Bikers perform citizen’s arrest after spotting pickpocket steal war hero’s wallet

Old November 16th 19, 06:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder Esquire

Default Bikers perform citizen's arrest after spotting pickpocket steal war hero's wallet

JNugent wrote:
On 16/11/2019 11:19, TMS320 wrote:

On 15/11/2019 13:30, JNugent wrote:
On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

Strange that when I'm driving my car, I have no problem observing
cyclists clearly.

Half a mile away, in the dark, on dipped headlights?

When cycling it provides no benefit, and I have no requirement or
expectation to be seen from half a mile away.

Not even at night, on a road where speeds of 60 or 70 mph are the
norm?
When driving on the type of roads that cyclists typically use, speed
limits and sightlines do not require me to see them from half a mile
away.

You cannot know that.

I would refer you, though, to the case of a (female) cyclist killed on
the A23 a few years ago, cycling straight across a grade-separated
interchange by following the demarcation line between the nearside
through lane and the deceleration line leading to a slip road. Or it
might have been the line between the acceleration and nearside lanes
on the far side of the junction. Being ultra-visible in such a situation
is crucial - *even* during daylight hours and hi-viz kelps even on a
sunny day.
You'd certainly notice an on-foot police traffic officer (and his
car) at that distance. Well, unless you are one of those who is
opposed to the use of headlights.

Perhaps you should pay a visit to Specsavers.

In Nugent's case, the problems go much deeper than eyesight.

Oh dear... TMS has run out of witty things to say. Some time ago, of
course.

He is not very bright. Cyclists are not noted for intelligence.

Old November 17th 19, 09:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 16/11/2019 15:36, TMS320 wrote:

On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

Strange that when I'm driving my car, I have no problem
observing cyclists clearly.

Half a mile away, in the dark, on dipped headlights?

When cycling it provides no benefit, and I have no requirement
or expectation to be seen from half a mile away.

Not even at night, on a road where speeds of 60 or 70 mph are the
norm?

I don't cycle on 60/70mph roads.

Right, and that applies to every cyclist in the world, does it?
I had no idea that you had such power as an "influencer".

You're the one telling me what I should wear.

You're trying to change the subject.

The subject is not you. perhaps you think it should be, but it isn't.

When driving on the type of roads that cyclists typically use,
speed limits and sightlines do not require me to see them from
half a mile away.

You cannot know that.

I do know that.

You cannot, so do not.

If you have that much trouble, please return your driving licence before
you harm somebody.

Trying to change the subject isn't a good tactic. Trying to change it by
posting gibberish is even worse. It isn't about me or about you. That
should have been clear, even to you.

I would refer you, though, to the case of a (female) cyclist
killed on the A23 a few years ago, cycling straight across a
grade-separated interchange by following the demarcation line
between the nearside through lane and the deceleration line
leading to a slip road. Or it might have been the line between
the acceleration and nearside lanes on the far side of the
junction. Being ultra-visible in such a situation is crucial -
*even* during daylight hours and hi-viz kelps even on a sunny
day.

A fascinating anecdote but I have no idea what it is meant to
demonstrate.

It means that there are circumstances where being visible from as
great a distance as is physically possible is not only desirable but
imperative.

You have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

Visibility, sight lines and reaction times are always issues on
high-speed routes.

But perhaps your view is that because you weren't there and "don't cycle
on 60/70mph roads", it doesn't matter. That'd be in line with what you
have posted above.
Old November 17th 19, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

[...]

Indeed. But you have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

But perhaps your view is that because you weren't there and "don't
cycle on 60/70mph roads", it doesn't matter. That'd be in line with
what you have posted above.

FYI, I do drive on them. Do you cycle on them?
Old November 17th 19, 04:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

[...]

Before I answer that, perhaps you could clarify whether visibility and
sight lines (and their effects on reaction times) matter on high speed
routes even if you don't cycle on them?
Old November 17th 19, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 17/11/2019 16:20, JNugent wrote:
On 17/11/2019 16:10, TMS320 wrote:
On 17/11/2019 09:26, JNugent wrote:
On 16/11/2019 15:36, TMS320 wrote:

anecdote about killed cyclist snipped

You have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

Visibility, sight lines and reaction times are always issues on
high-speed routes.

Indeed. But you have no idea whatsoever whether visibility was the issue.

But perhaps your view is that because you weren't there and "don't
cycle on 60/70mph roads", it doesn't matter. That'd be in line with
what you have posted above.

FYI, I do drive on them. Do you cycle on them?

Before I answer that, perhaps you could clarify whether visibility and
sight lines (and their effects on reaction times) matter on high speed
routes even if you don't cycle on them?

You missed my "indeed". But you still have no idea whatsoever whether
visibility was the issue.
Old November 18th 19, 11:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Kerr-Mudd,John[_2_]

On 15/11/2019 13:19, Bod wrote:

[...]

People who aren't very bright often repeatedly post the same tired
insults.

--
Bah, and indeed, Humbug.