130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame

Old January 25th 05, 09:16 PM
Richard Hamilton

Default 130mm travel fork on 100mm travel specific frame

I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

I read things in magazines about bike geometry etc. but what is the actual
overall effect of having this additional 30mm of travel. Is it going to
damage the bike in anyway? Is the bike going to become unbearable to ride?

I'd be interested in your thoughts or experiences on this.

Thanks

Rich

Old January 25th 05, 09:26 PM
bri719

Richard Hamilton wrote:

I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

I read things in magazines about bike geometry etc. but what is the actual
overall effect of having this additional 30mm of travel. Is it going to
damage the bike in anyway? Is the bike going to become unbearable to ride?

I'd be interested in your thoughts or experiences on this.

there was a thread about a week ago -- someone mentioned the rule of
thumb is 1 degree of change in the top tube angle for each inch of
increase in front travel. haven't tested said theory, but if it's true
then you probably won't screw up your frame angles too bad at all (30mm
= 1.811 inches according to google).

also depends on your type of riding I'd think, so YMMV.

good luck,
bri

--

* enjoying the karma *
remove LKJSDFJSD from address to email

Old January 25th 05, 09:32 PM
Richard Hamilton

"bri719" wrote in message
Richard Hamilton wrote:

I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

I read things in magazines about bike geometry etc. but what is the actual
overall effect of having this additional 30mm of travel. Is it going to
damage the bike in anyway? Is the bike going to become unbearable to ride?

I'd be interested in your thoughts or experiences on this.

there was a thread about a week ago -- someone mentioned the rule of thumb
is 1 degree of change in the top tube angle for each inch of increase in
front travel. haven't tested said theory, but if it's true then you
probably won't screw up your frame angles too bad at all (30mm = 1.811
inches according to google).

also depends on your type of riding I'd think, so YMMV.

good luck,
bri

Thanks for the pointer - I'll look up the thread on Google.

Cheers

Rich

Old January 25th 05, 10:02 PM
bri719

Richard Hamilton wrote:

Thanks for the pointer - I'll look up the thread on Google.

no prob -- by the way I typed that wrong.

it should have been "30mm = 1.1811 in."

bri

Old January 25th 05, 10:24 PM
D T W .../\\...

""Richard Hamilton" wrote in message
I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

I read things in magazines about bike geometry etc. but what is the actual
overall effect of having this additional 30mm of travel. Is it going to
damage the bike in anyway? Is the bike going to become unbearable to ride?

I'd be interested in your thoughts or experiences on this.

Thanks

Rich

This was posted @ 1/20

subject: Fork height advice

Keando" wrote in message

I have recently bought a 2003 Kona Kula frame to build up. I am
looking for front forks to use on the bike. The Kula originally came
with 80mm Marzocchi MX Comp air forks - What would the effect be on
the bike to put a set of 100/105mm forks on instead?

TIA

Keando

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest, I've just wasted.

Old January 25th 05, 11:02 PM
Shawn

Richard Hamilton wrote:
I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

I read things in magazines about bike geometry etc. but what is the actual
overall effect of having this additional 30mm of travel. Is it going to
damage the bike in anyway? Is the bike going to become unbearable to ride?

I'd be interested in your thoughts or experiences on this.

Lots of bikes with a front shock were like this when suspension forks
first came out (except Baker's :-). Frames weren't designed for shocks
and they worked fine despite a 1.5 inch or so increase in head tube
height over rigid forks. IIRC longer forks have more sag to start with,
so the effect will be less than the full 30 mm difference.

Shawn
Old January 26th 05, 08:16 AM
OMaurizio

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 21:16:28 GMT, "Richard Hamilton"
wrote:

I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

Hi
You will loose performance on steep uphill (e.g. wandering front wheel
and tendence to get unwanted wheelies), you will have a faster and
more reliable bike on fireroads downhill, you will have worse control
in tight technical downhills (wider steering angle).
You can choose. It's not a matter to damage the bike, it' a matter of
handling.
On my Rocky Mountain ETS X70 I have a Psylo (80-125 mm) so I can
adjust whatever lenght of fork. But I seldom use 125mm travel because
of the felling of the bike with this extension, I found that the best
handling is: uphill all the way short, trails on 100 mm, downhill and
freeriding 110-115mm.
You could think to the new Fox Talas 90-130, so you will be able to
continuosly graduate the fork extension.
Bye
Maurizio from Italy
Old January 26th 05, 01:22 PM

wrote:

I have a 2004 Orange Evo 4 with a Manitou Axel Super Disc 100 fork.

If I stuck a Fox Vanilla 130R on it would it matter?

Hi
You will loose performance on steep uphill (e.g. wandering front

wheel
and tendence to get unwanted wheelies), you will have a faster and
more reliable bike on fireroads downhill, you will have worse control
in tight technical downhills (wider steering angle).
You can choose. It's not a matter to damage the bike, it' a matter of
handling.

I beg to differ. *Too* long of travel can damage a frame
if it's not designed to handle that extra fork length.
Think of it as a lever exerting force upon the head tube
and welds connecting the top and down tube. Too long of a
lever will exert more force. It's one reason adding a longer
travel fork can void a warranty. It's probably rare that it
happens and a small increase over the original probably
won't hurt anything as many bikes are desighned to handle
the longer travel, but you should check with the manufacturer .

From Brodie's website:

"What Will Void Your Warranty"

"Installing a fork with longer travel than was originally
specified for that bike. If it was purchased as a frame only,
the maximum acceptable fork length is the same as what the
corresponding bike model was spec'd with, as outlined in the
Specification Chart."

Old January 26th 05, 02:54 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

I beg to differ. *Too* long of travel can damage a frame
if it's not designed to handle that extra fork length.
Think of it as a lever exerting force upon the head tube
and welds connecting the top and down tube. Too long of a
lever will exert more force. It's one reason adding a longer
travel fork can void a warranty. It's probably rare that it
happens and a small increase over the original probably
won't hurt anything as many bikes are desighned to handle
the longer travel, but you should check with the manufacturer .

Very good point, but for the vast majority of frames out there, it's not a
concern for the average joe. The clause is there to cover their asses.
Frames are overbuilt, and the margin of safety is already pretty high. The
problem comes when 15-year-old Billy puts on a big fork, tries to jump
houses, and the lightweight frame snaps. Nobody here is dumb enough to do
exactly that.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old January 26th 05, 08:35 PM
jack

The
problem comes when 15-year-old Billy puts on a big fork, tries to jump
houses, and the lightweight frame snaps. Nobody here is dumb enough to do
exactly that.

How about this type of house jumping:
http://www.jokaroo.com/extremevideos/carhousejump.html