uni essay... eh?

Old November 30th 07, 07:46 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

Default uni essay... eh?

i had to write it for an english class. if you notice any errors please
notify me so that i can fix them.

My UNIque hobby

The idea of riding a unicycle is weird to most people. It seems that
clowns are the only people who ride unicycles. Clowns may have to
learn to ride a unicycle as part of clown school, however, the majority
of people that can ride a unicycle are not clowns at all. In fact, the
people who ride them are most commonly “normal” people. There are also
a few people who cannot be called clowns or “normal” riders. These
people are more extreme, more into it, and can easily entertain most
people; I am one of these people. Unicycling is sport to me. I have fun
doing it, not only because it is entertaining and physically
enlightening, it is also very relaxing and stress relieving to me.

Unicycling is a new experience for me each time I sit down and start
pedaling. I always find new ways to ride it or new things to jump on,
over, or even through. It is a great feeling to find a new pathway
across an object I have already used as an obstacle. I visualize what
I am going to do to get over the object, finding things to make my
original path harder, or more visually pleasing for an onlooker. Then I
go for it. I very rarely do what I had planned at first, however, that
makes it more fun. I find even more ways to jump across things when I
go a different route. It gives me more options and more ways to
challenge myself. I improve my skill by finding things that are just
out of my reach and trying to jump on them. I convince myself that I
do have the ability to get on that object, find a way to improve my
chances, and make several attempts at getting on the object.
Unicycling is not only about having a new experience and improving, it
has a lot of physical affects as well.

Riding a unicycle is a fairly good physical workout. The type of
riding that I do involves every major muscle group. It takes a large
amount of force to launch myself into the air on my unicycle. It seems
complicated to someone who is just learning, or someone who is looking
on, however, it is actually quite simple. The basic motion is very
similar to jumping off flat ground with the exception of taking the
unicycle along for the ride at the very last second. The more force and
better timing I put into the jump the higher I can get. The jump is
not the only physically challenging part of riding a unicycle. Riding
for long periods of time is also very tiring. It causes the legs and
back to become sore rather quickly compared to similar exercises.
Coordination is another big factor when it comes to Unicycling. It
takes a huge amount of coordination to ride a unicycle on a rail, or
jump onto one. Unicycling is fairly physical, therefore, it has some
menal affects as well.

It takes almost no thought for me to get on a unicycle and ride it.
Tricks are a whole different ball game. Easy tricks are somewhat
thoughtless and easy for me to do, while I have to break down others
into several steps to do them. Pushing the limits of my jumps takes a
fairly long thought process as well. I have to decide whether or not it
is safe to do what I want to do, if it is a risk I am willing to take,
if it is near possible to do what I want to, and how far and high I am
going to jump to get on the object. Unicycling also has a huge affect
on my mood, and vice versa. If I am disappointed or really distracted
by other thoughts, I can not do half of the tricks I could on a day
where I am happy and excitable. Looking from the other perspective, if
I am really mad, and need to relax, I can jump on my unicycle and go
for a long relaxed ride to calm down.

Unicycling has many effects on me, whether they are physical and
obvious, or subconscious. I like it because it is a good “get away,”
even in a crowded place. Some people think it is weird, yet I find it
quite interesting and cool. It is a big thing to me, however small it
may seem to a bystander. Unicycling is my special thing however weird
it may seem.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS-for enjoyment purposes mostly'
(http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)

The UniSLAB wrote:
don't worry about those little clown tricks called flips and wrap
arounds. We don't dance with our unis, we jump them[over trucks]

sutton629 wrote:
I honestly have a hard time believing that you are really a white guy

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 30th 07, 08:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uni_mattster

[...]

of physical *effects* as well.

[...]
*mental* affects as well.

It takes almost no thought for me to get on a unicycle and ride it.
Tricks are a whole different ball game. Easy tricks are somewhat
thoughtless and easy for me to do, while I have to break down others
into several steps to do them. Pushing the limits of my jumps takes a
fairly long thought process as well. I have to decide whether or not it
is safe to do what I want to do, if it is a risk I am willing to take,
if it is near possible to do what I want to, and how far and high I am
going to jump to get on the object. Unicycling also has a huge *effect*
on my mood, and vice versa. If I am disappointed or really distracted
by other thoughts, I can not do half of the tricks I could on a day
where I am happy and excitable. Looking from the other perspective, if
I am really mad, and need to relax, I can jump on my unicycle and go
for a long relaxed ride to calm down.

Unicycling has many effects on me, whether they are physical and
obvious, or subconscious. I like it because it is a good “get away,”
even in a crowded place. Some people think it is weird, yet I find it
quite interesting and cool. It is a big thing to me, however small it
may seem to a bystander. Unicycling is my special thing however weird
it may seem."

Really good essay man. I enjoyed it and I think you explained a few
elements of unicycling really well.

I put in bold a few errors I noticed at a glance (yesm I'm a
perfectionist). I put "however" in bold because I don't think it needs
a comma after it. I don't know how you do things in America (No offence
intended at all) but that's how I would punctuate those bits. And also
I think "get away" should probably be "getaway" or "get-away" so it's
not interpreted as like somone yelling "GET AWAY!" or anything.

So yea, really good essay and I hope you get good marks

--
uni_mattster

You can never honestly answer "no" when questioned on the todayness of
Opposites Day
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 30th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
superiorbalence

I really enjoyed reading that, one suggestion shouldn't an essay be
longer

--
superiorbalence

Rowan wrote:
"It had a baby!" Said a man pointing at my 16" which I was carrying
while riding my 36".

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 30th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

Maybe add a new second paragraph to explain unicycling in more basic
terms. Talk about freestyle, MUni, trials, road riding, etc. Include
the different types of unicycles. You started out with an introductory
paragraph and by paragraph 2 you are already at advanced and technical
levels. Most people think a unicycle is just something to ride and all
of a sudden you are talking about jumping. That might lose some people.
After some basic discussion then continue with your exisiting essay
which goes into detail about your MUni?/trials? riding (not sure which
or if both).

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
http://www.usenet.com