worn pants

Old November 16th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dieter Britz[_4_]

Default worn pants

I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

--
Dieter Britz
Old November 16th 19, 05:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/16/2019 10:56 AM, Dieter Britz wrote:
I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

I have no personal experience with the fuzzy saddle covers, but I'd
guess they would help.

Back when I used leather saddles, my commute distance increased from 2.5
miles to 7 miles each way when I changed jobs. I was then distressed by
dark stains on my lighter work trousers.

I then began using a thick (maybe 0.005") plastic bag as a saddle cover.
That solved my problem, and I wonder if it might solve yours. The
polyethylene bag has much less friction than the leather.

Eventually, I switched to synthetic saddles that solved the stain
problem. The saddle's lycra cover doesn't cause stains, IME.

I've had some pants eventually show wear, but my wife seems to think I
should buy new trousers ever five to ten years anyway. Go figure!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 16th 19, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/16/2019 10:46 AM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Similar experience here. Slacks are cheap, meh. And a big +1
on Cinelli #5 saddles (or similar) for commuting.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 16th 19, 10:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 10:47:38 AM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Slacks aren't cheap. I got tired of wearing out the seats or getting shiny seats on fairly nice pants, plus the occasional grease on the lower leg when clips or straps or what-have-you failed to keep the pants out of the chainring. No matter what cover you put on a saddle, the chaffing will ruin a good pair of wool blend slacks. Jeans and chinos may have better luck, but that's not what I wear to work. Maybe Dieter should change at work. That has worked for me for the last 30 years, and it gives me the opportunity to comfortably spin home or to work through the hills if I'm so inclined. https://tinyurl.com/sv47r9c (alternate way to or from work).

-- Jay Beattie.
Old November 16th 19, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/16/2019 4:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm sure nice wool slacks would suffer more than the cotton or cotton
blends I typically wore and still wear. My stuff also goes in the washer
with no problems.

Of course, I've used dry wax lube on my chain for years; and I pin my
cuffs out og the way with safety pins, which I find much more secure
than metal clips, velcro straps, rubber bands, etc. I've had almost no
problem with greasy cuffs.

For long commutes or lawyerly dress occasions, changing clothes can
certainly make sense. For other situations, it's not needed. And
luckily, we professors have always been allowed to be a bit disheveled.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 16th 19, 10:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, 16 November 2019 10:56:25 UTC-5, Dieter Britz wrote:
I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

--
Dieter Britz

I don't know about a saddle cover buy I used to wear a very thin pants over my work pants and then take off the outer pants at work.

Cheers
Old November 16th 19, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/16/2019 3:09 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Good point. Not all of us can work in $5 slacks from second
hand stores. Further, I expect my attorneys not to dress
like bicycle mechanics.

Old November 16th 19, 11:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 3:56:25 PM UTC, Dieter Britz wrote:
I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

--
Dieter Britz

Brooks Bros in New York used to carry silver-gray slacks in a wool/lycra blend that had a bit of stretch. Maybe they still do. I still have several pairs. They do as well as khakis and cords on the bike (I use a Brooks leather saddle) and are pretty smart with a dress shirt, club or regimental tie, and blazer.

Andre Jute
If you buy the best, you don't need to worry about changing fashions because your clothes will last forever
Old November 17th 19, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 16, 2019 at 1:44:42 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

I'm usually without a tie unless I have to go to court, but I still wear wool or wool blend slacks and a button-down dress shirt. I was down at the Oregon Court of Appeals a while back, using the bathroom along with a guy from the PD's office who was changing into a rumpled suit he had folded into a backpack. I think he rode over on a bike -- and his suit looked like hell, but the PDs are expected to look rumpled. It's about a 50 mile ride to the CA, so I'm not riding down with a suit in a backpack and 20lbs of record, cases and briefing.

Totally OT, but I was over in court yesterday and had to sit through a couple of criminal dockets. Some of the PDs are on the fine edge of "no shirt, no shoes, no service," IMO. Total thrift store garb, and they're all young and edgy with cell phones glued to their hands, practically yelling over the phone to their clients as they exit the court room, typically with good news that the judge has excused some dope move like failing to show up at a probation hearing.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old November 17th 19, 03:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 16 Nov 2019 15:56:20 -0000 (UTC), Dieter Britz
wrote:

I know probably most of you are recreational cyclists,
using lycra gear, but I ride my bike to work and back
every day, and I wear a hole into the seat of my pants
after a year or two. The rest of the pants are still OK.

If cloth on a leather saddle abrades a hole in cloth, then maybe
trading materials will help. Wear lederhosen (leather pants) and ride
on a cloth saddle. That way, you abrade a hole in the bicycle saddle
and remain presentable in the lederhosen.

Would one of those sheep skin seat covers help with that?
I have a fairly hard racing saddle.

Maybe. I could use some details.
1. What type of saddle (leather, plastic, fake leather, cloth cover,
etc?
2. What type of pants material? Denim, wool, cotton, synthetics,
blends, bias ply, stretch, etc?
3. Where exactly are you abrading a hole in your pants? If on the
sides of the saddle, make sure your saddle is not too high so as not
to produce a lateral rocking motion while riding.

Lycra and Spandex are urethane based cloth that is highly stretchable.
Worn tightly against the skin, the Spandex will stretch tight and not
show any wrinkles or folds. This results in both the surface of the
saddle and the Spandex to be smooth, low friction, not have any dirt
traps, and presumably not wear holes in either the saddle or Spandex.

Now, replace the Spandex with non-stretch cloth commonly found in
street clothes. The cloth will trap dirt in the fiber producing
something similar to sandpaper. You can see the dirt with a
microscope. Clean cloth on a fake leather saddle is fairly low
friction. Dirty cloth on the same fake leather shows a much higher
coefficient of friction. That also applies to dirty cloth creating a
friction burn on human skin. Under the microscope, dirty cloth
sometimes looks like sandpaper.

If you don't change the fake leather saddle and the unspecified type
cloth pants, you could eliminate the problem by simply applying a
greasy lubricant to your pants. Unfortunately, this only works for
mechanics. Second best is to place a layer of something between the
fake leather saddle and the cloth pants, that is less susceptible to
abrasion and is fairly slippery. Cellophane wrap, Teflon sheet, wax
paper, aluminum foil, etc will work. Anything that is contiguous,
stretches tight without wrinkles, and does not trap dirt, will work.

Sheep skin is known for preventing bed sores caused by pressure
points. However, that doesn't involve friction or abrasion. All the
sheep skin does is distribute the static pressure over a wider area so
as not to produce bruises and sores. That's not the problem here.
Sheep skin might work if it is properly lubricated (lanolin). However,
if the coefficient of friction between the sheep skin and cloth pants
is high, it could wear the pants down quicker than the fake leather
saddle.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

FYI - Keep your pants on! zog Australia 0 December 13th 05 09:16 AM
Bike pants TimC Australia 1 December 13th 05 12:05 AM
Tom Pants [email protected] General 0 December 27th 04 09:33 PM
Pants vernon levy UK 12 July 25th 04 10:02 AM
More Drivel on "Look" Cleats - How Worn is Too Worn? Suzy Jackson Australia 5 August 22nd 03 07:42 AM