a question from a newbie

Old December 13th 04, 01:38 PM
James Noll

Default a question from a newbie

I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a
"Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".

Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
them.

Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?

Thank you for helping a newbis...

James

Old December 13th 04, 01:59 PM
David Kerber

In article ,
says...
I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true? I am considering a

You will probably find that the clothes make riding more comfortable
(and therefore more fun), but they're not required.

"Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".

Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
them.

They are a well-known and -respected bike brand, just as much so as
Trek, Fuji, Specialized, and many others.

Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?

Fuji has some nice entry-level road bikes in the $400 to $800 range.
Which one you want really depends on how, where, and how much you ride.
Ask your dealer about the League, Ace, Finest, and Touring models, and
have him/her explain the difference, or go to their web site to get some
basic information. Personally I would not recommend the League, because
it has the shifters on the downtube rather than integrated into the
brake levers, but it is the least expensive of those models and some
people like downtube shifters, so you might want to consider it. I have
a 2003 Fuji Touring which I love, but there are lots of great bikes out
there, so take your time and figure out which one is best for you.

Thank you for helping a newbis...

Welcome to the sport!

newsgroups if possible).
Old December 13th 04, 04:20 PM
Mike Kruger

Tim McNamara wrote:
"James Noll" writes:

I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a

form of
excercise and recreation. I was told by a friend that is

really into
cycling that in order to really get a good bike, you need

to spend
just over $1000 with special seat and clothing and shoes,

etc. Is
this true?

Good grief NO! Not only are there many good new bikes

available for
less than this, you can get a used bike for a whole lot

less than
this. Used bikes are a pretty safe buy as there's not

much that can
be hidden about their condition. Of the five bikes I have

now, one
was bought new- the others I bought used and got excellent

value for
my money. I would not recommend buying one at a garage

sale or
consignment store unless you know what you are looking at

and how to
fix them. A lot of bike shops sell used bikes that they

have tuned
up.

I'm no expert, although 5 of my 7 bikes were bought used.
The major problem Jim (the OP) will have is that he will
need to find a knowledgeable friend so he can avoid some
common pitfalls:

1. Steel rims
2. Frame damage, or parts frozen together (e.g.
crossthreaded pedal, or handlebars that can no longer be
raised.
3. Bad fit
(etc.)

Most bike shops around here don't carry used bikes -- not
worth the trouble.

--
Mike Kruger
"So class, who can tell me how much of our genetic code we

Old December 13th 04, 04:32 PM
Chuck Anderson

James Noll wrote:

I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000

I haven't bought or priced a bike in a long time, but this seems high to me.

with special seat

My "special" seat cost me 39.99 at Performance (Forte Classic). I have
absolutely no complaints (that means it's a good seat - at least for me).

and clothing and shoes,

Not really needed. You may want some padded shorts (save some money and
check out Performance shorts), but I've been wearing my cotton hiking
shorts and t-shirts for years and years. (I've switched to bib knickers
- padded cycling knickers - for winter. I got the cheap brand (see
above) and I am very happy with them.)

I've always worn plain "sneakers" (I now wear Teva sandals in warmer -
not winter - weather) and I use clips and straps (cheap). No shoes or
"pedal system" is needed. You can always put these things off and add on
later if you feel the need.

etc. Is this true? I am considering a "Road Bike"

Bent over in drop handlebars.

or perhaps a "Hybrid".

More upright with straight bars.

That's a very basic choice you need to make.

I've come to prefer the hybrid route, but that's a matter of personal
choice.

You can spend a lot of money trying to make the bike lightweight -
shedding a pound or two - but I've always felt it more cost efficient to
just shed those pounds off myself.

Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
them.

That's a fine brand of bike

Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?

Buy it from a reputable shop and you'll have an efficient, enjoyable bike.

Thank you for helping a newbis...

Latin? τΏΤ¬

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO
Old December 13th 04, 05:49 PM
Olebiker

Giant builds a good bike for the money. Figure about $600 for a Giant
OCR3, $25 each for a jersey, shorts, and gloves from Performance, $75
for shoes, $75 for a good helmet, another $100 for pumps, seat bag,
spare tubes, and tire levers. You're pretty close to $1,000. Don't
buy a new saddle until you have tried the one that comes on the Giant.

With this bike or a Trek 1000 you will be able to ride with anyone and
not be limited by your equipment. It's amazing how much bike you get
for the money these days.

Dick Durbin

Old December 13th 04, 06:17 PM
no spam

In article ,
James Noll wrote:
I am getting interested in getting back to bicycling as a form of excercise
and recreation. I was told by a friend that is really into cycling that in
order to really get a good bike, you need to spend just over $1000 with
special seat and clothing and shoes, etc. Is this true?

You can get some very nice used bikes for around $200. Add another
$200 for a basic helmet, gloves, shoes, and basic cycling clothing.
You don't need a special seat unless you have fit problems.

Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never heard of
them.
Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge investment, yet
have features that make biking enjoyable, yet efficient?

The 4 most popular brands of bikes in the USA are Trek, Giant, Specialized,
and Cannondale. For efficiency, get a bike with lightweight narrow tires.
Buy from a good shop that can size and fit the bike to you.
Old December 13th 04, 09:20 PM
Tim McNamara

"James Noll" writes:

[...]

As for clothing, I think cycling shorts are good for comfort. You can
put a pair of regular shorts over those if you like. The rest of the
clothing can be what you normally wear. At our club ride a couple of
Saturdays ago, we had a guy turn up with cargo shorts, a sweater,
running shoes on his commuting bike. He had no trouble going over 40
miles on that bike and seemed to be having a lot of fun.

I am considering a "Road Bike" or perhaps a "Hybrid".

Secondly, he told me that Giant is a good brand bike. I have never
heard of them.

Giant is a Taiwanese brand and is the largest manufacturer of bikes in
the world. "Giant" is their own label, but they build bikes to
specification for Trek and many other labels. If the bike says "made
in Taiwan" somewhere on the frame, it was probably made by Giant no
matter whose sticker is on the down tube.

Thirdly, what are some bike brands that dont require a huge
investment, yet have features that make biking enjoyable, yet
efficient?

The bike that you are most confortable on is going to be the most
efficient for you, so try lots of bikes. For me that's a road bike,
but for you it might be something else.
Old December 13th 04, 09:22 PM
Tim McNamara

"Olebiker" writes:

It's amazing how much bike you get for the money these days.

Yeah. "Cheap" bikes are much better than they used to be, although
department store bikes are still mostly crap.
Old December 14th 04, 12:44 AM
Claire Petersky

"Olebiker" wrote in message
oups.com...
$75 for a good helmet,

FWIW, the Giro Torrent is a great helmet (well, it fits my noggin), and its
price is $25. See:
http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...8&SRCCODE=2047. If
you're just going with a helmet with the basic certifications -- all the
ones you're going to find at a bike shop are going to qualify. Don't pay
more unless it makes you significantly more comfortable.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
Home of the meditative cyclist:

Newbie question about tubes and tyres Andy UK 6 July 8th 04 09:05 PM
Newbie question The Old Fogey UK 4 April 28th 04 06:07 PM
Stupid Newbie Question ? Flak Monkey UK 1 January 12th 04 08:07 PM
newbie question re shifting Richard Stanz General 1 October 13th 03 12:05 AM
Stupid newbie question about lightening bike *John* Mountain Biking 14 September 19th 03 03:39 PM