Global Cycling News

Old July 28th 20, 02:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Global Cycling News

On 7/27/2020 7:57 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 13:05:20 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

http://www.aohflorida.org/the-irish-slave-trade/

Oh dear. Obviously the writer nows nothing of the fuller history of
Ireland. Well before the English, there was the Roman Catholic church and
the Vikings.

I do know about that. And long after Viking times, the Swedes were cruel
conquerors of many people. That's why I've stopped speaking to all my
former friends of Scandinavian ancestry.

Really, anyone whose distant ancestors ever oppressed anyone should be
shunned. There's a lot of shunning needed!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 20, 02:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/27/2020 8:14 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:50:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

On 7/27/2020 7:13 AM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 03:26:21 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 10:28:25 PM UTC+1, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I suggest a simple test for the morality of the situation. If you
lived in Ireland during the 1740 famine, and were offered a free ride
to America in trade for some vaguely non-specific work situation,
would you take it when the only alternatives were starvation or
cannibalism? No need to answer, just think about it.

--
Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com Santa Cruz CA 95060

It's not quite that simple, Jeff. For instance you make the assumption
that all these starving families could be reached to make the offer of
indenture equitably to all of them. It just doesn't answer to the
realities. But it is an easy and common error, widely also made by
professionals:

Snipping AJs story and to cut to the point, many Irish people were
seasonal labourers in England for centuries before the years of the
famine.

FWIW, that continued long after the famine. From what I've read, it was
still happening in the 1950s and 1960s, at least. I don't know if it
still happens today.

It was 'before the famines' that interested my for family history and its
existence isn't widely known.

I play a lot of traditional Irish tunes with my friends. It's well known
that (for example) Donegal fiddling is heavily influenced by Scottish
fiddling, and there are songs and tunes in both areas that are closely
related. It's said the reason for all that is the regular migrations of
seasonal workers.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 20, 02:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/28/2020 10:11 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 07:12:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 3:57:41 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 7/26/2020 4:42 PM,
wrote:
On Sunday, July 26, 2020 at 1:09:57 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2020 08:43:51 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

The country with probably the longest history of slavery making comments
like that? Those that they didn't sell into slavery or enslave in foreign
countries, they shipped of to Australian to die.

White Cargo
The Forgotten History of Britain’s White Slaves in America
https://nyupress.org/9780814742969/white-cargo/

Snopes gives that meme a grade of “Well, not quite true”.
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/ir...early-america/

Snopes and Answers are entirely politicized and misleading. Don't believe one single thing they "rule" on.

OK, give us your alternative.

It certainly isn't some ignorant biased lying bull**** from someone like you who will simply take the opposite opinion of mine just like CNN does of Trump such as when Trump says that China is going bad things by invading Hong Kong and CNN then defends the Chinese Communist Party. You are the sort of filth that if you weren't so old, weak and ready to die would be beaten to death.

Jeeeze but you are stupid. "China invading Hong Kong"? As Hong Kong is
a part of China their actions in Hong Kong are no different from the
Federal Government's actions in Oregon.

What is it that they say, "Sauce for the goose, sauce for the gander"?

Interesting point. But I'd say China's moves are more worrisome than
those of the Trump administration, largely because Trumpers don't have
complete control over the courts.

Yet.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 20, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/28/2020 10:42 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 08:27:38 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 7/27/2020 9:30 AM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

snip?

Seriously now, isn't it possible in the U.S. today to get along on
minimum salary? I don't mean to have the 40" TV in the toilet and all,
but to get along? Maybe only one bicycle (I know how scary that is)
and a second hand car, pay the rent and eat?

Yes and no. A single person could survive on a minimum wage job, renting
a room from someone, using food stamps and a food bank for food, and not
owning a car. But they could not rent a market-rate apartment with a
minimum wage job. To rent their own apartment they would have to get s
Section 8 voucher or get into a subsidized Below Market Rate (BMR)
apartment (for which there is a big waiting list).

Certainly I haven't been in the U.S. in nearly 50 years but, while I
don't doubt you, it seems almost unbelievable that in the "greatest
economy in the world" a working man can't get along without government
assistance.

