Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Old August 26th 07, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia

Default Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic! Fly has an excellent light by Cateye with five bright
LCD beams, that runs off 5 AA batteries. But it's a big hoiky thing and
I can't see getting two of them between my bum and the bars.

It would be preferable to have lights on both sides of me, since I will
now be a wide vehicle. Rob at Westcountry had that super-expensive
system on his Greenspeed that uses rechargeable battery packs. But that
was £500 just in lighting, and too expensive for me in addition to the
rest of the purchase, which will already clean me out for many months.

EFR
Ile de France
Old August 26th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tim Hall

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:21:44 +0200, Artemisia wrote:

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

You need to ask Mr. Larrington. Malheuresement he is hors de combat at
the moment.

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic! Fly has an excellent light by Cateye with five bright
LCD beams, that runs off 5 AA batteries. But it's a big hoiky thing and
I can't see getting two of them between my bum and the bars.

Go with the dynamo option but use B&M standlights. These have a
halogen lamp which givesa nice bright light when in motion, and an LED
which gives enough light for you to be seen when at a stop.

Alternatively more bar real estate can be conjured up by using a
Minoura Space Grip or similar product. I've got a Minoura on one of my
bikes and apart from rattling screws loose it's been rock solid.
Others report they seem to be made of cheese these days. My recumbent
has a Topeak Bar X-Tender, which is more adjustable than the Minoura
and seems robust. I put a Cateye light with 5 LED (not LCD!) beams on
it.

Tim
Old August 26th 07, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Artemisia

Tim Hall wrote:

Go with the dynamo option but use B&M standlights. These have a
halogen lamp which givesa nice bright light when in motion, and an LED
which gives enough light for you to be seen when at a stop.

Thanks, I was just coming to the same conclusion. I've been googling all
the options in turn, and have finally discovered what "standlight"
means! I wish someone had told me about that when I paid all the extra
to get a hub dynamo on Behemoth.

So yes, Busch & Muller Dymotec 6 with Standlight. Considerably cheaper
than the SON hub option, and I've read postings that say the drag is
almost negligeable. Do you know if the drag can be removed completely
when the dynamo is off, or is there always some?

I'm hoping that as a corollary to this big investment, I will be able to
extend the number of days in the year when I can ride the bike to work.
The ability to ride by night would open up all the months between
October and March. Currently I feel too unsafe with the poor night
visibility aggravated by my balance problems.

EFR
Ile de France
Old August 26th 07, 10:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tim Hall

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:51:02 +0200, Artemisia wrote:

Tim Hall wrote:
So yes, Busch & Muller Dymotec 6 with Standlight. Considerably cheaper
than the SON hub option, and I've read postings that say the drag is
almost negligeable. Do you know if the drag can be removed completely
when the dynamo is off, or is there always some?

As it's a tyre driven dynamo, "off" is acheived by moving the dynamo a
small distance from the tyre. "On" is acheived by moving it such that
the roller on the end of the dynamo rubs against the tyre. The
Dymotec has a small switch to do the turning on, by releasing a
spring.

The upshot of all this is that when it is off, it's not in contact
with the tyre, so there is no drag.

Tim
Old August 26th 07, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Alan Braggins

In article , Artemisia wrote:
I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Lights probably want to be mounted at the front of the boom, not
on the handlebars anyway.

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic!

You can get standlight dynamo lights that stay lit from a capacitor
while stopped. Or use a battery light as well as a dynamo, the dynamo
to see with, the battery to be seen by.
Old August 27th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Mirrors will still fit on the bars. The B&M Cyclestar should work fine
(that's what Roos & I both use on our underseat-steered 'bents). Lights
will typically fit on some sort of braze-on on the boom. Most companies
making the things have thought about it, HPVel certainly have as they
supply lighting as a standard option.

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic!

That's not aproblem with dynamos, but dynamos with lamps without a
standlight option... if you get lamps with standlights you have several
minutes backup light once you stop, which removes the problem. B&M
DToplight Plus at the back is an example, Lumotec Oval Plus on the front.

It would be preferable to have lights on both sides of me, since I will
now be a wide vehicle.

Not /much/ wider than the handlebars in a typical case. It's uncommon
for trikes to run multiple lateral sets and I'm not aware anyone has
ever raised that as an issue before, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rob at Westcountry had that super-expensive
system on his Greenspeed that uses rechargeable battery packs. But that
was £500 just in lighting, and too expensive for me in addition to the
rest of the purchase, which will already clean me out for many months.

Rechargeable lamp sets start at around £20 for some entirely reasonable
kit (e.g.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=1387).
As long as the front lamp will mount on the boom somewhere, possibly
via something like a Space Grip, these should be quite acceptable. Use
an LED unit on the back rack to sort out the rear, the battery for the
front will usually hang off the main tube.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old August 27th 07, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tosspot

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Miguora space savers helped me on this point.

As for lighting systems, let the war begin....

Old August 27th 07, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
_[_2_]

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:21:44 +0200, Artemisia wrote:

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Halogen 20 watt on the front mech post - about 2 ft off the ground, angled
slightly upwards. LED modules (surplus from traffic signs) on the front
mudguards and top corners of the seat. Red LED bar (from auto
third-stop-light applications) along top edge of seat. Logic box and
12-volt gel cell just under seat; switches (4) mounted at top of right
steering bar.

Current configuration of the switches is such that the front makes the
20-watt and LED bar go on, for high visibility situations; rear one makes
the LED modules show green (to front) and red (to rear) for lo-vis, right
or left make the LED modules blink green/yellow (to front), red/yellow (to
rear) for turn signalling or 4-way look-out-you-idiot flashing.

Airzound also mounted on the front mech post, actuating button remote on
the left steering bar, close to the nice little bell for peds.

Old August 27th 07, 11:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Danny Colyer

On 27/08/2007 22:23, _ wrote:
Airzound also mounted on the front mech post, actuating button remote on
the left steering bar, close to the nice little bell for peds.

With USS I find that the AirZound works very nicely mounted just below
the left hand grip, with the button positioned to be pressed by the heel
of my left hand.

My bell is nicely positioned to be rung by the heel of my right hand.

--
Danny Colyer http://www.redpedals.co.uk
"Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down. Daddy, put that down.