do police stations still sell recovered bikes? 2nd hand bikes

Old September 15th 06, 07:09 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Maurice Wibblington

Default do police stations still sell recovered bikes? 2nd hand bikes

I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

is this something that police stations still do? I'm wondering about
getting a 2nd hand bike - must be hundreds sitting in sheds/garages
doing nothing but gatheiring rust? I was surprised to see how few
local to me on ebay.

Old September 15th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:09:01 +0100, Maurice Wibblington
pimple@arse/met wrote:

I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

is this something that police stations still do? I'm wondering about
getting a 2nd hand bike - must be hundreds sitting in sheds/garages
doing nothing but gatheiring rust? I was surprised to see how few
local to me on ebay.

have a look at Bumblebee Auctions
http://www.bumblebeeauctions.co.uk/XcAuctionPro.asp

Nigel
replace SPAMHATER with n and t*sc*li with totalise
Old September 15th 06, 07:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Sandy Morton

In article , Maurice
Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

Our local nick leaves them in the garden in the hope that someone
will take them away.

--
A T (Sandy) Morton
on the Bicycle Island
Old September 15th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bill

"Maurice Wibblington" pimple@arse/met wrote in message
I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

is this something that police stations still do?

Is ringing them up and asking a bit too obvious...?

bill

Old September 16th 06, 02:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
snip
I was surprised to see how few local to me on ebay.

Old bikes don't seem to sell well on eBay - I've seen a few starting at
under a fiver that would have made great commuters or winter hacks but
didn't get any bids. It's probably just as well that they weren't near
me, or I'd have a few more bikes that don't get ridden enough.
Old September 17th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
cas

"Rob Morley" wrote in message
t...
In article
Maurice Wibblington pimple@arse/met wrote:
snip
I was surprised to see how few local to me on ebay.

Old bikes don't seem to sell well on eBay - I've seen a few starting at
under a fiver that would have made great commuters or winter hacks but
didn't get any bids. It's probably just as well that they weren't near
me, or I'd have a few more bikes that don't get ridden enough.

Here in the Poole area the police sell them off through a local auctioneer
room in a general sale every 6x months or so ,there is often some good
cycles there.Also if you go to your local tip its' surprising what is thrown
away ,they usually keep the good ones aside for resale ,have a look....cas

Old September 17th 06, 06:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Neil Williams

Maurice Wibblington wrote:
I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

is this something that police stations still do? I'm wondering about
getting a 2nd hand bike - must be hundreds sitting in sheds/garages
doing nothing but gatheiring rust? I was surprised to see how few
local to me on ebay.

Try your local tip. I'm told there can be some good bargains there
from people who bought bikes and never (or rarely) used them.

Neil

Old September 18th 06, 09:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Forcer

On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:09 Maurice Wibblington wrote:

I'm wondering about getting a 2nd hand bike - must be
hundreds sitting in sheds/garages doing nothing but
gatheiring rust? I was surprised to see how few
local to me on ebay.

The problem with run-of-the-mill bikes on eBay is a) transport costs -
means that only local bidders would have any interest and b) new bikes
are so cheap compared to parts for servicing an old one.

I suggest by far the best option is "FreeBay", ie Freecycle. The
Southampton Freecycle forum often has bikes on offer. Unfortunately,
I don't know of a portal for finding the nearest Freecycle group to a
postcode - there ought to be one?

--
Tim Forcer
The University of Southampton, UK

The University is not responsible for my opinions

Old September 18th 06, 10:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
elyob

"Neil Williams" wrote in message
ups.com...
Maurice Wibblington wrote:
I'm sure I read years ago that the lock nick was selling bikes that
had either been recovered from tea leafs, or had found their way to
the police station by some other means.

is this something that police stations still do? I'm wondering about
getting a 2nd hand bike - must be hundreds sitting in sheds/garages
doing nothing but gatheiring rust? I was surprised to see how few
local to me on ebay.

Try your local tip. I'm told there can be some good bargains there
from people who bought bikes and never (or rarely) used them.

I would have thought that as well, until I visited my local one this
weekend. An absolute pile of rubbish. They were all rusted to bits, missing
wheels, chains etc... For £10 each, it still wasn't worth it.

http://static.flickr.com/82/246362378_0f79a87ecb_b.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/90/246362233_8c0f366e9e_b.jpg

Old September 18th 06, 11:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Scandrett

Tim Forcer wrote on 18/09/2006 09:17:
I suggest by far the best option is "FreeBay", ie Freecycle. The
Southampton Freecycle forum often has bikes on offer. Unfortunately,
I don't know of a portal for finding the nearest Freecycle group to a
postcode - there ought to be one?

AIUI freecycle is done by area, so the best you'll get is the 'official'
geographical-ish regional list on freecycle.org:

http://freecycle.org/display.php?reg...ited%20Kingdom

HTH

Peter