Gravel bikes

Old July 28th 20, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Gravel bikes

What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy
Old July 28th 20, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 17:09:31 UTC-4, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I have old rigid frame & fork MTBs (converted to dropbars) that I ride on gravel roads or trails. I enjoy them a lot and the conversion wasn't expensive. Cost wise it sure beats buying a new dedicated gravel bike.

Cheers
Old July 29th 20, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 2:09:31 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I've had several good one's. Two Redline Conquests and a Ridley. They are sort of like comfortable road bikes. Not quite as fast but more sure-footed. I got rid of them for a good sport bike - the best of the lot they were replaced with was the last model of the Lemond Zurich made from Reynolds 853 steel tubing. VERY nice bike with all of the advantages of a gravel bike. Just put a set of wide tires on it and you could ride it nearly anywhere.

The "modern gravel bike" has a single advantage from them and that is the disk brakes with the "flat mounting". And the one advantage of that is that brake shoes are easy and cheap to replace vs. rim brakes wearing out the brake track on good wheels. The flat mounting makes the disk actuator difficult to break or even get damaged.

To tell you the truth, I've used most bikes as "gravel bikes" and I feel that it is a fad.
Old July 29th 20, 04:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 4:48:34 PM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, 28 July 2020 17:09:31 UTC-4, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I have old rigid frame & fork MTBs (converted to dropbars) that I ride on gravel roads or trails. I enjoy them a lot and the conversion wasn't expensive. Cost wise it sure beats buying a new dedicated gravel bike.

Cheers

You are right, the gravel bikes are expensive.

About how much was the conversion?

Andy
Old July 29th 20, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 6:22:22 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I looked up the Redline Conquest.

I have read where carbon frames can crack?

Andy
Old July 29th 20, 06:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 11:09:31 PM UTC+2, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

Andy

I fully agree with their statements. From the moment I bought a cross bike never touched my FS mountain bike. So much more fun. Same goes for my gravel bike which is more capable on road than my cross bike. Sold both of my ATB; FS and hardtail.

Lou

Lou
Old July 29th 20, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/28/2020 10:06 PM, AK wrote:
[...]

Yes they can and do.

Same with steel of various types, aluminum, scandium,
titanium and wood. Name your poison and go ride.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 29th 20, 02:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, July 28, 2020 at 8:06:41 PM UTC-7, AK wrote:
[...]

Yes, poorly made carbon can break. That is why you only buy them new and from a reputable manufacturer such as Specialized or Trek. Trek has lifetime warranties on their top line products and carbon gravel bikes fall into that category.
Old July 29th 20, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]

On 28/07/2020 22.09, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

They should have a word with their sponsors because those 29" wheels
looked 27" to me.

Old July 29th 20, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 7:58:32 AM UTC-7, Tosspot wrote:
On 28/07/2020 22.09, AK wrote:
What do you think of a gravel bike?

Does anyone have one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC_xFpg_UmA

They should have a word with their sponsors because those 29" wheels
looked 27" to me.

Although those sorts of bikes normally mount 700c, those particular wheels certainly look 29" to me.

A real reason for gravel bikes? Frank Krygowski[_4_] Techniques 83 February 24th 20 01:39 AM
Gravel rash anyone? Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 5 July 23rd 10 12:06 AM
Sand and Gravel Nick Jackson Racing 1 October 14th 09 02:00 AM
Why do some walk their bikes across gravel? Mike Reed Techniques 80 June 12th 06 02:20 PM
Hit gravel, broke leg Ron Teplitz Recumbent Biking 199 June 28th 05 10:43 AM