In contrast, in this little downtrodden nation, our "Cleaning Lady"
who comes in half a day, and undoubtedly works somewhere else the
other half, supports two school age kids - her husband ran off and
left her - rents a small, maybe 2 - 3 room place, owns a small
motorcycle, all without any help whatsoever from the Government,
although in honesty I have to say that Thailand has universal health
care.

Universal health care would make a huge difference to low income
Americans. It might also stop the practice of Americans showing up at
expensive Emergency Rooms to get treated for minor maladies like severe
colds, bad headaches, etc.

We have a (now retired) ER physician in the family. He has many
interesting tales to tell about that.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 20, 11:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 12:53:06 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:

I now potter with project and live of my investments.

You sound like an entry I once saw in a job application for a cleaning position at our Delhi office: "Education: Junior Certificate, failed"; I told the personnel manager to give the fellow the job for his wit and the next time I swung by promoted him to the coffee trolley and told the manager to send him to driving school, and in a very few years he was the personnel manager of all our indigenous staff. I doubt an illiterate like you ever rose above plugging in their computers for housewives. Let's look at your single sentence again:

I now potter with project and live of my investments.

Actually, with both gross error corrected, it should read:

I now potter with projects and live off my investments.

Andre Jute
Gross is right -- and this clown thought he could be a writer!
Old July 28th 20, 11:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 2:32:42 AM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I play a lot of traditional Irish tunes with my friends. It's well known
that (for example) Donegal fiddling is heavily influenced by Scottish
fiddling, and there are songs and tunes in both areas that are closely
related. It's said the reason for all that is the regular migrations of
seasonal workers.
--
- Frank Krygowski

If you kept your mouth closed, Franki-boy, you would seem less ignorant. Get a map, look at where Donegal is, right next to the separate country of Northern Ireland, read up about the Plantation, and even you might eventually come to the conclusion that "migrations of seasonal workers" had absolutely nothing to do with any similarity of folk music between Donegal and adjacent Scottish-settled countries, and consanguinity and an open border everything.

You sound like an idiot even on America, so common sense dictates that you should STFU about distant nations for fear of sounding even more of an idiotic jerk.

Andre Jute
What a smug, ignorant moron this man Krygowski is
Old July 28th 20, 12:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 03:29:43 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 12:53:06 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:

I now potter with project and live of my investments.

You sound like an entry I once saw in a job application for a cleaning
position at our Delhi office: "Education: Junior Certificate, failed"; I
told the personnel manager to give the fellow the job for his wit and
the next time I swung by promoted him to the coffee trolley and told the
manager to send him to driving school, and in a very few years he was
the personnel manager of all our indigenous staff. I doubt an illiterate
like you ever rose above plugging in their computers for housewives.
Let's look at your single sentence again:

I now potter with project and live of my investments.

Actually, with both gross error corrected, it should read:

I now potter with projects and live off my investments.

Wow, it took you long enough to work it out. Do you also move your lips
when you read something.
Old July 28th 20, 12:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 03:41:10 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

[...]

Lol, thus speaks someone who read it on Wikipedia or was it the local
tourist signage.

Andre Jute What a smug, ignorant moron

What was that book that you claimed summarised all of world history;
Gideons, Gibbons, whatever. I love it when, after claiming expertise,
people show their ignorance by claiming 'Northern Ireland' when it has SFA
to do with the subject matter.

Old July 28th 20, 02:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 7/28/2020 6:41 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I normally ignore Jute the Troll, but some of his misinformation is too
vile to let slide.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donegal_fiddle_tradition

"The Donegal fiddle tradition is the way of playing the fiddle that is
traditional in County Donegal, Ireland. It is one of the distinct fiddle
traditions within Irish traditional music.[1]

"The distinctness of the Donegal tradition developed due to the close
relations between Donegal and Scotland, and the Donegal repertoire and
style has influences from Scottish fiddle music. For example, in
addition to the standard tune types such as Jigs and Reels, the Donegal
tradition also has Highlands (influenced by the Scottish Strathspey). ..."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old July 28th 20, 03:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:09:14 AM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
[...]

Your comments have been so ignorant that if you have any investments at all it is entirely inherited.