What if climate change is a big hoax and we make a better world for nothing?

Old April 7th 10, 01:18 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Don Klipstein

Default What if climate change is a big hoax and we make a better world for nothing?

On Apr 4, 8:38 am, First.Post wrote:
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 08:08:48 -0700 (PDT), "TibetanMonkey, Originator of

Exactly, I'm not Al Gore, and I'm asking you too much to leave the SUV
home and ride a bike or walk to the market. We basically gave up the
bike as a healthy option (how can it be healthy if you can get
killed), but we walk with a hand cart, some 1/2 mile to the market and
meet people and see the sun and the moon.

That is your choice. Tell a 60+ year old that uses a cane to do the same.

Since I get plenty of exercise, I expect to make it to 75 or more before
I need a cane to walk.

Tell the father and husaband with a family of 3 or 4 to hand
carry 7 or 8 sacks of groceries.

I often haul groceries by bike, occaisonally even that large a quantity
of groceries - for 4 miles!

Without a bike trailer yet! The Philadelphia Pedal Co-Op does
spectacularly more - hauling 3 55-gallon trashcans of recyclable trash at
a time on trailers towed by bikes!

When I was growing up, my mother or I would even use one of those
folding carts that one of my friends calls a "granny cart" to haul
sometimes maybe 8 or 10 sacks of groceries, even when my family lived a
mile from the supermarket. Sometimes we hauled groceries by bus or
trolley, sometimes my mother felt comfortable with some of the
"gypsy"/"hack" unlicensed taxis that made customers of a particular
supermarket their main customers. At that time the only one in my family
licensed to drive anything was my father, and only licensed to drive a
motorcycle - the only motor vehicle in my family.

And be sure and tell your plumber, electrician etc. not to ever show
up at your house driving anything but a Prius or some other tiny
little hybrid. Hope you have plenty of tools and ladders and such for
them to use when you need your air conditioner or plumbing et al
repaired since they won't be able to carry any of that stuff anymore.

Actually, I would not bitch out such people for driving vans or whatever
size truck is needed to carry around the tools that they need to have on
hand. If a vehicle with less fuel consumption is up to the task, then
here is a business opportunity - compete against someone whose business
expenses are bloated by use of an excessively wasteful vehicle.

And tell everyone that actually works for a living, something that you
apparently have little or no experience with, that they just need to
get up off their lazy asses an hour or two earlier and get to steppin'
if they want to walk to work ontime.

I usually commute to my "day job" by bike. It takes me only 5 minutes
more time than my car does. When the weather is bad, I can take the bike
if it's my only way, but then again in bad weather I mostly ride the bike
only while being paid to ride it. There is an advantage to living within
a few blocks of a major transit terminal where there are 2 public transit
routes that go within 3 blocks of my "day job". One of those 2 routes was
not stopped by the historic snowstorms that hit the Philadelphia area last
winter.

SNIP from here

- Don Klipstein )