Rigid Forks: Old School vs New School?

Old January 25th 10, 11:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Default Rigid Forks: Old School vs New School?

"Old School" =
http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" = http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?
--
PeteCresswell
Old January 25th 10, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Norman

On Jan 25, 5:03*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?

If made correctly, the unicrown fork should be
stronger, lighter, & stiffer and cheaper to make.

Unicrown forks are uglier, but I guess that's the
price of progress.

But those two forks aren't really comparable:
I'm pretty sure that broze fork is made for much
narrower tires and in any case the legs are
quite a bit smaller diameter.
Old January 25th 10, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 25, 4:03*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?
--

Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

Old January 26th 10, 02:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Jan 25, 3:37*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:03*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?
--

Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

sa
Old January 26th 10, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 25, 7:08*pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:37*pm, landotter wrote:

On Jan 25, 4:03*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?
--

Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

That phrase only gains gravitas if you say it while bearded and Bell
Biker'd.
Old January 26th 10, 02:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:08 pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:37 pm, landotter wrote:

On Jan 25, 4:03 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:
"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/
"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/
Can somebody elucidate the diff?
Is one stronger than the other?
Cheaper to make?
Stiffer?
--
Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

That phrase only gains gravitas if you say it while bearded and Bell
Biker'd.

Bell Biker? Modern revisionist.
http://www.ciclomuseo-bartali.it/tes...lettacoppi.htm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old January 26th 10, 04:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

semi-ambivalent wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:37 pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:03 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/
"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/
Can somebody elucidate the diff?
Is one stronger than the other?
Cheaper to make?
Stiffer?
--

Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

sa

I know which one *I* would pick, given the choice. Sorry, but I have
about the same reaction to fork number two as Jay Beattie has to recumbents.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old January 26th 10, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
semi-ambivalent[_2_]

On Jan 25, 6:14*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 7:08*pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:

On Jan 25, 3:37*pm, landotter wrote:

On Jan 25, 4:03*pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/

"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/

Can somebody elucidate the diff?

Is one stronger than the other?

Cheaper to make?

Stiffer?
--

Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

That phrase only gains gravitas if you say it while bearded and Bell
Biker'd.

I've been Brancale-d and Bata Biker-ed, albeit in the past. Does that
count?

sa
Old January 26th 10, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 25, 10:44*pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:
[...]

Only if you wore the Batas with piping'd basketball shorts and tube
sox. I'm a stickler.
Old January 26th 10, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 25, 7:57*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
semi-ambivalent wrote:
On Jan 25, 3:37 pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 25, 4:03 pm, "(PeteCresswell)" wrote:

"Old School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/long_haul_trucker_fork/
"New School" =http://surlybikes.com/parts/1x1_fork/
Can somebody elucidate the diff?
Is one stronger than the other?
Cheaper to make?
Stiffer?
--
Unicrown should be stronger, so suited to disc brake use. For medium
width tires using rim brakes, the biggest difference is aesthetics.

These days aesthetics have no place in cycling.

sa

I know which one *I* would pick, given the choice. *Sorry, but I have
about the same reaction to fork number two as Jay Beattie has to recumbents.

Hey, I don't have a problem with recumbents -- really. Those sock
things look dorky, but then again I don't like people who dress alike
on tandems (unless they are racing on a team). I also don't like fat
old guys wearing tight team kit. I seriously hate bohemian wanna-be
messenger poseurs on fixies with six inch straight bars. I have all
sorts of quirky dislikes. -- Jay Beattie.

School charging for pupils cycling to school TonyB[_2_] UK 60 March 30th 09 10:57 AM
Highland Middle School Bicycle to School Day Claire Petersky General 5 May 23rd 06 02:25 AM
FS: Rigid forks Joseph Mitschiener Marketplace 1 July 18th 05 04:11 PM
Rigid Forks? Doki Mountain Biking 7 August 12th 04 05:48 PM
Changing front suspension forks to rigid forks dannyfrankszzz UK 14 May 30th 04 09:03 PM