Voiding the warranty -- Dyno Redux

Old January 8th 20, 10:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Voiding the warranty -- Dyno Redux

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 8:46:40 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2020 2:16 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 6:12:24 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's a question:

How many here have crashed on the road or a rail-trail because their
headlight was insufficient?

(I'm not talking about off-road woods riding.)

--
- Frank Krygowski

Most people adapt their speed Frank. When the daylight saving time ends I start riding in the dark from begin to end. My average speed drops 3 km/hr.

IOW, your response is "Not me." Correct?

--
- Frank Krygowski

I can't remember a crash because of that but there are moments I think I wish I could ride faster.

Lou
Old January 8th 20, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/8/2020 3:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/8/2020 1:45 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2020 12:07 PM, jbeattie wrote:

The deal with dyno lights is that they are wickedly
expensive, and with a decent hub dyno, even more so. You
would think that $400-500 for tippy top of the line stuff
would get you a stadium light with cut-off. You would not
even think there would be any back-and-forth on the subject.

This sounds similar to "Bike tires should last 30,000 miles
like on my SUV. And bikes should have complete electrical
circuits built in for horns and sirens and any other
accessory the rider wants. And why aren't spokes 1/8" thick?
If one breaks, the mountain lions will get me!"

A bicycle should be an example of appropriate technology.
Yes, "appropriate" varies from person to person. But only
bicyclists traveling as fast as cars need car headlights. I
don't understand why bicyclists demand overkill in just this
one area.

I do agree about the cut-off, though. I've been blinded a
few times and seriously irritated many more by the "more is
always better" crowd.

Huh how about that.
Also sounds similar to 'no one ought to ride a tire cross section I
personally dislike'.

I believe you misunderstand me on that point.

What I've said instead is, it's silly to design a bike frame that limits
tire sizes to the narrowest ones.

You can put a 19mm tire and wheelset into a frame with clearance for
28s. It works, and it was done for decades. But vice-versa doesn't work.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 8th 20, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 11:33:06 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2020 3:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

We have noted that a long time ago Frank. I'm sure you can't get 60 mm balloon tires in all your frames. Some people have different limits.

Lou
Old January 8th 20, 10:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 12:10:35 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/8/2020 9:40 AM, Sepp Ruf wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

I've been commuting home at night for the last 35 years in Portland, much
of it in the rain during the wet months, so its like thousands and
thousands AND thousands (did I mention thousands?) of miles in the dark,
and all I got to say is that the Luxos B and the SPPD8 suck compared to a
sale-table all-in-one battery light, my L&M Urban 800. Even on low beam.

It's not a low beam. As you could have looked up and mentioned yourself,
your L&M flashlight's low setting produces 175 factory lumens. An undamaged
Luxos is certainly putting out less than half when you ride at 10 mph, and
much of it purposefully directed at the beam's top.

Good point, that there's a difference between "low beam" and "dimmer
beam." When I mentioned upthread that there might be a (very) few times
I'd like a high beam, I meant light shining upward, not light just
shining brighter.

But of course one needs a light that shines upward.... how else can
one dodge thoese overhanging tree branches (:-?)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 8th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 1/8/2020 4:32 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/8/2020 3:23 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

pffft.

I've been buying the same style 22~23mm tubulars since I was
a teenager and have run them in a good many bicycle frames
without any clearance troubles whatsoever. Only one of those
frames was custom built and tire clearance was never
mentioned when ordering that.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old January 8th 20, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 6:12:24 PM UTC+1, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Here's a question:
How many here have crashed on the road or a rail-trail because their
headlight was insufficient?
(I'm not talking about off-road woods riding.)

Most people adapt their speed Frank. When the daylight saving time ends I start riding in the dark from begin to end. My average speed drops 3 km/hr.

IOW, your response is "Not me." Correct?

I can't remember a crash because of that but there are moments I think I wish I could ride faster.

Way back when, I was living in a small town in Japan and used to ride
a bike. In those days a tire driven generator and an incandescent bulb
head light was about all there was and strange as it might seem I had
no problems seeing well enough to successfully get back and forth to
work.

+1

And we enjoy more light than our grandfathers' acetylene
lamps. A good thing about modernity is anyone who wants
more light may have it at low cost, bicycles or wherever:

https://ourworldindata.org/light

(couldn't find Nordhaus' original work from the early 1990s
but the graphs are just as impressive in link above)

Old January 8th 20, 11:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ted Heise

On Wed, 8 Jan 2020 09:07:25 -0800 (PST),
jbeattie wrote:

I've got a couple broken ribs from the last crash that hurt
like a MF. I crept home in the pouring rain last night, feeling
every unseen bump climbing up the goat road to my neighborhood.
Creeping along at 6-10mph up a climb...

Your creeping climb mph is my all out attack. Damn winter/holiday
fat.

