TDF:Tour tries radio silence

Old June 20th 09, 10:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
hizark21

Default TDF:Tour tries radio silence

Tour tries radio silence
(http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence )
The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages

I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
use a single radio channel.
Old June 20th 09, 10:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Davey Crockett[_5_]

hizark21 a écrit profondement:

| Tour tries radio silence
| (http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence )
| The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages
|
| I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
| has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
| ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
| restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
| and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
| this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
| use a single radio channel.

Radios are just another form of cheating.

--
Davey Crockett
-
Old June 20th 09, 01:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
William R. Mattil

hizark21 wrote:
Tour tries radio silence
(http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence )
The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages

I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
use a single radio channel.

Only if they are all forced to use the same channel. Now *that's*
entertainment!

Bill

--
William R. Mattil

http://www.celestial-images.com
Old June 20th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Jim Feeley[_2_]

On 6/20/09 2:03 AM, in article
, "hizark21"
wrote:

Tour tries radio silence
(
http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence )
The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages

I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
use a single radio channel.

IIRC, radios were banned at a couple recent U23 races. And they won't be
allowed at the French nationals next weekend. And the TdF has been talking
about a possible ban for at least since spring '08.

Your single-channel idea is interesting. Though I could envision a lot of
messages about a "hazard" that has five minutes on the field...

I'm OK with the ban and look forward to what happens in the two radioless
TdF stages. Perhaps a break won't be caught with the kinda boring precision
we've seen the last few years.

Anyway I think it'll be fun and will skew results less than say a TTT.

Jim
PS- I don't check messages sent directly to this email address. Too much
spam. But I'm not hard to find on the internet...
--
Jim Feeley
POV Media

Old June 20th 09, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
nobody

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 02:03:41 -0700 (PDT), hizark21
wrote:

Tour tries radio silence
(http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence )
The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages

I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
use a single radio channel.

The smart team will use spotters stationed along the route and get
info to the riders that way, using hand signals or signs or something.

Old June 20th 09, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

On Jun 20, 3:03*am, hizark21 wrote:
Tour tries radio silence
(http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence)
The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages

I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
use a single radio channel.

You say the TdF is too important to try a ban on radios, as if you
expect some sort of horrible outcome on those stages. What do you
really think my happen as a result of no radio contact between the
riders and directors?

I'll tell you what I think will happen. Attacks, lot's of 'em, with
riders left to their own devices to figure out which ones to chase,
which ones to ignore, etc... and perhaps toward the end of the stages
one or more of the GC contenders will actually race aggressively in
the hopes of taking advantage of an opponent's inattention. Now, if
that actually happens, those two radio-less stages will be two of the
best tour stages in years, IMO.
Old June 21st 09, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Jun 20, 2:22*am, Davey Crockett wrote:
hizark21 a écrit profondement:

| Tour tries radio silence
| (http://velonews.com/article/93621/to...-radio-silence)
| The TDF organizers will experiment with a radio ban in 2 stages
|
| I think the TDF is to important of a race to try a radio ban. The ASO
| has plenty of other races to try a radio ban. I think a outright radio
| ban is a step in the wrong direction. I am in favor of a partial radio
| restriction that would limit radio communications to race conditions
| and rider requests for water support etc. Some people have argued that
| this would be hard to enforce. So what about requiring all teams to
| use a single radio channel.

Radios are just another form of cheating.

That's a valid view, mine is slightly different. Radios make racing
less competitive, because they can give even the most brain-dead rider
the racing tactics of a top DS. For me, keeping track of where
everyone is, who is a threat, and how to communicate and control (or
be controlled by) a team are all differentiating skills, just like
being a good descender.

I hope they ban radios completely. But, I doubt that will ever
happen.

Brad Anders
Old June 21st 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Tom Kunich

"Paul B. Anders" wrote in message

That's a valid view, mine is slightly different. Radios make racing
less competitive, because they can give even the most brain-dead rider
the racing tactics of a top DS. For me, keeping track of where
everyone is, who is a threat, and how to communicate and control (or
be controlled by) a team are all differentiating skills, just like
being a good descender.

I hope they ban radios completely. But, I doubt that will ever
happen.

And my take is that radios allow us to see the best RIDERS since they don't
have to be evil genius's at tactics.

Old June 21st 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article
,
Scott wrote:

On Jun 20, 3:03Â*am, hizark21 wrote:
[...]

First there will be mass confusion. Then if a radio ban
is enacted for a couple seasons, stage races will
finish line. The strongest riders will continue to win.

--
Michael Press
Old June 21st 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Paul B. Anders

On Jun 20, 6:40*pm, "Tom Kunich" cyclintom@yahoo. com wrote:
"Paul B. Anders" wrote in ...

That's a valid view, mine is slightly different. Radios make racing
less competitive, because they can give even the most brain-dead rider
the racing tactics of a top DS. For me, keeping track of where
everyone is, who is a threat, and how to communicate and control (or
be controlled by) a team are all differentiating skills, just like
being a good descender.

I hope they ban radios completely. But, I doubt that will ever
happen.

And my take is that radios allow us to see the best RIDERS since they don't
have to be evil genius's at tactics.

Best chess pieces, I think.

Brad Anders

The Silence is Deafening Lou Knee[_3_] UK 33 May 27th 09 05:47 PM
Silence-Lotto Andre Racing 0 May 25th 09 02:19 PM
Won't Silence the Doubts [email protected] Racing 2 September 11th 08 03:04 PM
A Moment of Silence Tom Kunich Racing 82 January 25th 08 07:23 AM
Tour de Georgia - Race Radio? starganz Racing 8 May 5th 05 03:19 AM