Is listening to a radio while cycling illegal?

Old July 24th 03, 10:35 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Default Is listening to a radio while cycling illegal?

"Lee" wrote in message

Im just about to get kitted up so i can cycle to work but I wanted to

listen
to the radio whilst cycling.
Is this legal?

Yes, legal but not very sensible.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Old July 24th 03, 10:50 AM
Dave

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"Lee" wrote in message

Im just about to get kitted up so i can cycle to work but I wanted to

listen
to the radio whilst cycling.
Is this legal?

Yes, legal but not very sensible.

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.com

Agree with Guy.....I reckon at least 30% of my personal protection system is
subconciously listening to what's going on out of view, i.e. behind me,
round the corner etcetc. As much as I love music and listen to the
radio/tape in the mdgh, I would never listen to anything whilst on my bike.
Dave.

Old July 24th 03, 11:04 AM
wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX

Yes, legal but not very sensible.

I completely agree. Whilst cycling my ears are used to detect traffic -
especially stuff coming up behind me (ooher missus...) or stuff at junctions
where the junction has poor visibility.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
This is sent from a redundant email
Mail sent to it is dumped
My correct one can be gleaned from
h$**$*$el$**e$n$**$d$**$o$*$t**$$s$**$im$mo$ns*@a$ **o$l.c$$*o$*m*$
by getting rid of the overdependence on money and fame
~~~~~~~~~~
Old July 24th 03, 11:08 AM
Lee

"Lee" wrote in message

Agree with Guy.....I reckon at least 30% of my personal protection system

is
subconciously listening to what's going on out of view, i.e. behind me,
round the corner etcetc. As much as I love music and listen to the
radio/tape in the mdgh, I would never listen to anything whilst on my

bike.
Dave.

Yeah i guess u are right, the path i will be taking into work is all cycle
paths tho so we shall see how i get on.

Thanks for the swift response guys.

Old July 24th 03, 11:38 AM
Adrian Boliston

"wafflyDIRTYcatLITTERhcsBOX" wrote in message

I completely agree. Whilst cycling my ears are used to detect traffic -
especially stuff coming up behind me..

That's why i hate those long busses with the engine at the rear, when the loom up
next to your right shoulder with no audible warning at all.

Old July 24th 03, 11:43 AM
Simon Mason

"Lee" wrote in message
Hi there,

Im just about to get kitted up so i can cycle to work but I wanted to

listen
to the radio whilst cycling.

Is this legal? I have a little pocket radio and headphones - provided it

is
secure surely there is no problem?

I have mine on every time I go out - if I didn't, I would never commute to
work at all -it would be too boring. I prefer not to put too much emphasis
on aural clues anyway, I rely mainly on sight.

In fact, if you look at the antics of pavement lemmings, you can easily see
where relying too much on sound leads you. Dozens of peds, who since they
can't hear a motor, will walk out into the road directly in front of you
without looking.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby

Old July 24th 03, 12:28 PM
Lee

"Simon Mason" wrote in message

I have mine on every time I go out - if I didn't, I would never commute

work at all -it would be too boring. I prefer not to put too much emphasis
on aural clues anyway, I rely mainly on sight.

In fact, if you look at the antics of pavement lemmings, you can easily

see
where relying too much on sound leads you. Dozens of peds, who since they
can't hear a motor, will walk out into the road directly in front of you
without looking.

--
Simon Mason
Anlaby
East Yorkshire.
53°44'N 0°26'W
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

my concern is that ill get bored too - just have to see how it goes i guess!

Old July 24th 03, 12:47 PM
Simon Mason

"Lee" wrote in message

my concern is that ill get bored too - just have to see how it goes i

guess!

My commute is nearly all off road anyway, so having a radio on is not much
of a hazard there and riding for nearly 2 hours, day in day out with no
radio, especially at 0530 and 2230 would be unthinkable. I find strong
headwinds much more of a detriment to my hearing than quiet speech radio
anyway.

The only times I take them out fully is when I have to cross dock lock
gates when I have to listen for the siren to tell you if they're about to
open, but since I can hear a police car's siren from half a mile way, it's
not really necessary.

If you've any doubts about your safety with earpieces in though, then don't
use them.

Old July 24th 03, 01:44 PM
Stephen \(aka steford\)

Lee wrote:
Hi there,

Im just about to get kitted up so i can cycle to work but I wanted to
listen to the radio whilst cycling.

Is this legal? I have a little pocket radio and headphones - provided
it is secure surely there is no problem?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Get a single earpiece - best of both worlds. That's what I do - no problem
hearing the radio or traffic. I too get very bored if I forget it or the
batteries go or something.