--
Ted Heise West Lafayette, IN, USA
Old January 8th 20, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 7:20:40 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 1/8/2020 1:08 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 5:07:28 PM UTC, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 8:33:20 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Wednesday, January 8, 2020 at 2:40:25 PM UTC, Sepp Ruf wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

I've been commuting home at night for the last 35 years in Portland, much
of it in the rain during the wet months, so its like thousands and
thousands AND thousands (did I mention thousands?) of miles in the dark,
and all I got to say is that the Luxos B and the SPPD8 suck compared to a
sale-table all-in-one battery light, my L&M Urban 800. Even on low beam.

It's not a low beam. As you could have looked up and mentioned yourself,
your L&M flashlight's low setting produces 175 factory lumens. An undamaged
Luxos is certainly putting out less than half when you ride at 10 mph, and
much of it purposefully directed at the beam's top.

I suspect I've got a problem with my light and will do some more testing
tonight with my sooper-sophisticated Radio Shack multimeter.

More uncertainty induced by a questionable cat meter, operated by a lawyer.
For how many years have you been complaining about that Luxos? Come on,
send the damn thing to Frank! The California-made, plastic flashlight he is
willing to dump^Wswap has not gotten better by sitting in his garage..

+10.

Based on the
Peter White beam shots and the some other stuff off the interweb, the
light should be brighter than it is -- unless the interweb is wrong, and
that's impossible.

They rip you double at the Bar Council for being so gullible.

Maybe your intraweb skills that are inadequate. Forget PW's sales material,
it's a nice presentation of beam shapes, but similarly exaggerating of the
brighter lamps' visual impressions as b&m's pictures taken inside their
misleadingly lightly painted garage. By contrast, J. Basler's photos and O.
Schultz's measurement data have been up for years for the inqusitive to
study -- and for the ignorant to ignore or deny. This
https://www.baslerbikes.de/files/BaslerBikes/Bilder/Fotos/Leuchtentest%202013/Leuchtentest/IMG_0040_233731.jpg
is a better illustration of what a Luxos rider sees on dark asphalt, at 20
kph.

Perhaps that road was wet. My asphalt is usually grey rather than black, including the tarmac on the lane where this photo was taken:
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....59139#msg59139

I still use the first series Cyo, waiting for a quantum-step from BUMM. But meanwhile I've given up riding in the night when it rains because at my age a broken hip will just be too debilitating.

I've got a couple broken ribs from the last crash that hurt like a MF. I crept home in the pouring rain last night, feeling every unseen bump climbing up the goat road to my neighborhood. Creeping along at 6-10mph up a climb, I decided to skip the Luxos dying Tinker Bell mood light and fire up the L&M. Today I drove to see if I could get some healing, so no riding home in the dark tonight. I didn't bother with more testing last night. Maybe I'll do that tonight.

You're just putting the rejoining of the bones off, and weakening the bond that forms, by doing handyman jobs on you bike. Sit in an easy chair with your feet up and get your dog to bing your slippers.

The deal with dyno lights is that they are wickedly expensive, and with a decent hub dyno, even more so. You would think that $400-500 for tippy top of the line stuff would get you a stadium light with cut-off. You would not even think there would be any back-and-forth on the subject.

I've been saying that for a very long time. I see absolutely no reason a bicycle shouldn't have lamps at least as good as those on a car, and I don't mean the crap lamps fitted to American cars, I mean European E55 spec lamps or better.

The good news is that my Showers Pass jacket kept me dry. That's a nice piece of kit. And all my wrenching over the weekend produced a quite drive train. The BB30 bearings were in great shape, and reinstalling the crank with a little grease stopped the clicking. The dyno wheel has a different rotor which was a little grabby, but not terrible.

I've developed my bike to near-zero maintenance. Once a year I change the gearbox oil, give the clickbox for the gears a shot of Phil, and every second or third year I check the thickness of the brake blocks, the depth of the rubber on the tyres and the wear on the chain which runs for its entire life on the factory lube.

Five stars for the over-priced Hayes feeler gauge: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1500_.jpg

Don't you have a thumbnail? Or a torch that you can hold behind the brake block which instantly tells you whether there is the right amount of space and whether the block is angled right if need be or straight if that is wanted.

Perfect adjustment of the calipers with no drag. Another Christmas gift was this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1000_.jpg Also convenient, but redundant.

What does it do?

It sets the bearing preload cap in the Shimano LH crank arm
while reminding the user of happier days with its Gripfast
wingnut styling.

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk...griffith10.jpg

That thing looks like a trophy. The tool Jay showed looks pretty rough by comparison.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Thanks for the explanation, gentlemen.

Andre Jute
Why is a disturbed person called a wing nut? Because his brain is cross-threaded..

Dyno Hub Question jbeattie Techniques 387 October 14th 14 06:47 PM
Dyno Light jbeattie Techniques 34 October 6th 14 10:06 AM
Dyno with USB outlet? Duncan Smith UK 21 March 1st 08 01:24 PM
Bc Tire Review: Dyno Fireball Evan Byrne Unicycling 34 December 26th 05 09:26 PM
questions on the dyno fireball 24"x3.0 dubmuni2004 Unicycling 7 April 4th 04 05:59 AM