Bike Swap Meet this weekend?

Old November 28th 03, 12:40 AM
cfsmtb

Default Bike Swap Meet this weekend?

hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely happening
in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?

It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

cool.

Old November 28th 03, 01:13 AM
hippy

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely

happening
in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?

Can't find anything on this...

It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

Are you going to the MCoW?
Blackburn has been pushing it a bit. I wouldn't mind
seeing some track racing. It's a good oppurtunity for
some action photography too...

hippy

Old November 28th 03, 02:40 AM
cfsmtb

ja, weather & $$$ permitting, we will be attending. Track racing is a
bit beyond me (ie: participation), but it's a great spectator sport.
Yes, standing out in the "bar" having a few quiet little drinks, the
perfect PubBUG event! Ans not forgetting next w/k, Kona 24. Prep? oh,
don't ask me difficult questions.....

Old November 28th 03, 03:20 AM
Deep Freud Moors

On 28 Nov 2003 11:30:13 +1050, cfsmtb
wrote:

hi, searching for info on a bike swap meet that's apparentely happening
in Melbourne this w/k. Sat or Sun?

It's shaping up to be a big bike weekend, kicking off with CM8, then
Melb Cup on Wheels + this proposed swap meet.

Allow me to fill you guys in!

It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

According to the flyer it's the first one in Melbourne ever, which I
find quite suprising!
---
DFM
Old November 28th 03, 03:40 AM
PiledHigher

Its not the 1st, blackburn cycling club held one in 2001 and I am sure
there have been others.

They have just moved from Sydney according to their own hype so how
would they know?

Old November 30th 03, 08:19 AM
hippy

Default Bike Swap Meet this weekend? (Melbourne Cup on Wheels)

"cfsmtb" wrote in message
ja, weather & $$$ permitting, we will be attending. Track racing is a
bit beyond me (ie: participation), but it's a great spectator sport.

I can confirm this! :-) That was some damn good racing I saw last night.
Danny Clarke, 50-something, just kept going and going.. if he didn't win
he placed - the man is a legend!
Some nasty crashes in the women's racing, but everyone _seemed_ ok.
The neck-and-neck finish with Jobie Dajka, Mark French and I think
Shane Kelly? was awesome to watch! I can't believe how much time
these guys spend looking behind themselves to watch for an attack..
Their bike handling skills are awesome to say the least.

Yes, standing out in the "bar" having a few quiet little drinks, the
perfect PubBUG event! Ans not forgetting next w/k, Kona 24. Prep? oh,
don't ask me difficult questions.....

hehe.. okay, how about: Have you got a bike? Have you chilled beer?

hippy

Old November 30th 03, 08:33 AM
hippy

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in
message
It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

I scored:
- Front and Rear Tioga Factory XC $10ea
- Vee brake levers $5ea (no shifter pods - for the SS!)
- Mongoose bmx pedals $10
- Two sets Deore vee calipers $20
- Shimano carbon-fibre brake booster $10

Who actually ran and organised this thing? It was pretty cool!
I'd like to see some more of them happen - especially if it was
promoted a bit more and more sellers turned up.

hippy
Anyone want to buy a Brooks leather saddle? Look pedals?

Old November 30th 03, 10:21 AM
Derek

On Sun, 30 Nov 2003 19:33:13 +1100, hippy
wrote:

"Deep Freud Moors" wrote in
message
It's on at the Bike Bar in Fitzroy, at 47 Chapel St (between Brunswick
and Smith, one street south of Johnston). Set up your stalls for free
at 8am on Sunday. Doors open to buyers from 9 am to 1 pm.

Any full bikes? Happening on a regular basis from now on?
Old November 30th 03, 11:36 AM
hippy

"Derek" wrote in message
news
Any full bikes? Happening on a regular basis from now on?

There were a few complete bikes. Road and mtb as
well as frames, wheels and all the other crap people
attach to bikes

I'm not sure if it is being done again (hope so!) but
I did get an application form for a Bike Bar
newsletter - whatever that is.. they should've put
an email address on it for slackers like me who
wont post stuff via snail mail.

hippy

Old November 30th 03, 10:43 PM
powinc

PiledHigher wrote:
Its not the 1st, blackburn cycling club held one in 2001 and I am sure
there have been others.
They have just moved from Sydney according to their own hype so how
would they know?

Went down to the swap meet and found about 20-30 friendly people set up.
There were a hand full road bikes, a few frames, but mostly parts for
sale. Pricing seemed cheap and even negotiable.

powinc

Duct Tape reduces vibration! Wayne Pein Techniques 22 April 29th 04 11:35 PM
Convert Hybrid to Touring bike Willy Smallboy Techniques 23 March 26th 04 01:03 PM
FAQ? Just zis Guy, you know? UK 18 October 1st 03 01:02 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM