don't make them
for my trike. I've got the PlanetBike set on mine and they're cracked and
repaired. I don't like them. Maybe they could do a custom order for 18" and
20" sets. The planet bike set costs me nearly $100.00 from Catrike, I'd pay
twice that for these.

Grolsch

Old November 11th 06, 06:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

NYC XYZ wrote:
Plastic ones suck...they just crack. I think a metal one, say made
out of sufficiently strong aluminium, will be rugged for any stones
and twigs which wind up getting caught. So which ones for a 26"
wheel, please? I'm assuming such a thing exists. I have the HP Velo
SMGTe SWB, and the rear guard has cracked. Why don't they make these
things out of light-weight metal?? Copper costs pennies, I'm sure....

Good "plastic" mudguards like SKS's are actually aluminium sandwich, with
metal for the filling and plastic for the bread. It's known as
chromoplastic. I did have one of this type crack (Raleigh) - but only after
ten years of hard use and abuse.

To help deal with nasty stuff that gets caught, front SKS guards also have a
break-away feature instead of being strongly fixed to the fork eyes.

Mudguards made entirely of metal are very noisy, by the way.

~PB

Old November 11th 06, 01:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Banned

NYC XYZ wrote:
Plastic ones suck...they just crack. I think a metal one, say made out
of sufficiently strong aluminium, will be rugged for any stones and
twigs which wind up getting caught. So which ones for a 26" wheel,
please? I'm assuming such a thing exists. I have the HP Velo SMGTe
SWB, and the rear guard has cracked. Why don't they make these things
out of light-weight metal?? Copper costs pennies, I'm sure....

GILLES Berthoud or Honjo..'google' them to see if they make a 26 inch
size.

Old November 11th 06, 02:56 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tim McNamara

In article ,
"Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Mudguards made entirely of metal are very noisy, by the way.

There should be no rattles from properly mounted aluminum or steel
fenders (mudguards for rightpondians). "Properly mounted" means using
leather washers between the bolts mounting the fenders to the frame and
the fenders. Aluminum fenders are prone to cracking if improperly
mounted; this is less of an issue with steel fenders.

If you have to use a crimp-on hanger at the rear brake bridge (e.g.,
your frame does not have a fender boss there- and few do) then that will
be prone to rattling and something should be placed in there to damp
that.

Metal fenders will tend to be noisier when stuff is hitting them,
though. Proper mounting decreases some of that, too, but can't take
away this noise entirely.

Mounting metal fenders is more difficult than mounting plastic ones like
Esge/SKS. Very few frames sold in the US are designed for fenders- most
are designed like road racing frames. Bikes designed for fenders have
adequate clearance at the fork crown, chainstay bridge and brake bridge.
All three points are a constant distance from the axle center on bikes
designed for fenders (about 35.5 cm for a 700C wheel) to allow clearance
for a 28 mm tire with about an 8 mm gap between the tire and fender.
That'll be a no-go on your Trek Madone, but even 'cross bikes can be
problematic for mounting fenders. Such a simple thing, but few bike
makers even think about it.
Old November 11th 06, 05:49 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Pete Biggs

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
"Pete Biggs"
wrote:

Mudguards made entirely of metal are very noisy, by the way.

There should be no rattles from properly mounted aluminum or steel
fenders (mudguards for rightpondians). "Properly mounted" means using
leather washers between the bolts mounting the fenders to the frame
and the fenders. Aluminum fenders are prone to cracking if improperly
mounted; this is less of an issue with steel fenders.

If you have to use a crimp-on hanger at the rear brake bridge (e.g.,
your frame does not have a fender boss there- and few do) then that
will be prone to rattling and something should be placed in there to
damp that.

Metal fenders will tend to be noisier when stuff is hitting them,
though. Proper mounting decreases some of that, too, but can't take
away this noise entirely.

That's what I was mainly thinking of. Every particle of gravel makes a loud
noise. Leaving a large amount of clearance helps but that's not always
possible or desirable for good protection.

~PB

Old November 11th 06, 06:15 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
nash

If you are in Vancouver and you ride a recumbent the best place for those
owners is Cambie Cycles. The owner has been a recumbent rider forever if he
is still there.

Cheers

Old November 11th 06, 11:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.marketplace,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
NYC XYZ

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

GILLES Berthoud or Honjo..'google' them to see if they make a 26 inch
size.

Thing is, no one knows whether they go with the HP Velo SMGTe, and it
seems there's no return policy either....

Any Lightweight Metal Mudguards?? NYC XYZ General 25 November 15th 06 05:35 PM
Any Lightweight Metal Mudguards?? NYC XYZ Techniques 25 November 15th 06 05:35 PM
New mudguards Budstaff UK 8 March 29th 06 06:39 PM
Mudguards anjuna UK 6 January 18th 06 02:28 AM
mudguards anjuna UK 46 January 15th 06 10:46 AM